Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

11 hours ago, ced1106 said:

That said, with Siocast making small runs more possible, China's supply chain issues, and Reaper up to Bones VI, who knows if Reaper will run another Bones KS... 

Ok, I admit that I'm not "up with the times," what is this Siocast?  I've seen it mentioned a couple times.

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, strawhat said:

Ok, I admit that I'm not "up with the times," what is this Siocast?  I've seen it mentioned a couple times.

SioCast makes the machines and thermoplastic resin (SioRes) that's used for Bones USA, Talon Games DualCast, and several other miniature companies. 

In short, their machines use molds that follow a somewhat similar process for mold making as those for metal and resin miniatures, and getting a new mold sorted out is a lot cheaper than injection molding is.   One thing their demo agents like to showcase at trade shows is that you can literally fill a mold in just a few seconds, and are able to take the miniatures out after a short wait, which means it's handy for higher volume production. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

54 minutes ago, strawhat said:

I actually just saw it in a Ninjon video yesterday which covered his trip to Adepticon. It looked pretty much what Whitewulfe described. Pretty cool looking. I can link to the video if you like.

• Like 6

Oh, wow.

Thanks for the info!

I went ahead and hit YT and watched a couple videos.  Interesting stuff.

I like that you grind up the sprues and failed castings and have another go!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Carbon copies? Boring? Pretty?

(I'm not counting the dragon bust in any of the following conversation)

The three busts were, if I remember correctly, a princess, an elven princess with a baby dragon, and an elven ranger. Nothing wrong with any of those subjects. except that they're almost all the same thing. They're all very pretty (and there's nothing wrong with that), and they're the same thing. I could almost envision painting all of them with same colors of paint, and that seems boring. 

I think a little bit of variety would have helped more; an orc warlord, a dwarf warrior, a vampire, or maybe a cyborg might've given the set a little more appeal.

It's kind of a shame; I've always wanted to try painting a bust, but I don't want to spend $50 (or more) on an experiment. 

(Yes, I did get the busts from the last KS, I wanted to show support so they'd make more. The elven ranger is the only one that I foresee possibly getting painted, though. I'm not a good enough painter to paint elven princesses and have them come out looking halfway decent.)

I paint busts, resin even. But I do not like Elves...if only one of them was an undead, lizardman,gnoll or whatever I would have bought the set. I have the dragonbust in resin...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

SioCast makes the machines and thermoplastic resin (SioRes) that's used for Bones USA, Talon Games DualCast, and several other miniature companies. 

In short, their machines use molds that follow a somewhat similar process for mold making as those for metal and resin miniatures, and getting a new mold sorted out is a lot cheaper than injection molding is.   One thing their demo agents like to showcase at trade shows is that you can literally fill a mold in just a few seconds, and are able to take the miniatures out after a short wait, which means it's handy for higher volume production. 

Galladoria Games too!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Carbon copies? Boring? Pretty?

(I'm not counting the dragon bust in any of the following conversation)

The three busts were, if I remember correctly, a princess, an elven princess with a baby dragon, and an elven ranger. Nothing wrong with any of those subjects. except that they're almost all the same thing. They're all very pretty (and there's nothing wrong with that), and they're the same thing. I could almost envision painting all of them with same colors of paint, and that seems boring. 

You're right, very nice sculpts, very pretty, but none of them push the envelope and grab attention.  They are static, physically and emotionally.  Compare to Weibe's dwarf bust from years ago: 

bust5.jpg.f8518fd9ff41a132851f8f07e6ab643b.jpg

1079404242_DtDDkeYU4AA9x3i(1).jpg.dfd6a0b1bec41960838fd2b56f362782.jpg

This dude has attitude! 

And a number of popular busts from other companies: 

busts6.jpg.1d7ee21c752dc9dbe6486cfc82d5fef0.jpg

All very well sculpted, very pretty, but you can see more life in them, more motion, more story.  Reaper has some very fine artists and I wish they could get out of the box more often. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Those are all awesome sculpts, but is that last one on sale from a company? Because it looks familiar...:)

720X720-sorserer-bust-1.jpg.b93ca6f5d34157b1dcff54ec5450f392.jpg

oh yah, I have printed this one. Great bust from White Werewolf Tavern, I was on their Patreon for a while, then they started to have issues. But they have great models when they are on it, like this one for example:

720X720-witch-bust-2.jpg.cd771852af590fa9fa3b7a21116bf3af.jpg

and here's one from Daybreak (I know, elf, sorry)

720X720-deitin-the-whisperer-01.jpg.8b752e64924e339086d792bcdf405f2c.jpg

I would buy busts like this all day if reaper had some in their Kickstarter!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The original bust concept was for easily cast, affordable starter busts for the instructors to use in their painting classes, specifically for blending and painting hair. They were never intended as high end sculpts, just affordable busts so painters could branch out and try something new and fun without spending a lot. I don't believe that concept was ever covered in the Kickstarter text.      

Bob

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

The original bust concept was for easily cast, affordable starter busts for the instructors to use in their painting classes, specifically for blending and painting hair. They were never intended as high end sculpts, just affordable busts so painters could branch out and try something new and fun without spending a lot. I don't believe that concept was ever covered in the Kickstarter text.      

Bob

I have heard rumors to that effect, but no, it wasn't ever really explained in the fashion you just did.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

Bob

I wondered if that might be the case.  Reaper does market a lot of product to beginners, to get people into the hobby. And they do a great job at that.   I would still like to see you guys push boundaries a little more. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how well the busts did in the last Kickstarter, we do not have access to sales figures, and we weren't able to get copies to see how they turned out. I think Julie took a lot of unwarranted flack for those things. It would be fun to see what she would do if left to her own devices.

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

I don't know how well the busts did in the last Kickstarter, we do not have access to sales figures, and we weren't able to get copies to see how they turned out. I think Julie took a lot of unwarranted flack for those things. It would be fun to see what she would do if left to her own devices.

Bob

You are both very skilled and experienced, and I know Julie is a bit tired of the dragons (though they are wonderful), so I'm sure you could do amazing art pieces  given free rein. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do miss the Julie Dragons.thr new ones in bones 5 and 6 are alright, but they don't do the anatomy like Julie does. Julie's dragons have functional wings. All the parts are there, they are sized believably 

Like, don't get me wrong the non Julie dragons are nice 3D models. I got and painted most of the ones from bones 5. 

I just like a bit of functional wing anatomy on my dragons and the level of detail Julie brings to them, and no one does wings like she did. They don't put in vital parts of wing anatomy, or they are so small they look weird, and most often the wing membrane is shrunk so far up it's only at the base of the wing (like the new bones 5/6 dragons do). I love how Julie extends the wing membrane to the hips. It's much more believable anatomy wise, otherwise their rear ends are unsupported on flight

But I can understand how she might be tired of doin dragons. I will miss them

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 9

Don't worry Siri, she hasn't stopped doing Dragons ( check out the 2 new wyverns in Bones 6), she just had other assignments for this Kickstarter.  You should see the one she currently has on her desk 🙂

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5