Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

13 hours ago, msfnc said:

I think there’s still a great deal of value there. Especially considering what retail pricing is going to look like when it delivers. 

I'd just like to hammer on this point.

Retail pricing.

The Bones figures when they first came out were a revolution in pricing.

One of the rogues from the recent freebie of the month is $5.99 if you order him.  He's more expensive than some of the metal figures which could just be an indicator that Reaper needs to update it's entire catalog's prices.

I can't imagine in 2 years things are going to get cheaper.  Even if covid goes away, even if Russia resumes being a 'partner' or whatever you want to call it in world markets, even if the logistics issues are completely resolved.  Things long term only go in one direction.

• Like 11

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

Brendan Frasier is already even in Bones!

Wait, what? 

I may have understood this, but are you telling me that there is a Brendan Fraser Bones mini? If so, looks like I'm buying another box of minis to get him and the free shipping to Aus 😅

• Like 3

10 hours ago, haldir said:

Bones Black Owlbear never was released in a general release. That BB one was a preview mini that finally came out as part of of the DD box set (which I don't think is yet to hit retail. At least some of it has, but not all. I know the dragon hasn't hit yet & that's what I'd like out of it.)

I'm one of those people that missed that first owlbear and has been waiting for it to come to retail.  An encounter set looks like fun to paint, and it would be a nice display piece when it wasn't on the table.  I don't think Reaper has made "too many" of them yet, at least in comparison to the number of giants or demons they've put out. 

That dwarf that traffics in endangered species is going to be toast in my campaign, though. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

It does make me wonder; how many owlbears are too many owlbears? In D&D encounters, they strike me as a monster to use in isolation for a low level party. Like, bears are solitary hunters, which is probably where the "mama bear and her cubs" idea comes in as an excuse to have more... It's not an encounter I'd be likely to run (I don't want to force my players to orphan these poor cubs), but an added benefit of the encounter sets is that they're ready made for dioramas.

I did get the Bones Black Owlbear, and then got it again in the Dungeon Dwellers set. I think there's another owlbear in one of my orders somewhere.

Same for the Ogre, had that as a promo figure and also in Dungeon Dwellers. But beyond that, there's an ogre in the Bardsung set, there's an ogre in the Next Level Miniatures kickstarter... all with similar features but slightly different design. Ogres do seem like they could form a small society, so they seem more likely to show up together in games. 

Apparently six is too many.

image.png.5d6f62d0a9489eafdfab0f030d22f66a.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

2 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

So I have a question regarding the claims of too many Adventurers:

Do your parties never fight Bandits?  Plenty of those named in the Core set could serve as such.

Do they never encounter rival adventuring parties?  They're a common theme in pre written Adventure paths.

Any Wizard can be the Evil Warlock in his Tower with the right paint.

It seems like just because they're given a name and title people can only see them for a single use.  It reminds me of, I believe it was Ron, who told the story of someone looking for a character mini that was exactly like "Human Ranger Mason" but then not wanting it because it was labeled Ranger and their character was a Fighter.

image.png.0c9378322b0ee8941ad6ab3980c9555c.pngThis guy is the perfect example of that.  Is that a human wizard?  No, he's listed as a half-elf monk.  So... who buys it right?  Well, me because I always need hooded characters but yeah, buyers are strange.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

the instant I saw the Demonic Legion/Blood Demons, I knew I’d use them as Tanarukk (fiendish orcs).

I believe I saw you mention that back then, and mine are now reserved for that purpose.  I have a habit of wanting minis for things I've already used but didn't have a good mini for.  Whether or not I end up revisiting old games, who knows, but if I do, I'll have the minis this time!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

It seems like just because they're given a name and title people can only see them for a single use.  

There are apparently people like this out there in the world. I don't understand this mentality, even after I discovered my very creative son occasionally exhibits it.  

And I'm at the total opposite end of the spectrum - I seriously doubt that I will ever use one of the encounter sets as presented. All of my B5 Encounter sets were immediately broken up.  Dwarves put into my Dwarf box, terrain in with the rest of my terrain collection, animals and monsters in their appropriate boxes, etc. 

This discussion made me realize that I don't really know if any of my current players have an issue with seeing the title of a mini and dismissing it.  They have all picked their mini out of my Bones collection, and when I have them select one, I tell them "I can make minor modifications, so you want the mini to be holding a sword instead of staff or vice versa, or you don't like a shield symbol, ask me."   That's one of the reasons I've modified & painted Juliet so many times - I've given her a staff, made her dress show less leg/cleavage, given her a bird familiar, and a couple of other things. 

I wonder if some of my players would feel more constrained if I told them to search the Reaper site for a mini? Would the druid have ever considered Juliet if she had seen Reaper calls her a Sorceress? 

Back to Bones 6.  I was perusing my Bones comparison spread sheet, and I noted that all but Bones 5 made over $1 million in their last 5 days.  B5 was close, at about $900k, and was the 2nd most successful Bones KS.   I think we can safely assume at this point that even if B6 is the worst Bones KS ever that it is still likely to be over $2 million at the end

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

i've seen a similar thing with miniature dragons.

"But it's called a RED dragon! That means it must be red!"

that's one of the things i went over when i still went to ReaperCon and taught my dragon class. Being able to expand beyond what DnD says a dragon HAS to be, or look like, and take some creative liberties, thinking outside the box

but yea, there are a lot of people who see a dragon called this one specific color, or similar to a DnD dragon's look, and feel like it HAS to be that color no matter what

• Like 8

Oh man, I feel like that Owlbear set is going to pull another $18 out of me.  I've always wondered if owlbears were born, or hatched.  Inclusion of an egg satisfies that for me.

Encounter idea off the top of my head, for younger players getting their first introduction to RPGs, maybe under 10 y/o: the dwarf figure is a druid protector of the forest. Someone kidnapped the owlbear cubs and he can't help with the search, because he's keeping the mama from attacking the nearby village.  Players have to track down the culprit.  The dwarf suspects the orc tribe in the nearby hills.  There you go, two add-ons from this KS and you have yourself a session or two.

Edited by Magnus Brickson
Added things
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

that's one of the things i went over when i still went to ReaperCon and taught my dragon class. Being able to expand beyond what DnD says a dragon HAS to be, or look like, and take some creative liberties, thinking outside the box

but yea, there are a lot of people who see a dragon called this one specific color, or similar to a DnD dragon's look, and feel like it HAS to be that color no matter what

I am guilty of this. My kid helped cure me. They got a wizkids red dragon mini as a gift, and asked me to help them paint it. I immediately started grabbing reds, oranges, etc. They gave a look and said “it’s going to be silver.”

”but it says RED dragon, right there on the package!”

”it’s not for your game, dad. All my dragons are silver. You’re not the master of everybody’s dungeon.”

Words to live by. 

8 minutes ago, Magnus Brickson said:

Oh man, I feel like that Owlbear set is going to pull another $18 out of me.  I've always wondered if owlbears were born, or hatched.  Inclusion of an egg satisfies that for me.

Encounter idea off the top of my head, for younger players getting their first introduction to RPGs, maybe under 10 y/o: the dwarf figure is a druid protector of the forest. Someone kidnapped the owlbear cubs and he can't help with the search, because he's keeping the mama from attacking the nearby village.  Players have to track down the culprit. Maybe use the Orc pack for the bad guys..

I love this idea. I hope I can remember it in two years’ time!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

i like painting stuff as they are in the manual, etc.  i play around with some stuff here and there on them.

but depends on creature. dragons, if they are in the D&D style, i paint them according to the colours.  but other stuff like a chimera or a beholder i'll do whatever.

sanjay

• Like 6

I mean, my childhood favorite animals were bears and owls, so I'll always buy any owlbears on offer. And the owlbear from last kickstarter can be the father/aunt of the group.

Plus I definetly have some players who need to hatch and adopt everything to the point I had to introduce a zookeeper to take care of all their pets in the last campaign.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I struggle to break this habit, especially because I primarily use my minis for D&D.  I painted up some cheap dragons as the Big 5.  I have all the B5 dragons sitting unpainted currently.  Still want to adhere them to their D&D counterparts thematically, but I want to be a bit more creative.  "Red" might be darker and more magma inspired.  "Black" might have more greens to tie into the swamp base. Etc.  

Can always look at the way real-world animals are often called COLOR____ even if only a small portion of their coloration matches, or if they're not quite that color.

• Like 5