GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

Scalecreep, something we all have seen, do you mix minis like true 25mm/28mm/heroic scale/32mm in one unit/warband/group?

Sometimes I will mix in a ringer. 

But, the premise of the question is incorrect. I have been studying this issue awhile now. Alas, it is a bit of a hot button topic for me. [rant]

There is no such thing as Scale-creep, because there is no such thing as miniatures that are scale models. 

There I’ve said it once.

There is no such thing as Scale-creep, because there is no such thing as miniatures that are scale models.

And that makes twice. And, I tell you again for the third time.

(“…What I tell you three times is true...”)

And there never have been.  Miniature making companies really need to cease and desist with all use of the word scale when describing their products. It would be better, more accurate, and more truthful if they’d substitute the word size for every instance of the word scale

This is not to single out Reaper Mini in any way. Hasslefree, Ral Partha, Grenadier, Games Workslip, Spartan Games, Heritage, Target Games, Privateer all make or have made miniature figures that fail to be scale models. Various sizes; various companies. 

Gamers need to stop whinging and carrying on about “…scale…” of their figures period. Full stop. Cut. It. Out. Nothing in your figure collection is in scale with a full size anything, there was never a standard, and if there had been,  no one was willing to follow it. Companies that do figures need to stop using the word scale unless they really do scale model kits. Each company chooses sizes, might vary them over time, and there are some valid reasons the figures have anomalous size choices. But they really oughta get rid of the word scale, because it verges on false advertising of the product, and in some jurisdictions that is not particularly legal. 

[/rant endeth]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, haldir said:

I try to keep things together, bit as long as it looks & fits the size I'm going for, I have no prob with it.

That being said, I do have a problem trying to mix older 80s minis with the.current generation. Looks to much like "Attack of the Little People...."

All people start with a Random Height table, so it's easy enough to justify size differences in games like Stargrave. In 40k there is a significant difference between the original firstborn marines and the new primaris, but now the firstborn are being upscaled in the new Horus Heresy box to bring them in line with the true scale between them and primaris.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

Scalecreep, something we all have seen, do you mix minis like true 25mm/28mm/heroic scale/32mm in one unit/warband/group?

Or do you keep them all in exactly the same scale?

I like to keep everything roughly the same height and proportions on the game table.  Yes, people come in different sizes, but most people are within about 6" of each other, so unless you're specifically playing a half-giant or a midget everything should be the same height.  Otherwise it just looks weird, and players get distracted going on about how this one figure looks so tiny next to the others.  This goes for built up bases, too.  Unless it's a diorama or a display piece I don't like having the figure on a rock or hill half an inch above the others. 

DSCN4761.jpg.d263e137af9cd33e94594fe66c6dcabc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

I build armies for fun, I don't mind a little difference in size ( THX @TGP! It's actually size and not scale) but it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

For instance an Heroic 28mm next to a 32mm wouldn't bother me much but a 25mm figure that's almost 1:72 scale would not look good at a true 28mm sized figure that would resemble about 1:56 scale.

That said I do sometimes paint an older mini which I like a lot and then put it on a hill or rock to fit in more around the bigger ones.

Schermafbeelding 2022-04-11 184840.jpg

DSCN0621.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

Though I did notice my old Ral Partha were far smaller than my minis of the past decade, so unless I'm dealing with extreme cases, it isn't enough of a difference for it to be a problem in my type of games.

Also remembering the relative mech sizes in Battletech, regardless if it was in-game canon  or the minis, really skews your sense of proportion. The game designers weren't going for realistic engineering.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

Typically it doesn't bother me or my players. If there's an older, smaller mini someone wants to use then I'm fine with that. Like a lot of folks said, people come in all sizes. The only time it becomes any kind of issue is some of the more modern/scifi games I run. And that's only because there's no way to explain away some of the big size discrepancies in things like gear or scenery. For instance I have a few Reaper dumpsters and an old Shadowrun Spirit of Man crawling out of a dumpster. When putting the SR mini on the table it is dwarfed by the other dumpsters and when compared to the character figures it might as well be a small garbage can instead of a large dumpster. A visual example I can provide is the RVE motorcycle rider Reaper released compared to some SR go ganger bikes from the 80's. The Reaper bike fits just fine with most of our minis, but the SR bike looks like it must be a toy or one of those mini bikes next to it.

IMG_20220411_144622703_HDR.thumb.jpg.69cafb069341e45095d7d60a0039f3f6.jpg

That's just going to be a distraction and the group around the table is going to start commenting on it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

I throw them all together and hope for the best. Theater of the imagination, and all that.

I got into the hobby when things were already getting bigger, so I don't have the old Ral Partha et al to worry about. My Tre Manor sculpts are my smallest size, and I wouldn't give them away for the world, even if some of them are a bit undersized for a 30mm round base (my preferred style of base).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

While it is true the people come in a variety of shapes and sizes, it can also be true that in certain games the comparative size of the figure provides a visual cue to its fantasy race. So while I am fine with a degree of difference, I like my halflings, humans, and half-giants to be recognizable as such. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 12th

Oversized weapons, yes or no?

Generally no.  I do a lot of historical wargaming (which informs my tastes), and, as noted yesterday, these fantasy figures aren’t scale models. Nevertheless, while I can tolerate some oversize-ness for durability of casting, I would prefer not to see people wielding swords wider than their heads, or axes with heads bigger than their torsos.

Edited by Rob Dean
Clarity
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question April 12th

The really big inflatable looking weapons are turn offs for me. Weapons that obviously would need two hands to wield effectively carried in one hand with a shield or such in the other is another turn off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Question April 12th

In general they don't bother me, but it is possible to take them to an extreme.  Sometimes the author will add a bit of fluff to cover for it.  For example, in a manga I was reading the other day one of the characters commented how their new mithral sword was so light they could swing it with one hand, instead of using two like their old steel sword.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1