GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TGP said:

there is no such thing as miniatures that are scale models

While you are most certainly entitled to have your opinion on the matter, I am inclined to respectfully disagree.

See exhibit 'A':

35062.thumb.jpg.13d1bdd991ea84e41357b0abf0e91757.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:
12 hours ago, TGP said:

While you are most certainly entitled to have your opinion on the matter, I am inclined to respectfully disagree.

See exhibit 'A':

Those are 1:35 Scale Models. 
As are similar products by Tamiya and Monogram several other scale model making companies. 

Typically they do not describe their product as “miniatures”,  they are not meant or intentionally sold for table top gaming, and amazingly! their bodies are seven heads tall. 

They are not part of the gaming miniatures industry. 

They have not taken the concept of “scale” and **defenestrated it. 

(** chucked it out the window)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TGP said:

there is no such thing as miniatures that are scale models

(Quick reminder of your original statement)

Replies in quote

1 hour ago, TGP said:
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:
13 hours ago, TGP said:

See exhibit 'A':

Those are 1:35 Scale Models. Yes, they are.
As are similar products by Tamiya and Monogram several other scale model making companies. Correct.

Typically they do not describe their product as “miniatures”,I have found at least 5 examples of different companies that use the word 'miniatures' fairly prominently on the box.

they are not meant or intentionally sold for table top gaming, I agree with you here. and amazingly! their bodies are seven heads tall. 

They are not part of the gaming miniatures industry. I also agree with you here.

They have not taken the concept of “scale” and **defenestrated it. This is debatable, I have gotten some really bad model kits that were allegedly all the same scale; this was not the case.

(** chucked it out the window)

The picture shown above clearly shows military miniatures (as labeled in the upper right hand corner of the box) that are scale models.

As I said earlier, you're entitled to your opinion. I am also entitled to have an opinion, that in this case, happens to disagree with yours. And that's fine, opinions are just that; opinions. They are not facts.

We'll just need to agree to disagree on this topic and move on to discussing something else.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 13th.

What is your favorite miniatures tabletop game?

Sky Galleons of Mars

Little Tiny Ships floating in the sky, what’s not to like?

image.jpeg.1d7cbbbcd2050948bf8f94ead8415927.jpeg

I have played Warhammer but there is quite a bit to dislike. I liked Warlord better. If I got to play Frostgrave a bit more it might displace Warlord, not sure. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 13th.

I have a lot of games and a lot of them could potentially be candidates for my favorite.  I would also note that most of them are not integrated packaged games that originally came in a box, but are assemblies of modular components: rules, figures, terrain, and scenarios.  “Rules” seems like the closest thing to what you mean.

Overall, considering questions like how long I’ve been playing and do I still do so, I’d have to say my favorite is Charge! or How to Play War Games:

5B22DB60-2753-4FEE-9077-51549DAC6E9C.jpeg.f3369230d9387cb99c417cbb4aac8d3f.jpeg

That’s the American edition, but the British edition was published in 1967.  I don’t go that far back, but @Chris Palmer and I have been playing this since 1996, with Prince August 40mm home cast figures.

Here’s a picture of our very first test game back in 1996, with about 120 figures on the table:

DF468B2E-9041-4870-9FE9-2EB3E21752DE.thumb.jpeg.fe26f3a1a9b445c75465b30019c3565b.jpeg

Eventually all manner of family and friends were drawn into the ongoing conflict of imagi-nations.  If we choose to (and have space) we can now maneuver in full ~60 figure regiments:

A70C5042-99F8-4103-8E2A-C4A9BF73C1EE.jpeg.d37c7ee4656d7a18c27ef5eb4e13f3a1.jpeg

We have also used a siege supplement for Charge!, found in an otherwise straight-up history book, Fire and Stone: The Science of Fortress Warfare 1660-1860, by Christopher Duffy.

E1459961-A0C4-4318-B0E8-B17E50678220.jpeg.7619163d64689ca91f32d43003fab0ba.jpeg

CA2C4843-CD4A-4CE3-85B9-A2DBB90B8C42.jpeg.00128b07e36b8a19544ac8b0014b12ff.jpeg

Space constraints have caused me to run recent games with alternative rules and reduce unit sizes, but Charge remains the favorite.

6BDA6100-A39D-4749-96C9-54C52EC2EC14.jpeg.eb856957e33cc83d0ce3b6092c233104.jpeg

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 13th.

Column. Line. & Square. Most of you have probably never heard of it, which shows just how LONG it has been since I was a gamer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, malefactus said:

Column. Line. & Square. Most of you have probably never heard of it, which shows just how LONG it has been since I was a gamer.

By Fred Vietmeyer, if I remember correctly? I haven’t seen a game of that at a con in a long, long time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

By Fred Vietmeyer, if I remember correctly? I haven’t seen a game of that at a con in a long, long time.

Fred Vietmeyer it is.

My old gaming club became a part of the Long Island Historical Miniature Collectors Society thirty or so years ago. They have staged a battle or two at their conventions I believe. I couldn't swear to it; re, I haven't attended one of the cons in decades.

• Like 8