GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTIONs April 15th / April 17th.

Video/PC games that are based on Tabletop Wargames/D&D:

• Do you play any? If so which one, and do you like it?
  • Do you have a favorite one?
  • Has playing such a game led to painting /building miniatures/terrain and such because you got inspired?
  • Show us any minis/terrain you painted when inspired by these video/pc games.
  • Or..has playing these games made you paint less?

Does Civilization count? I love that game. I've played them all except 1 and 6. I paint "historical fiction" minis. I would love one day to buy some Warlord Games figs and fight out the historical battles in their bronze age book. I can say I'm probably more inspired by what I read than anything. I really like wargaming magazines and they have inspired me to buy new games and minis and learn more about certain histories. Right now, I want to know if the Inuit had any kind of warlike culture. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Does Civilization count? I love that game. I've played them all except 1 and 6. I paint "historical fiction" minis. I would love one day to buy some Warlord Games figs and fight out the historical battles in their bronze age book. I can say I'm probably more inspired by what I read than anything. I really like wargaming magazines and they have inspired me to buy new games and minis and learn more about certain histories. Right now, I want to know if the Inuit had any kind of warlike culture. 

As far as I know, the Inuit are/were a peaceful people, only times they had to fight was to defend against raids from Cree during the French/Indian Wars?

And there are tales about Vikings meeting them resulting in some fights.

Inuit are not a warlike people. Predominantly hunters.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

• Has playing such a game led to painting /building miniatures/terrain and such because you got inspired?

Yes. 90% of the games I play fit those categories. I have played : Baldur's Gate series, Heroes of Might and Magic (all of 'em), Diablo 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Warlords, all the old gold box D&D games, Warcraft/StarCraft, and probably more I'm forgetting.

No particular favorites, if I don't like a game, I don't keep it.

Sort of. Playing computer games has made me want to play games in person, which has led to hobbying.

Basically, everything I paint/post can be considered to be inspired by games.

Yes, if I'm playing computer games, it's instead of painting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since I played any of the HoMM series, but I know I definitely played the heck out of 3, and probably 4 as well. I have played 5 and 6, but nowhere near as much. I liked the first 2 as well, but I don't have anything that'll run them. 

I wonder if GOG  (Good Old Games)has them.....hmmmmm....

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I used to play Wizardry and Diablo but that ship has sailed.  This did not inspire me to build/paint.  I do not need anything to make me paint less, I can do that on my own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Currently alternating between Divinity Original Sin and Dragon Age. I usually hit them about once every 6 months or so.

Nothing has inspired me yet.

Don't need video games to cause me to paint less. Hopefully when I get my living room done, (which will house my painting desk) I'll be able to play more and paint more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Never really into video games, the last arcade game was Ms. Pacman when it came out! Was given one of the Mechwarrior PC games, it was okay, but never really got hooked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I dabbled in Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, and D&D Online but didn't get too far.  I was doing ok in Baldur's Gate, but got into it too late and had issues with all the land and stables being taken by retired players, so it was impossible to advance.   Hated the culture of DDO, being forced into a group of strangers in order to play after 1st level so I quit after a week.  Got into Asheron's Call, but that was not based on a tabletop game.  I've also played X-Com since the 90's but again, not based on a tabletop rpg.   DH and I started Divinity Original Sin II back in Feb, but it's not based on any game I know. 

My MMORPGs don't take up painting time, because I paint during the day and game in the evenings.  What's eating up painting time is all the other stuff I have to do during the day , aka "adulting."  I'm actually painting most afternoons before dinner but it's a much slower process these days due to age related effects. 

The main inspiration for me to paint right now is what my game group needs.  I try to get our GM to let me know a week or two ahead of time, and get it painted for table use. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series were always great fun for me, as well as Pathfinder: Kingmaker. the latest video game based on D&D that I'm playing right now is Low Magic Age, which is as close to 3.5e as you can get at the moment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

• I have played quite a few over the years, though I'm not currently.
  • Not really.  When it comes to video games I tend to move on once the credits roll rather than replaying it.
  • No
  • N/A
  • All of my evening activities are in direct conflict with each other.  If I game I don't paint, if I paint I don't game, if I read manga I don't paint or game, etc.  Really we just need to switch to 37 hour days so I'll have time to do everything.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yep, huge fan of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. They were my gateway into D&D, and eventually doing this hobby, though it would take around 12 years between the two (BG came out in 1998, I didn't start playing D&D or acquiring minis until 2010). The original Baldur's Gate is probably my favorite, as BG2 gets a bit railroad-esque with the plot after a certain point. Though IWD can also be argued to be a railroad, though I argue it's a hack 'n slash adventure.

I have yet to have done anything specifically inspired by them, but I have had ideas and plans fomenting for a while. Not to be too repetitive, but now that I'm back to working a decent paying job I can hopefully make some of those ideas reality. Possibly even a couple this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I've played a few of the old SSI AD&D games; the Eye of the Beholder games; and a bit of Neverwinter Nights. Also played Mechwarrior for a while. And then there's the granddaddy of them all: CHESS. Fond memories of all of them, without having any real favorites.

I hardly game anymore, but I do keep up enough to know that graphics and level designs are jaw dropping. But they haven't really inspired me to do more or less than usual, nor paint with any changing frequency.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

In short, no.  I have an old computer that does nothing except run Civ IV, but video/PC games are a horrendous time sink.  I manage that by only playing the one, so that after many years I can set it down and not pick it up again for a couple of weeks at a time.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Yes - currently blood bowl and warhammer total war (only 1, my computer is only just able to run it...)

Enjoy both of them, but currently playing a lot more Skyrim than anything

No, No and No

21 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's been a while since I played any of the HoMM series, but I know I definitely played the heck out of 3, and probably 4 as well. I have played 5 and 6, but nowhere near as much. I liked the first 2 as well, but I don't have anything that'll run them. 

I wonder if GOG  (Good Old Games)has them.....hmmmmm....

They do, I have them from there

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2