GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

Easter..Did/do you celebrate it?

If so in what way?

If not what did/do you do during Easter this time?

Did not and never really have. The religion I grew up with wasn't big on traditional celebrations. 

I was kind of tired yesterday so I napped a little and camped out on the couch watching old DS9 episodes. My mother in law texted me to say I was going to hell for not celebrating easter though and my brother in law called my wife to say how disappointed he was that we didn't drive down to West Virginia to see him do his preaching routine and how he was worried about her mortal soul. So got my yearly dose of their religion whether I wanted it or not. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting caught up.  The whole "going back in the office" thing has messed up my schedule, even though it is just 2 days a week.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:23 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 11th.

Scalecreep, something we all have seen, do you mix minis like true 25mm/28mm/heroic scale/32mm in one unit/warband/group?

Or do you keep them all in exactly the same scale?

Variation doesn't bother me.  I'm 6'2" so I'm fairly used to people being half a foot to a foot shorter, and know a few folks with at least half a foot on me.

Even games like Bolt Action, I'm planning to use a few 1/60 scale vehicles I own, even though they are a few mm smaller than the 1/56 scale official version.

But I do have my eye out for an of my SWL Stormtroopers who might be "a little short for a Stormtrooper".....

On 4/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Thoramel said:

Typically it doesn't bother me or my players. If there's an older, smaller mini someone wants to use then I'm fine with that. Like a lot of folks said, people come in all sizes. The only time it becomes any kind of issue is some of the more modern/scifi games I run. And that's only because there's no way to explain away some of the big size discrepancies in things like gear or scenery. For instance I have a few Reaper dumpsters and an old Shadowrun Spirit of Man crawling out of a dumpster. When putting the SR mini on the table it is dwarfed by the other dumpsters and when compared to the character figures it might as well be a small garbage can instead of a large dumpster. A visual example I can provide is the RVE motorcycle rider Reaper released compared to some SR go ganger bikes from the 80's. The Reaper bike fits just fine with most of our minis, but the SR bike looks like it must be a toy or one of those mini bikes next to it.

IMG_20220411_144622703_HDR.thumb.jpg.69cafb069341e45095d7d60a0039f3f6.jpg

That's just going to be a distraction and the group around the table is going to start commenting on it. 

Just going to add this here:
image.thumb.png.c1f9f2d8a0219da73cb08ab3c67cc036.png

#83 is a fairly average sized rider (say 5'6" or so) riding a 600.
#21 is a fairly tiny (I'm guessing she doesn't hit 5' or 100 lbs) lady in her 20s, on a classic 125cc two stroke MotoGp bike.
They run fairly similar lap times (although 83 has a lot more experience so is generally a bit quicker). 

On 4/12/2022 at 4:43 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 12th

Oversized weapons, yes or no?

In fantasy, sure, as long as they are magical or the wielder has inhuman strength,

In Sci-Fi, sure as long as there is crazy future tech involved. 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 13th.

What is your favorite miniatures tabletop game?

Right now Bolt Action and Star Wars Legion.

I expect to add Konflikt '47 as soon as I get to playing it.  (it is a weird World War II spinoff of Bolt Action, with big stompy mechs......)

On 4/14/2022 at 4:04 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION APRIL 14th.

Did you ( or would you like to) paint /convert a mini to resemble a real life or movie character?

If you did show us..

As I play Star Wars Legion, yes.
That said, I think the only named characters I've actually finished are Vader and Veers.  I tend to paint the troops and save the characters for "when I have more time to spend on them", which is a fictional thing, apparently.

20200411_IMG_0304.jpg20201115_IMG_1285.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 3:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTIONs April 15th / April 17th.

Video/PC games that are based on Tabletop Wargames/D&D:

• Do you play any? If so which one, and do you like it?
  • Do you have a favorite one?
  • Has playing such a game led to painting /building miniatures/terrain and such because you got inspired?
  • Show us any minis/terrain you painted when inspired by these video/pc games.
  • Or..has playing these games made you paint less?

I used to play a lot of D&D games.  All the old gold box ones for the C64, Balder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights.  Stopped playing them around 17-18 years ago as they were consuming too much time.

Since I've tried a few.  The Last Battletech and Mechwarrior, one the of the Cyberpunk's.  Can't get into any of them anymore.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

We had a pretty low key Easter this year.  A bit of candy and the like.  We did have friends over for a a big ham dinner though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

Might be better to say that we observe the holiday instead of celebrating. We don't attend church or any service. If it is on one of the channels we'll sometimes watch the service that takes place at the Vatican with the Pope, but that's mostly because it's interesting to see how others celebrate (I just like to know things).

We had some turkey and a few other side dishes. Had a last-minute cancellation so it was just myself and my parents. We had a bit of candy, but didn't go crazy. If it is on TV, we'll watch The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston (it wasn't on yesterday, it came on the previous week).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

I did not celebrate it. We have no relatives to share with, no children in the family.  I spent a few minutes remembering my grandfather who died 32 years ago on Easter.  We relaxed at home (it was a cold, wet, nasty day out) and painted figures most of the day.  I made Filipino lumpia and stir fried bok choy for dinner. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

Yup, our church had special services, nice to have some visitors there too. Then Easter Dinner here, with family coming over and played games. No little ones, so no egg hunting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

Visited parents, played with niece and nephew, returned home.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question April 19th.

When painting minis, is there a "difficult" colour for you?

Which colour gives you troubles?

If another forumite has a tip/trick/hint, share it.

This way we can help each other out.

WOOF denies any involvement in raiding your local butcher shop.

Oh wait..that hasn't happened yet?

Nevermind, forget what I just said...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

Light colors, especially white and yellow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

I don't have any specific color difficulty. They are all of about the same impossibility.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Question April 19th.

I used to struggle with whites.  a couple of units of stormtroopers and snowtroopers later I have a method that works ok for me.

Blacks, I'm ok as long as I can use the dark elf triad to do purple-y highlights.  Shiny blacks I are a real struggle.  Well shiny anything,  really, but blacks in particular.

Yellows, I don't do a lot of yellows so they are a challenge.   I'm about to do a LOT of a dunkelgleb, dark yellow, so I'll be trying out the Army Paint air dark yellow "triad".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question April 19th.

I seem to have trouble getting a good consistent layer of orange. Black gives me a little trouble at times too, but not as much as orange.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 2:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

If so in what way?

We hid eggs around the house for the spawn.  the 8 yr old still believes, and was asking questions about where the easter bunny lives. My wife is over the "Holiday magic" part but I keep nudging her not to spoil it.  I like stories of imagination.
Elder spawn had the best answer "Australia"   - its far away and they are famous for how many rabbits they have.  (the fact that importing rabbits were an ecological disaster there was not mentioned) 

Then we went to church - Jesus holidays are tricky for Unitarians, but the reverend managed it.  Before going on canned food hunt - someone in an easter bunny costume and the middle school kids (My elderspawn & 2 friends) had hidden donated cans all over the churchyard. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTIONs April 15th / April 17th.

Video/PC games that are based on Tabletop Wargames/D&D:

• Do you play any? If so which one, and do you like it?
  • Do you have a favorite one?
  • Has playing such a game led to painting /building miniatures/terrain and such because you got inspired?
  • Show us any minis/terrain you painted when inspired by these video/pc games.
  • Or..has playing these games made you paint less?

Planescape Torment was the high mark of my D&D videogames.  I have played others before it and some after , but they were all mechanical exercises.  Torment was all RP and story. 

does guild wars count as D&D based?   I loved guild wars too, it was just SO pretty. 

Question April 19th.

Black.  I can do black cloth, and black hair, those textures have become instinctive> 
 but then I try an do black leather or Black mettalic and I find myself going through the class notes from reapercon, again.  and trying to paint from photos,  with mixed results. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question April 19th.

Hair and skin, those count as colours 😛

Ah good, someone had to eat that pepperoni and beef jerky... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5