GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

When painting minis, is there a "difficult" colour for you?

Which colour gives you troubles?

If another forumite has a tip/trick/hint, share it.

This way we can help each other out.

WOOF denies any involvement in raiding your local butcher shop.

Oh wait..that hasn't happened yet?

Nevermind, forget what I just said...

All

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question April 19th.

There is no one particular color. 

Reaper’s Metallics

Sometimes they disappoint and don’t seem metallic enough. 

Tips Section

Metallics

Get Scale 75’s metals. 
Reaper Metallics use a metal flake that is rated non-toxic but the trade off is that it isn’t as shiny as a metal flake might be. The Scale 75 metals chose shine > over safety for: children, idjit pets, fools, and brush-lickers. 

Brushes**

Don’t lick them. If you are a brush-licker consider getting professional help. Don’t lick your brushes. 

Yellow

All yellows are a fairly transparent pigments. They cover poorly. Undercoating the area with white helps, a lot. BCA Pink, if you have 5-6 bottles of it due to one Halloween order a year as I do, is a surprisingly excellent undercoat for yellow. 

Reaper Clears**

These paints are very transparent. They cover poorly as well. They are not meant to be coverage colors, they are meant for glazing and washes. They are pure pigments with no fillers or white or anything that would increase their opacity beyond what the raw pigment gives. Their other purpose is mixing to adjust (tune) other colors. 

Black**

Shiny black leather will have very few white highlights. If you put too much highlighting in, black starts to look dull, or even gray. 

White**

The best white ever is Reapers Pure White 9039. Use it to mix, lighten up other colors without shifting them, and add opacity. If mixing your own colors 9039 is a must have bottle. 

Color Wheel**

Get a Daler Rowney color wheel. 
image.thumb.jpeg.964cb4d18d4f80bb81069fec534f00e1.jpeg

**The tips I have are mostly Anne Tips. Because I often watch her Pro Tips painting stream. Watch if you can. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question April 19th.

Black gives me problems, I haven’t been able to paint enough to get around them. Cool white is a little tricky, though I have warm white down. I don’t really have too many problems with other colors.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question April 19th.

There have been shades of yellow and orange that have declared themselves to be my nemesis due to their transparency, hence poor coverage.

Swearing at your paints (those difficult colours again) does not help as much as we'd like it to.

[Agent CD of WOOF update] Mission successful!

That *would* explain all of that ham I've been seeing around my fridge, my mother's fridge, the office fridge...

[I love ham.]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

I used to have troubles with White, Yellow and Metallics.

Solution: Metallics - get Scale 75 paints

Yellow - Get Scale 75 Paints ( @Thoramel this goes for orange as well)

White- Get Andrea Paints.

My main concern these days is highlighting Black .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

Yellow. I'm not a fan of the colour in the first place and getting it to look how I want is tricky.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

Easter..Did/do you celebrate it?

If so in what way?

If not what did/do you do during Easter this time?

Easter is a high holy day to me, so dad and I went to Church. The Relief Society is collecting hygine items and other things to make welcome packages for displaced Ukrainians. We were happy to be able to donate a bunch of deodourant (the grocery store had a flash sale) to the cause. Dad and I changed the tires and did the oil on my car--we do all the cars together, it's kind of our daddy-daughter thing. My sister's "adopted" little brother came up from Minnesota for a visit. He'd never had an Easter dinner, so Mumsy made a turkey for him. We officially welcomed him into the family by telling embarassing stories about my sister when she was a kid. Those buggers were at the house first and had me thoroughly convinced they'd eaten my entire 2.5 lb bag of mini eggs. I was furious until they burst out laughing! Dad and I cooked steak for Sunday dinner as a thank you for Mumsy's turkey dinner the night before.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

I haven't been able to get the perfectly glazed transition of blue space marine correct. There are certain colours in the Citadel line that just don't want to make a nice glaze. 

White has been problematic for me, too. I found I get totally different results when thinning my paints with water versus mixing medium. I use Vallejo whites, and if I thin them with water, they tend to look produce a chalky look on minis. I don't really care, as my cultists are tabletop+ level anyway, but it's nice to know. The water in this house is well water, and I'm the exception to the "most people can use tap water" rule. There is so much rust in it that the bathtub looks like Moses and Pharaoh had a confrontation. 

Thin your paints! has been the best advice any painter has given me. The forum is great in general, some one usually has a (polite) answer to your question or can point you in the right direction. 

Here's my GKA paint table hack: I bought some eye droppers and use them for transferring from pots to the pallette. Need a 3:1 ratio? Never guess again!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

White (both on its own and as a mix). I'm assuming the pigment is titanium because it's also a villain on my oils palette. There I can use lead white as a mixer (lack the opacity and chalkiness of titanium), in hobby paints, I was using a lot of off-whites (linen, ghost, etc). In oils, I also use lighter value non-whites to raise values in mixes, so that might be something to think about with minis before you reach for that nasty white.

Speaking of values, that's my main 'tip'. Values are more important than color, which is why everyone always talks about contrast. Practice painting value scales to learn to control your values, and then apply them intelligently to put focus points into your mini. Color will also do that, but value is king.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

Yellow and whites have been tricky until I learned to just use a light gray primer, then white. If doing yellows, on darker tones, a light pink undercoat has worked well also.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

I've had moments of brilliance with each color, but more catastrophic ones to outnumber those with. I haven't had repeated success with black, yellow or vibrant red yet. Black is tricky because I try to different approaches to highlight it so I can get variety. I have yet to get a brown-highlighted black that I was satisfied with.

I know a lot of people like the triad-system, but I've had more success with just mixing my own by using a color wheel. It's hard to trust your eye when painting, but with my previous foray into paint manufacturing, I learned that your eye really will let you know when a color just isn't looking right. Doesn't make it less frustrating when you are trying to paint, but at least tells you that your color choice isn't jiving.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

Used to be red/yellow but after learning some basics of layering and what to lay down first when building up to those colors has really helped.  Goobertown's suggestion to use pink under yellow works and using browns to work up to red. 

Making Black look good is still tricky but I think I'm getting the hang of it (adding green or blue to tint it to something more interesting).  Reaper's Coal Black with some Jungle Mist for green tinged and Dragon Black and any light blue are awesome ways to give black some depth. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

No, applying every colour is actually pretty easy. *dunks mini and hand into bucket of paint*

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 19th.

White, whether it's brushed or sprayed.

Tip: A long time ago in a game store in Boise Idaho, called Dark Horse Games, I learned that purple makes a great shade for orange.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 18th.

Easter..Did/do you celebrate it?

If so in what way?

We used to go to church on Easter Sunday when I was very young, but we've become pretty secular over the years.

A few Easter activities stuck though. From family gatherings, to Easter supper, to sugar shacks, and Easter treat hunting for the kids.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

If not what did/do you do during Easter this time?

Despite many last minute cancellations from relatives who got COVID, we did manage to go to the sugar shack. I haven't been there in over a decade, so I missed the lumberjack style breakfast, and I finally got some maple taffy on the snow.

For those who don't know what it is (most Canadians and some New-Englanders do know about it), it's maple syrup boiled down and poured over fresh snow. It instantly cools down on the snow, and you roll it up on a Popsicle stick and eat it. Be aware that any ice crystals caught in the taffy will drip down the stick.

Pouring the still hot maple taffy on the snow:

20220416_135243.thumb.jpg.f234da6af731b7246a4b8721823c6f87.jpg

People rolling a line of taffy (my aunt and mom at the back)

20220416_135039.thumb.jpg.a161d0f68a36ea2a982c58e2f2c4ff41.jpg

Me about to roll my own taffy:

20220416_135311.thumb.jpg.3f853e15163778cca12e4572ac0aa503.jpg

The end result:

20220416_135339.thumb.jpg.7c469da633f87e0b98fd47cf15e5aa74.jpg

Again, me about to enjoy my treat (I went four times altogether):

20220416_135809.thumb.jpg.8126cdfa170500f039b07ee83a195728.jpg

The next day, we had a big Easter supper with my mother some of my aunts. Needless to say I gained quite a few pounds over the long weekend.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2