GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

If you paint/use companions for your characters, do you give them separate bases or include them on the base of the character?

There is no such thing as too much Bacon!

If tiny, on the main character's base, but I will have a token or such to mark if it should leave. Otherwise, everybody gets their own base.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

If you paint/use companions for your characters, do you give them separate bases or include them on the base of the character?

Since I game with mine, always a separate base.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

Funny you should mention that... I'm currently working up a companion for the Shadow Dragon I'm (very slowly) painting up... and it will be on the dragon's base!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

What's your favorite type of paintbrush? 

Size/brand/material.

I have a Windsor Newton Series 7. 

But the last time I painted anything I used some cheapo synthetics I got from Michael’s. 

56 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

If you use an Airbrush, which one and why is that your choice?

The only airbrush I ever tried was a Badger. I dunno which model. Whichever model they had back in the 1980s ?  Gulp! 40+ years ago. I still have it—somewhere—I bet the O-rings have crumbled to dust by now. 

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Size/brand/material..?

The Win 7 is natural sable hair. Kolinsky. 

The cheapo synthetics were all assorted varieties of Taklon® and they are a bunch of different sizes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

I use Rosemary & Co Pure Sable 99's in size 0.

They strike the right balance between being decent brushes, while being cheap enough that I don't have to feel bad about the rate at which I murder them.

(My favourite paintbrush of all-time though, was one I got in one of the old Reaper Learn to Paint kits, it was just awesome to use and lasted for years!)

Never had an Airbrush, not enough room.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Currently using a multi-pack of brushes from Wallyworld. I'm mostly working on models right now & I'm using mostly Tamiya paints so I'd rather be harsh on those vs my good brushes.

Current favs are some W&N I picked up at a art supply store in Eugene, OR last time I was over on that side of state. I have no idea what line they are but they work for me.

Airbrush(es)- I've got a few, Paasche Millennium, Reaper/Badger Vex (shallow cup), Badger Sotar & a Master dual action. The last one I only use for clear coating. I picked up the Vex last year but I've yet to use it, I'm hoping to change that soon. I've had the Millennium since 1999/2000. It has been my workhorse airbrush. Sotar was picked up from Ken at RCon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Rosemary & Co. Series 33 Size 0. Unfortunately they aren't currently being shipped to the US last I checked.

ETA: I'm also quite fond of the Eclipse series from R&Co as well as the Artist Arsenal sable brushes from Game Envy.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

I use red sable brushes of various sizes & brands AND natural bristle brushes for dry brushing, particularly dry brushing terrain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

My favorite brushes are Windsor and Newton Series 7 Size 0 and 1.

That said I have a lot of brushes even cheap craft brsushes for terrain etc.

• Like 7

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Current favourite is Raphael 8404 size 1 Round for acrylics, and for oils its my Princeton 3750 Dagger Striper.  Wish more companies made brushes like these, I'd love a short handle red sable version of this kind of brush... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Winsor Newton Series 7 size 0 and 1 are my work horses doing almost everything.

Airbrush: Badger Patriot 105, though I sometimes also break out the Sotar, but after taking Aaron Lovejoy's airbrushing class I find I have enough control with the Patriot for 90% of my needs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

Mmmm, bacon....

If I used companions for an RPG, and was still playing with physical models, they would be on a separate base.

The closest I have to that in my current games are artillery for Bolt Action, which has a 2, 3, 4 or 5 man team.  They can be done either way, but mine will be going on a single base....eventually.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Brushes.  Raphael 8404 size 0 is my fav.  For metals and the like I use Princeton Art & Brush Co. 4350R.  I got a couple of boxes of them from....someone on the forums at least 6 years ago (I used some for Khanjira when I did the 7 day challenge).

They are quite nice for supper cheap brushes.

For drybrushing I'll either use old dead brushes, or makeup brushes, or the like.

All of my airbrushes are Badger.  Work horses for 99% of what I do (priming and base coats) are a pair of Patriot 105s.  I'll use one until it starts spraying poorly and needs a good cleaning, then I'll switch to the other, as this usually happens when I'm in the middle of something I want to get done.  Then I'll do a good cleaning on both.
I've used a Sotar 20/20 a bit.  And the rest are still in the their cases waiting for me to learn better control.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1