GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

On 4/25/2022 at 2:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

If you paint/use companions for your characters, do you give them separate bases or include them on the base of the character?

Hasn't come up yet, but it would probably depend on the size of the companion.

Small, easy to carry familiar? Probably the same base.

Large animal companion? Own base.

On 4/25/2022 at 2:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

There is no such thing as too much Bacon!

Like minis, it's "not enough storage" that's a problem

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

What's your favorite type of paintbrush? 

Size/brand/material.

It's easy to appreciate Kolinsky Sable brushes, and I've been slowly increasing the size of my brushes at each purchase. So I went from mostly size 0 in my early painting days to size 2-3 for that easier to maintain point and paint holding capacity. So a I got a few Winsor & Newton S7s, a couple of Raphaels, and one of my FLGS even has Rosemary & Co available in store which was my latest brush purchase.

It's only recently that I've gone back to use inexpensive synthetics for quick base layering. Since it doesn't need the same fine level of details, I can allow myself to be a bit rougher.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

If you use an Airbrush, which one and why is that your choice?

I prefer sable round paintbrushes, rounds from size 0 to 3, with my preference being a #1-#2 with a good point. I don't have many sable paintbrushes, but have several brands as I'm in the "testing phase" of selecting a brand I like: Winsor & Newton Series 7, Escoda Reserva, Loew-Cornell (discontinued?), and Reaper.  For less detailed work, I use a pile of  Princeton Art Co 4350R #1 synthetic brushes I got, because they were on sale.

Edit:  Funny story... My most recent brush purchase is the Reaper sable.  I was eager to try it out at first, but then was cursing it soon after.  I was thinking it didn't have any snap to the bristles, and the point kept splitting!  ...But then I realized I had picked up my Winsor & Newton brush by mistake.

My favorite airbrushes are a Badger Crescendo 175T for general priming and other work, and a Badger Sotar 20/20 for detail work.  I tried a Paasche airbrush ages ago and it drove me crazy trying to work with it, and I've heard the quality has gone downhill since.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Like many, I like the red sable brushes for good work, and cheapies or well worn ones for terrain and drybrushing.

Airbrushes are an ancient Paasche and a Badger Sotar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:06 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 25th.

If you paint/use companions for your characters, do you give them separate bases or include them on the base of the character?

There is no such thing as too much Bacon!

Seperate unless it's a tiny companion like Boo.

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

My most used brushes are One Happy Choice Size 1. Dirt cheap and ok quality. Good when you have kids that are even worse at brush care than I am. I have various more expensive brushes for better work but never settled on a brand. I've had terrible luck with mail order brushes and when I did by a few recommended brands I got brushes that quickly fluffed out to be unusable. So I by whatever's available locally at a hobby shop or Michaels. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

I dont have one. I have finally started using good brushes and haven't settled on the 'one' yet.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Fan of Raphael's right now. I only have a few natural hair brushes, but I like the 8404, I think I have sizes 0, 1 and 2. They aren't my workhorses right now, since they are expensive. The 8394 (Raphael Kaerell) is my workhorse when I practice two-brush blending; it's a synthetic brush, but you don't need the sharpest of points for 2BB.

Also a fan of the DaVinci's, but I only have two, and am too lazy to go downstairs to look at what they are. They are shorter bristle-length than the Raphael, which I like for doing more detail work. I like to maintain a bristle length-to-width ratio of 5:1 for detail brushes.

And then I have a standard array of synthetic brushes from Hobby Lobby for basecoating and all that stuff.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

I've tried most of the major brands, Rosemary & Co, DaVinci, Raphael, but seem to end up back with my W&N series 7s. I usually use a 1, but switch to a 0 for detail work.

I have two Badger airbrushes, a Patriot 105 and a Sotar 2020.  I use the Patriot for priming/sealing/basecoating and never seem to get around to using the Sotar.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION April 26th.

Size/brand/material.

Rosemary and Co. Series 33 size zero brush, it has good snap and a decent body. Might go with size 1 next time.

I also have a Iwata Neo Core airbrush because it was the cheapest good one at the time. Also, pshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpsh.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

( Belated) Question April 27th.

Well in the Netherlands it's King's Day ( hence me being late...)

Show us your painted King/Queen/Emperor or General/Leader of some kind.

What is his/her/their background?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Don't really have a pic handy, but this is the best I can manage on short notice... 

20210702_171758.thumb.jpg.5b92394e1423327bbe3b14de32c0e365.jpg

Captain Fuzzbutt!  Seems to think he owns my hobbying desk! 

P1030399-3x2.thumb.jpg.637391e16aa423d7e21ef2febecd0369.jpg

Char was one of the big guns during the One Year War in the Gundam universe.. 

Treat_the_Dragon_Rainbow_Ribbon_Wave.thumb.png.2c49a2d2efe94cc2ea017a3e57b91d54.pngCRW_0055.thumb.jpg.6f6f09a0747ba8efadc268ab2509b574.jpg

And Treat.  Because I'm not arguing with an awesomely coloured dragon! (second pic is in infrared, specifically KolariVision's IR Chrome filter) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Queen Stheneria - The Leader of my Stygian Faction in my Shifting Sands Project.

20210220_184725.jpg.e7df59bd8a9cc6ddc9ec001034e1ca82.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Don't have the Emperor painting, so Lord Vader will have to do....
20200411_IMG_0304.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2