GETTING TO KNOW YOU APRIL 2022 brought to you by WOOF!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

When using units/warbands/groups of enemies, do you mind duplicates of a mini or do you prefer different poses?

Duplicates and standard mono-posed figures are A-Ok. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

When using units/warbands/groups of enemies, do you mind duplicates of a mini or do you prefer different poses?

Everbody tilt your head an wag your tail...now go fetch the ball...have fun!

For formed units the same position is preferred; re, a variety of poses all within the same unit give them the proverbial Chinese fire drill look.. With a variety of heads & details they can still look like individuals.

War bands are a different story. With them I avoid identical poses, although they should be complimentary poses; i.e., all passive or all animated, that sort of thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question April 7th.

Duplicates with some variety.  I like how Para Bellum Games does this for Conquest, as it's a rank and file game, but since it's circular bases that go into square trays to make grouping easier (and keep things compatible with First Blood, the skirmish version) you can get away with some posing shenanigans.  You can still have variety when looking close, but a group still looks like a squad on the table. 

As for fetching that ball, no thanks, you wolves can go chase it.  While you're distracted I'll brew myself a coffee... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question April 7th.

I've done both in the same battles with the original Bones 1 orcs, goblins and rats).

So I'd have a group with different poses share a common colour scheme. And other duplicates would have a different common scheme.

Hey! Where's the ball?  🐶 

You only pretended to throw it?!  🥎 😮

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

I prefer variation in my minis, at the least a different head or weapon I understand similar poses in a unit, but they should be individuals who work together instead of exact clones.

6 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I've done both in the same battles with the original Bones 1 orcs, goblins and rats).

So I'd have a group with different poses share a common colour scheme. And other duplicates would have a different common scheme.

Hey! Where's the ball?  🐶 

You only pretended to throw it?!  🥎 😮

Knipsel.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Question April 7th.

I hate clones, so I tend to do a lot of conversions to try and provide some individuality/visual interest. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question April 7th.

Different poses, mainly because of my group. If they all look the same those guys are never going to remember which NPC they're trying to hit. "I'm going to stab the guy with the sword." "Which guy with a sword?" "That one." gestures vaguely at the table "You know, the one on the right" "My right or your right?" Stares at hands in confusion for a second "I don't know."

So yeah, I have to have different poses at the table.

And I'm going to do what my dog does when I throw a ball, stare at you like there's something wrong with you until you go pick the ball up your own self.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

If only for painting purposes, I like them to be different so that it's a fresh experience each time. Unless the new pose makes it more difficult to paint that one, then @#$%&.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

Different poses, for sure. Batch painting can be tedious enough; variety is the spice of life. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

I prefer them to all be a little different.  For example, the Bolt Action plastic kits come with enough to build 30 guys, but that is 5 copies of the same sprue.  So you get 6 different torsos and legs, so with (for example) a squad of 10, you will have duplicate torsos, but I try to make sure they have different heads and arms/weapons as well as different pieces of kit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

I don't mind one or two duplicates of each figure, it's not hard to space them out or paint them differently to tell them apart.  A unit of identically posed figures is boring and sucks the atmosphere out of the game. 

Cats don't fetch. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

For a "group" of minis that move individually, such as a dnd encounter with a group of gnolls, I prefer for them to be different.  If they are a unit all on the same movement tray they should be alike enough to make sense being together, but not 10 copies of the exact same figure.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

Doesn't really bother me, as long as you have enough minis to cover the encounter. Minis are just tokens on a map or grid for visual reference. That being said, I'm not gonna go out & get 5 of the same mini & then something different to cover say 6 creatures. I do like a variety.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

I like variety. Some duplicates aren't a problem, but I'll do everything I can to vary them up. It's a good way to convert, even if it gets tedious when you have a unit of 30 but only 3 original poses to work with.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question April 7th.

For non-ranked gamesI prefer differences in pose between minis

For games with ranked units I prefer minor differences so they aren't identical, but posed in such a way that they'll rank up 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1