Question about 2 specific colors.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reptilian Green has a slight blue tint to it. It's a very obvious colour difference to me - but you are correct and they are very similar. Not everyone's retinas can discern slight variations in colours so what looks the same to you looks very different to me. My mother and I disagreed on the colour of the couch we had when I was growing up - it was very obviously a blue-grey to me but she insisted that it was plain grey and saw no blue whatsoever. 

You can find all sorts of online tests for colour perception and some of these are more based in actual science than others, some are just straight up memes, and sometimes they are more of a test of your monitor settings. But it is true that women typically perceive colours better than men and that perception starts to decrease as you get older and it is also fairly common for men to have some type of colour deficiency and/or blindness and that can be as slight as having trouble discerning the differences between multiple shades of different colours since it all has to do with the receptors in your eyes.

• Like 5

If you want to test the differences, add a small drop of white to each one and observe how the color changes.  You can also thin with a wet brush and paint on a piece of paper to draw out subtle differences.  

• Like 4

I know there area  fair number of pairs in the Reaper paint line that look identical in the bottle, or even on the palette, but the differences become more apparent as they get applied to the mini. Sometimes the differences are based on what color primer they're going onto, what other colors are nearby and/or even the texture they're painted onto. 

• Like 3

As mentioned, color differences in paints that appear to be very similar are generally more discernable once you start to thin out the paints or mix them with other colors.

(On the subject of people's differing abilities to discern color, I have a hell of a time trying to determine whether certain shades are actually bright red or orange.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mikem91 said:

I'm going to be honest, they look nearly identical to me.  I bow to our XX color discriminating overlords though.

https://www.color-meanings.com/do-women-see-more-colors-than-men/

Which is funny, as I see more colors then my wife does. :lol:

There is that seeing colors meme out there that perfectly describes the two of us, just swapped. 

Here it is:

b9d.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1