Stripping Bones?

KayBee

Hi all,

I base coated my Bones Translucent Black Dragon in Army Painter Uniform Grey. Unfortunately it is still tacky and has been so for months now. What is the best thing to do? I'm happy to strip it down. I usually use dettol, an antibacterial cleaner for cuts and scrapes if people are familiar with it, for stripping metal miniatures would this work on bones? Also does the translucent type have different properties compared to regular bones. I was thinking of testing on a poor hapless zombie first whose looks can only be improved by a bit of melting, lol.

• Like 2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, KayBee said:

I usually use dettol, an antibacterial cleaner for cuts and scrapes if people are familiar with it, for stripping metal miniatures would this work on bones?

If it'll take the paint off of metal but it's gentle enough to use for medical purposes, it shouldn't harm plastic. Like you said, try it on a test subject. You can also pour some of it in a small cup and use cotton swabs to apply it to the mini rather than dunking the whole thing in order to minimize exposure to the cleaning solution. As long as you're only leaving it on long enough to loosen up the paint before wiping/rinsing it off it shouldn't give you any trouble.

The only issue I can really think of is that, depending on what's in it, there's a chance it may cloud the translucent plastic. Try putting a small drop of it on the underside of the base on a translucent figure and let it evaporate to see what happens - that way, even if it does something to the plastic, it'll be on the bottom of the thing and not noticeable even if you don't paint over it.

• Like 2

The longer you leave it the better (I've got some stuff in there for near on a year now, oops)

But overnight usually works. It is a medical thing though that I can get as surplus to requirements so free. Leaves it smelling though, I think one of the ingredients is pine...

• Like 1