Adult White Dragon [WZK90325]

Day 6 of my goal to paint all of the miniatures I currently own brings you Nolzur's Adult White Dragon. At 10 inches tall, ten inches long and 8 inches wide this is one of the biggest 'miniatures' I've ever painted. For size comparison I've included a Dwarf and Planetar that I previously painted as well as a D20. I intentionally left the base unpainted due to the way Nolzur's handles these larger miniatures - it comes on a 4-inch base (for stability) indicating it is a gargantuan creature, but the ring at the 3-inch mark denotes its actual size category of huge. Part of me wants to leave it as is, while another part wants to paint it. What do you guys think?

IMG_20220214_163054538_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220214_163209119_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220214_163338456_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220214_163421371_HDR.jpg

• Like 21

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SotF said:

For the base, you could, actually, do both things, paint the inner ring part and leave the outer clear.

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing.

This dragon looks great. White's never fun to paint, especially at this scale. You did a good job with it. Little touches like the black claws, etc. create nice contrast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grand Slam said:

This dragon looks great. White's never fun to paint, especially at this scale. You did a good job with it. Little touches like the black claws, etc. create nice contrast. 

I've painted white dragons in the past and always went with blues for an icier look but this time I went with grays to white and used a dark wash. I honestly think using grays instead of blues makes it look 10x better. As for the base, I actually considered painting just the part up to the ring but didn't think it would look right with the clear outer circle. If I end up painting it, I'll do the entire thing. 

3 hours ago, Grand Slam said:

I haven't done a fully white dragon as of yet, but I did do a white dragonborn. Started with a darker blue-grey and went to white for the scales via drybrushes, then finished it with a very light drybrush of a pearlescent white craft paint to add an extra sheen to it.

• Like 1