Modification questions

FuzzyIzmit

I was thinking of modifying Lola Darkship a bit when I get around to painting her, but I dont really know how to do it. I will tell you guys my plan and you can give me suggestions if you can...I want to cut free the short sword she has from her leg and bend her arm to a new position, but I dont have a dremil. Got any suggestions on how I can do this and not ruin the mini? She is one of my favorite sculpts and I cant afford to mess her up.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I thought "Mod q" meant a question for the moderators.

http://incompetech.com/splorg/images/minis/Lola.jpg

You can sorta see what I did there. I took a sharp x-acto knife and worked all around the seam between the knife and the thigh. Once I got through that, I gripped her arm between two peices of wood and bent it away from the body, bending at the elbow. Be very careful here.

Once that was done, I gripped the wrist(not the knife) with the peices of wood and twisted it so that the knife would be behind the leg. Then I bent the elbow back, so that it was in more or less the original position.

What would be cool IMHO is to change the shortsword in her right hand to a longsword, held with a different grip, then file off the sword handle that is in the scabbard. That would look like she's drawn the sword from the scabbard and is brandishing it menacingly. Also, it would be fairly easy to do. I agree about not needing a dremel. A jewelers saw would be ideal. Just saw off the hand, and the sword hilt and replace with another hand by drilling and pinning someone elses hand that is holding a longsword already. Make sure you post photos if you do, hope this helps!

I agree with flynn on something so small you want the most control as possible and a Dremel would mess that up for you. Also before bending the miniature put it in some warm/hot water for 30 minutes. This will make the miniature more plyable and thus easier to bend.

HOT WATER BABY! YOU GOTTSA HEAT EM UP GOOD AND HOT TO BEND EM!

and then when your done, thrust them under cold water to re-harden the metal-kinda like retempering-wont make it much harder, but might reduce the chance of it rebending into the old position (ive noticed pewter has a tendency to do this of hit at the right angle)

i take my metal very seriously

now only if my painting would follow ....