Tenebrae - Fate of Asteria

Auberon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I'm only backing for a set of their "Dark Side of Paint" colors. I REALLY want to back for more but our wallet has sustained some rather horrific damage lately, so I'm having to be very good. Realistically, though, even if I did get one of their gorgeous models, it would join the many other gorgeous display models I haven't yet touched. 😅

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have the base set and expansion set of single pigments and highly recommend them. I'm going in for some of their mixes in this KS, but no need for these models myself. 

• Like 1

• Members

I'm in for so many models.. mostly Asteria.. mounted, 75mm, bust, one of the undead.. maybe a second asteria.. lets just say i like that model a lot.. Kimera does good work.. i'm not sure about the paints yet.. i still have too many of those

• Like 2

They have gorgeous sculpts, although the cast quality is often not as good as I'd hope for the price tag. If you love the sculpt, worth it, and you can work with it. But they do need more cleanup than something like an Ignis figure does.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

They have gorgeous sculpts, although the cast quality is often not as good as I'd hope for the price tag. If you love the sculpt, worth it, and you can work with it. But they do need more cleanup than something like an Ignis figure does.

I'd be interested to know how the amount of cleanup would compare to a figure from Scale 75, Nocturna Models, Big Child creatives or Creature Caster if you have any experience with any of those companies.

12 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

I'd be interested to know how the amount of cleanup would compare to a figure from Scale 75, Nocturna Models, Big Child creatives or Creature Caster if you have any experience with any of those companies.

S75 is cleaner - I'd say "what you'd expect". Some clean-up, but minor.

Nocturna and Kimera are similar on clean-up. Great sculpts, presented in nice packages, but more clean-up than you'd expect for the cost (the Fire and the Air element ones need a LOT of filing and heating to get pieces together). Absolutely amazing sculpts, but disappointing amount of work to get pieces to play nicely.

Big Child Creatives - I have two figures. One is painted, other just prepped. The one I painted was for local paint club, and I got the one that shouldn't have gotten boxed. Horrible blobs of resin on the goblin's nose AND a bubble right next to that, brittle resin breaking at the ankle, broken ear, broken hat, and some mold slip. It was all repairable, but in a "this never should have occurred" sort of way. The Ironheart bust has some clean-up, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the cloak having texture to it, meaning you can't simple-file it. The mold vent is at the bottom of the cloak. The sword was very bent but straightened easily with heat from a blow drier (which tbh doesn't bode well for it on a hot day). Honestly, I wasn't going to get a 2nd figure from BCC unless I'd seen it in person after how bad the goblin was, but a friend offered me Ironheart for a good price and she's a pretty sculpt.

Creature Caster - have the Canuckimera. Has some flashing on it that'll be annoying to clean, but not mold slip. A little tedious to clean, but easy, and pieces fit together.

If I liked the sculpt enough, I'd get Kimera pieces again, but the cast quality is at a level to make myself step back a moment and REALLY decide if I want that sculpt. Worth it if you don't mind working to get the figure together, and really like the model. Not worth it if you don't have patience for a difficult build.

The paint though? Yeah, this is getting me and is part of why I'm not in for as much on Bones VI.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Thanks. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with BCC. Sounds like they really shouldn't have sent that one. I've had very positive experiences with them so far.

In their defense, the local group ordered about 8 of the goblins at the start of COVID. None of the other guys had issues with theirs. BCC may have been willing to replace it if asked, but May 2020 was not a good time to be hassling anyone over international shipping. Better to repair what I could. The Ironheart bust is alright - it was just a somewhat poor sculpting choice to make the cloak heavily textured which makes clean-up bad in that area. It was at "as expected" casting levels instead of broken like the goblin. I may go for a sculpt of theirs if I see it well priced after seeing Ironheart. Similar for Kimera - really make sure it is a sculpt I want first.

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

In their defense, the local group ordered about 8 of the goblins at the start of COVID. None of the other guys had issues with theirs. BCC may have been willing to replace it if asked, but May 2020 was not a good time to be hassling anyone over international shipping. Better to repair what I could. The Ironheart bust is alright - it was just a somewhat poor sculpting choice to make the cloak heavily textured which makes clean-up bad in that area. It was at "as expected" casting levels instead of broken like the goblin. I may go for a sculpt of theirs if I see it well priced after seeing Ironheart. Similar for Kimera - really make sure it is a sculpt I want first.

Ironheart's cloak has a sort of grainy sackcloth feel to it. They definitely intended to make the threads of the cloth quite distinct. To make them stand out. I think my Ironheart's sword was slightly broken too. I must admit I'm excited about Valeria and constantly wondering if and when Sieghield could get the 75mm treatment. She's really lovely and I'd love to see her get legs like most of the other busts did. Did she not sell well? I know I had to wait a few months before ordering her because BCC wouldn't send packages to England until the EU had sorted out some Brexit related red tape. I waited and the red tape sorted itself out in time for her to be an on time birthday present for me so everything worked out well in the end :).

I was going to do a comparison, but when I looked at the stack of boxes in my closet I decided "nope, not digging through that."  I have a few BCC figures.  While I don't recall any egregious issues when I inspected them I haven't actually cleaned and painted them either.

• Haha 2