Weird West: Nolzur Gorgon as "P'izen Bison," plus CP Plains Natives

Rigel

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all, for the encouragement! I think it's the smoke that really helps sell it. A fun one to do.

Appreciate the compliments on the story, too! The unity of concept and theme was just too perfect to pass up on. I should think of some more Monsters of the more esoteric different patrons--HE WHO Walks Behind the Rows, Our Lady of Sepulchres (part Santa Muerte, lots of undead/gambling/tarot/roulette imagery), the Saint of Killers (think Hexblade, but with guns).

Old Man Buzzard (keeps the dead down, as Raven Queen), Old Scratch (Fiend), Coyote (Archfey), Father Yig (Great Old One), and Thunderbird (as Fathomless, but reskinned for sky and wide open spaces rather than water, lots of Freedom subtext) are easier to work with. YES they loosely match the alignment matrix (very loosely). 

On 5/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, Hikikomori said:

entertaining and educational

I like your style

Thank you! I'm not usually this long-winded, but I do have lots of opinions about monsters! If you want more, I did a loose series a few years back; they should come up if you search for the "classic monsters" tag.

• Thanks 1

Well... that's something you don't see every day. Very cool bunch, here. The smoke effect with the cotton came out great. It's hard enough to shape that stuff, let alone pull off the kind of blended paint work you did. I'm impressed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

Full disclosure, the cotton fluff is skewered on bits of wire painted white. The yellow-green smoke with the black soot was sort of a combination of drybrushing and finger painting--it was easier than you might expect! Warpstone Glow and cheap craft store acrylic black in this case.

Try it yourself! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Rigel
      After a long day on that dusty trail, a man has needs.

And while sometimes a man might just go round behind a cactus or a rocky outcrop, other times a man's in mixed company where that just won't do.

Now, ain't nothin' to be ashamed of, just a part of livin', that's all.

But sometimes--and praise the Lord, it ain't often--it's the last part of livin'.

"whut in tarnation...?!"

But when it's your time to go, you gotta go. 

A little sidenote on D&D monsters and their origins:  We all know that pulp and sci-fi influenced the creators of Dungeons and Dragons as much as fantasy does (displacer beasts came from a van Vogt space opera, and I'd bet money that orcs--pig-faced brutes in early RPG art--got their green-skinned tusky look because D&D precursors included Tharks from Barsoom until the Burroughs estate sued.) But where did the Mimic come from? It's hard to tell, but there are a few strong possibilities. 

First, Wollheim's short story "Mimic" from 1942. If you haven't read it, do so--it's a great little pulp yarn. The titular mimics aren't the amorphous sticky oozes we know today, but they conceal themselves almost perfectly as mundane people--and, more importantly here, objects. 

Secondly, and perhaps most convincingly, Philip K. Dick's 1953 story "Colony." A tale of paranoia on an alien world, and probably also where we get the Rug of Smothering. The alien threat here is pretty much exactly like our D&D mimics, formless organisms that can take on any shape (and do). 

Thirdly, John Bellairs' "The Face in the Frost," published 1969. This is the first gelatinous amorph masquerading as a building that I've seen in a fantasy context--though it isn't clear whether the entity in question is an organism or a magical construct, or if there's a meaningful difference. Anyway, all those 'what if the WHOLE TAVERN was a mimic?!' suggestions? Been done before the moon landing.

Lastly and returning to this post's genre of Weird America, Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer stories.  Our hero Silver John rambles about the Appalachian hills encountering strange doings and stranger critters and haints. Among these is the false house or 'gardinel.' (John doesn't know why they're called that.) 
       \
      This last isn't a certain influence because it's mentioned only briefly in a 1963 short and brought up again in more detail in a novella written after the Monster Manual came out in 1977. But you never know. I for sure don't.

I think this will work just fine for a little Western gardinel. 

• By Rigel
      All Martians have psionic powers to some extent, for telepathic communication at the very least. A few possess talents far beyond the Martian norm. Undisciplined use of these powers could cause disruptions to the usually orderly Martian society, but a species learns a thing or two over the course of a million years. A rigorous program of focus, meditation, and training out in the Crystal Wastes will hone those wild talents to a suite of keen, well-directed tools. 

This fellow, from CP Miniatures (Sci-fi, Non-Commissioned, Alien Sensei) is one such psionic anchorite, learning proper and responsible use of telekinesis, remote viewing, illusion, and mental manipulation. 

Please do not call them a "space wizard" even though it seems quite accurate by Earth standards; the Martian academicians insist it is very different altogether from space wizardry and very disrespectful to confuse the two. 

The nuances of the distinction are lost on Earthlings, but then so very few of us have psionic talent in the first place.

Here's the Anchorite with a few other Martians, including 50197, whose paintjob got a touch-up. 

Keep watching the skies, cadets! 
    • By Rigel
      The Frost Salamander from Nolzur's has a wonderful chunky head and heavy-jawed face, and that won me over. It also has six legs, so not your average Earthly amphibian. Good thing there's always room for planetary monsters! And it's a great canvas for patterns; salamanders are often brightly spotted or striped. Let's make him a denizen of the steaming swamps of Retro-Venus!

More angles:

Bombshell makes some amazing sci-fi ladies and this is one such! I took some liberties with my interpretation as a Venerian Amazon--the sculpt indicates that Wanda here is wearing leggings or tight pants rather than the singlet I painted, but her headgear, belt, and boots fit very nicely with Hydra's Valkeeri sculpts. 

More angles: 

Let's put the two together!

Why does a huge predator need vivid warning coloration? Well, on Retro-Venus, there's always another, bigger predator.

I *do* love putting bright colors on weird beasties. Hope you enjoy!
    • By jwitham75
      Painted as a gorgon for D&D, so iron not brass. Quick speed paint. Not terribly much to be done given the colour scheme. Tried to make the floor a bit more interesting.