All Of Them VVitches: Nolzur Tomb Tapper as The Hunger In The Gulf (or, Midlam Squidlam Bedlam!)

Rigel

The worshippers at Saint Toad's Mere (Midlam's Kraken Cultists) have come up before. They meet at dawn on the beach to worship and call on their patron.

Here they are, same as every day. 

DSCN0579.thumb.JPG.fcc6c308c857a761a0aa6fd186e2de15.JPG

But--this is NOT a day like every day. Today, their prayers are being Answered.
DSCN0581.thumb.JPG.0ec1ee7c564cd2578ae7c9c0731d6c28.JPG

DSCN0583.thumb.JPG.368942def6d393540a7604059ac06af9.JPG

DSCN0584.thumb.JPG.c2517e330767724538bc6e2070dbcc36.JPG

Behold, the pale emissary of THE HUNGER IN THE GULF!
DSCN0585.thumb.JPG.bbeeb227734c0931f033654c16117279.JPG

"And the Beast stood on the shores of the sea."

DSCN0586.thumb.JPG.9feb6a09f1e25cf29d7cca7a9fe5f009.JPG

Click for full, awful turnaround. This avatar is hard to look at, from its rubbery, unwholesomely livid hide to the cracked fissures to the infinitely nested ventral mouths. You BETTER bet those can do some extradimensional shenanigans. I tried for a marble effect on the hammer but think I overshaded it.

Spoiler

DSCN0587.thumb.JPG.73a77f0fc5db0b5f51df2d0bf9ac8ed3.JPGDSCN0588.thumb.JPG.53e0f3bfd442989f65c18afe2432368b.JPG

DSCN0591.thumb.JPG.d8d73f461b6a7b92ca9d128a0e2bd9ff.JPG

DSCN0589.thumb.JPG.76fe97d86305918fd768c38d93023b81.JPG

DSCN0590.thumb.JPG.3d96233c933996e6dd1a103380679107.JPG

Onward, Squishian Soldiers! To new ways to shout and revel and kill!

DSCN0592.thumb.JPG.49e7a5c2ebc157ac53ade678301f8755.JPG

The Tomb-Tapper is apparently a faceless underground magic-hunter in D&D. But as soon as I saw the baggy, flaccid tentacles I knew this thing had to be related to the squid cult. The horrible mouths and cracked flesh just underscored it. 
I think the HUNGER IN THE GULF is a competing and opposed power to the PIPER IN THE WOODS. Neither of them are exactly "good," or even neutral. But they do give boons to those desperate enough to become their worshippers. It's always good for your setting to have multiple awful cults you can pit against each other. 

Either way, the HUNGER IN THE GULF is not from here originally, nor is this avatar more than a fragment of Its size and power. 
DSCN0593.thumb.JPG.4f9f0ee7ad8ab6b166793720d1172a6e.JPG

• Like 21

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really creepy - so well done! I like the sickly flesh color, the glossy bits, the bright blue sharkeyness of the 'mouth' - and perfect cultists!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone! This was a fun horrible awful thing to paint--and pretty painter-friendly, too, which is not always the case with Nolzur's.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, KruleBear said:

Gross…..nicely done. Love your slow reveals and commentary. 

Thank you! I really have gotten a lot of mileage out of the shore-print craft store paper and the Water Elemental wave mini.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:42 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Another great setting!
Love the skin on this creepy thing!

I appreciate it! I was going for some combination of pale and livid, just all kinds of unwholesome-looking. Reaper Vampiric Skin and Graveyard Bone (09272 and 09275) did a lot of the work, with assistance from GW Plaguebearer Flesh contrast. 

On 5/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Poilu_1914 said:

Great stuff! The choice of blue for the ventral mouth really makes it stand out as extra creepy.

Thank you! I knew it needed to be high-contrast and 'unnatural,' unlike what we usually associate with flesh. Felicitously, squid have blue blood anyway (copper is the oxygen-carrying metal in their blood, hemocyanin rather than the red iron we vertebrates use in hemoglobin). I'd have done blue even if the science didn't match the aesthetics though!

On 5/1/2022 at 2:48 PM, Iridil said:

This is really creepy - so well done! I like the sickly flesh color, the glossy bits, the bright blue sharkeyness of the 'mouth' - and perfect cultists!

Much obliged! Those Midlam Kraken cultists are genius sculpts. So eerie!

• Like 3

I agree...very impressive and gross. I think the marbling effect on the hammer came out quite nice. Great job with all of the little stomach teeth as well and the smooth transitions on the flesh.

Great job on the cultists, too. Love me some Midlam Miniatures.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.