Jada Twinsuns

I have a Jada Twinsuns miniature (04014) that has an unusual effect happening to the metal of the mini. Sorry for the glare of the image, but see that "orange" on it? What is that? I have a second Jada mini that also has it, but to a much lesser degree. If I prime over whatever this is, will the primer stay? I also took a knife to it and gently scraped and it does appear to come off. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this and what they may have done. No other Reaper metals I have experienced this.

Jada Twinsuns.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a little brassy from the mixed alloy that Reaper uses and/or some recycled metal.  

If it really is orange and not metallic it might be some kind of mold release, try scrubbing with a toothbrush.  You might even use a little toothpaste, baking soda or a very gentle cleaning powder like Bon Ami or a glass cooktop cleaner.  (Do not try cheap scouring powders like Comet or Ajax, they will scratch)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Update. I'm starting to get more metal miniatures with this. It's kinda freaking me out that it feels like my miniatures have contracted some kind of super contagious miniature version of Covid. I just tried washing Jada in both water and Simple Green to see if the orange patina would come off and it doesn't. I think I'm going to have to do a massive priming of all my metals to prevent this from spreading (if that's what it's doing). I'll try the other cleaners you mentioned. I don't have a good feeling about priming over this, but what other choices do I have?

Edited by VarlBlackgem

Temperature and humidity are normal, though it has been higher humidity the past few weeks, but I don't see how that could affect anything. Burning talc you say? I guess it's time to give her a nice long bath to see if it comes off.

Update #2. A friend told me to soak her in isopropyl alcohol. Why not, right? After 6 hours of soaking, the orange tint did fade slightly, but still remained. I mean, if iso cannot remove whatever it is, I'm starting to think it's an inferior metal of some type. With a knife, it does scrape off too. I also decided to prime over her regardless of the taint, and it's stuck so far, so I think I'm going to get some superfine grid sandpaper and if I ever get it again, hit it with that. I don't know what else to do other than sand and prime.

• Like 1

Metal minis are subject to all kinds of discoloration from any number of sources, and it rarely ever affects anything...

(I have old minis that had paint on them for decades and even after stripping the paint off the metal was still colored.)

• Like 4