Getting to know you MAY 2022

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2022 at 4:29 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 12,

Tell us about your local nuisance animals, have you seen them cause any interesting trouble recently?

(This question brought to you by the squirrel that managed to knock over a saw horse)

Well, there was that dwarf apple tree from last year that produced no apples for us, because it kept a family of 5 raccoons fed for the the entire season.  I ultimately decided to cut it down.

Edit:  How could I forget the woodpecker last spring that decided that rattling on our metal rain gutter was the best thing for attracting females? Right above the window of our daughter’s bedroom too.  It’s about that season again, too… I wonder if he’ll be back to torment us at all hours this year.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t had any animal problems recently.  Last year, though, it turned out that someone was feeding the foxes around work, and they got very bold…

396E2834-DF16-40AE-8445-7A1FCFF57664.jpeg.73bcab256be1954589d67dceaa34ab05.jpeg

That’s the view from the driver’s seat as we attempted to leave work one day without running over any foxes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

What is the best doughnut?

Crullers.

626px-French-Cruller-Donut.jpg

Different toppings are allowed.

When someone brings a variety box of donuts at work, they disappear fast.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

I am a glazed donut Guy. There is a donut shop in Marble Falls that makes WONDERFUL glazed donut AND, if you get there early enough, they are still warm & sticky...oh God but I miss Texas.

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Either :

the free one, or

the one I'm eating at the moment

I can identify.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

Memphis Mafia.
Voodoo donut makes it.  I had it on a trip to portland - and then they opened up a branch in my city! 
It is a the exception that proves my rule "less is more"   this donut is just MORE.    I normally split or share it, but I dont go to the shop without ordering one.
helpfully it is least a  30 min drive, and in a bad part of town, so  I am not there often.  

description from a review: 

My favorite is the Memphis Mafia; a banana fritter as big as Bill O’Reilly’s head, covered in chocolate and peanut butter frosting, with peanut butter and chocolate chips. I only guess at the nutrition numbers, which I would put at about 40 grams fat and about 1,000 calories. I probably don’t want to know the actual numbers.

donut.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:29 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 12,

Tell us about your local nuisance animals, have you seen them cause any interesting trouble recently?

(This question brought to you by the squirrel that managed to knock over a saw horse)

Every spring Mumsy wages war on the magpies in the yard. They try to build nests; she tears them down. Every day there are at least two new ones for her to find. They build them from mud and sticks, so they aren't easy to destroy. 

May 13,

I'm celiac, so this is the doughnut for me. 

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I haven’t had any animal problems recently.  Last year, though, it turned out that someone was feeding the foxes around work, and they got very bold…

396E2834-DF16-40AE-8445-7A1FCFF57664.jpeg.73bcab256be1954589d67dceaa34ab05.jpeg

That’s the view from the driver’s seat as we attempted to leave work one day without running over any foxes.

That look is almost "hi, we hear you like girl guide cookies, so we've teamed up with them!  Pre order now!"

May 13,

Hard to say.  I rather like Apple Fritters.... 

I will say though, it better be from a decent company, like Donut Mill in Red Deer, or Doughnut Party here in Edmonton, or the Italian Bakery...  Not some terrible approximation of donuts that Tim Horton's puts out... 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts Blueberry are my favorites. The best? Maybe not, but oh I like those...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

May 13,

The ones I make with my car. 

If you're talking pastry, something with jam in the middle, still warm from the fryer. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hard to say.  I rather like Apple Fritters....

The last time I bought something that I actually liked at a donut shop it was an Apple fritter. 

But, is that a donut? it is a pastry, often sold at donut shops, …as are eclairs, twists, bear claws, kolaches and cinnamon rolls… but if there is no attempt at a hole in the middle . . . is it a donut??

I quit stopping at that place after they changed how they were making the fritters. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

Chocolate icing with sprinkles, raised dough so they are light and airy. The cake-type is too dense and dry at times, hard to inhale 2 or 3 of them without a beverage. Raised is perfect for quick consumption.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

None. Not worth the caloric budget hit.

We get tons of cupcakes and donuts at work (either directly or programming leftovers). It's been great for building willpower, to pass a table of confections every day. I don't have much of a sweet tooth to start with. Sometimes I just smell them, get the flavor of it through that, and move on with my day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1