Getting to know you MAY 2022

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

What's something about painting, building, or sculpting miniatures that you wish you knew when you were getting started? 

Primer, sealant, and proper brush care when using enamels would all have been helpful…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/14/2022 at 7:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 14,

Do you prime all your minis? do you use the same primer for all materials? what color or colors do you like to use?

I always prime, and I tend to use the same stuff on everything.  Right now, the weapon of choice is AK Interactive's 3rd Gen primer, and usually for vehicles its grey or red, and for minis its a three layer zenithal of black, grey, then white (or a just barely tinted with a drop or two of grey white).  If I'm planning certain colours, I will also have pink involved. 

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

What's something about painting, building, or sculpting miniatures that you wish you knew when you were getting started? 

Wash it before painting!  Oh yeah, and that plastic cement is rather handy, provided you don't buy the useless stuff Games Workshop is selling (I last tried their stuff in 2005,and it was beyond terrible.  Found out about Tamiya Extra Thin in like 2018 or so) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

That this was going to be a lifelong, consuming passion. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

May 15,

Keep notes. 

(I don’t really know what the first miniature I painted was for sure. There’s three it might have been.)

One of the first three was either a ghostly rider or skeletal knight with a Lance. But I have know idea who made it, what company it was from, or how to find it, or look it up.

No Notes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 14,

Do you prime all your minis? do you use the same primer for all materials? what color or colors do you like to use?

I use the “correct” primer for different materials.  I’m always trying different primers to see how they adhere and react to various materials.  Generally automotive primers for metal minis, solvent-based lacquer primers for resin figures and Stynylrez or Vallejo primers for plastic or vinyl minis and models.  I sometimes experiment with multi-surface craft paint as a PVC primer, because it adheres so well.

For minis, I prime with black and spray a white zenithal highlight before painting;  for larger models, I try to prime in a color close to the final color.

May 15,

You can soften resin parts for reshaping by heating them in boiling hot water.  That would have saved a lot — a lot! — of time spent cutting and sanding!

More general advice — don’t model stuff that won’t normally be seen.  It’s a waste to detail that cockpit or building interior if you can’t see into it; likewise don’t detail the backside of a figure if it is only displayed with the front showing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

Wrapping PTFE tape around the threads of your superglue before screwing on the applicator tip, and keeping the glue in a sealed jar filled with a desiccant (silica packs) will save you a lot of money and hassle of it going bad.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

What a difference decent quality brushes can make.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 14,

I don't always prime Bones, but certainly every other material.  I've used rattle can and brush on primer in the past, but anymore I just airbrush a white/black zenithal prime.

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

I got started just last decade and was already looking up tips and tricks on the internet before I even ordered my first mini.  The only thing I remember learning the hard way was sealing Bones 1 with a spray on sealer that made them go tacky.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Use primer!

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

What a difference decent quality brushes can make.

What they said!!!

and wet palettes and thin your paint!

And buy the stuff when you can, it can go out of print!!!

The Drow

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

First of all the difference good quality brushes and paints make.

Second..all the advice I was given here since I joined, wished I knew this a few decades ago..

Third..That one day you could print minis from 3D files.. Just beam me up Scotty! Fascinating! Dammit Jim, I'm a Miniature Painter not a Doctor!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

Nothing; i.e., I rather enjoyed the discovery process. I would hate to have missed out on the misadventures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Do you have a mailbox?

The house I live in has a metal box the postman can put things in. 

I do not have a paid for PO Box anywhere, although I have in the past. 

16 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Do packages fit in it or is it just for letters?

I think it is considered or even properly called “a letter box”. But I have discovered small packages from Reaper in it sometimes. So…

Maybe they will 

or

Probably intended just for letters. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Do you have a mailbox? Do packages fit in it or is it just for letters?

(totally inspired by my new stargrave book waiting outside for 5 hours during expected tornadoes)

Yes. It holds large envelopes sometimes and small packages. Something like a book or a Reaper package gets left on the step, sometimes in the rain. 

Hope you enjoy Stargrave. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1