Getting to know you MAY 2022

28 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

[…]

(totally inspired by my new stargrave book waiting outside for 5 hours during expected tornadoes)

In the USPO, objects like a softcover Osprey rules books are called “flats”.  The giant machines used to sort them by zip code (that I have made exploded technical drawings of in a past life) are referred to as the FSS, flat sorting system. 

Anything roughly A4 paper size —that is not meant to be folded— the USPO calls “a flat”. They don’t care that in the UK a flat is a residence. That would get so confusing: “failing to deliver a flat, to a flat, because a Mail Truck had a flat …tire (tyre)”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Do you have a mailbox? Do packages fit in it or is it just for letters?

(totally inspired by my new stargrave book waiting outside for 5 hours during expected tornadoes)

Nope, only the mail slot in the front door.

Letters will fit, anything else they will have to ring the doorbell and hand it over to me, or I need to pick it up at a pick up point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Yes, I do.

Small packages will fit, but most things get left on the front step.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

May 16,

Yes to mailbox.  Packages up to trade paperback size.  (If the Stargrave is 8x10 it would not have fit.  But then, a tornado would have taken the mailbox anyway.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

May 16,

Yes, I do. It's at the end of a road, on a decline (or incline, depending on how you view it). In winter months, the mailman frequently gets stuck on snow and ice that builds up in the road because it rarely gets plowed, and the mailman never learns to just get out and walk to the box.

It fits smaller packages and large envelopes, or those shipping bags that clothes sometimes come in. Not sure if a gaming book would fit in it, but a hardback novel does.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

May 16,

Yep. It's about 10x13x16 or so, so it can fit most book-sized packages pretty well. USPS, being by far the best service, will deliver larger packages to my back patio.

Other shippers will be lucky to even find the right house, or they leave it in the rain in front of the door so I can't even open it to get the package. And I have accounts with every shipper that include instructions like 'please leave packages on back patio' and 'if you can't call me and I can sign for packages in 5 minutes from the call'. It even prints those instructions on many labels. To date, Fedex has been the only carrier to call me and both times was to talk me out of delivering in the custom window I paid $5 to move to a time when I would be home.

Fedex is the worst and I take every opportunity to share that. UPS was decent when their drivers had dedicated routes. When they changed to a more Fedex-style (where you don't have the same driver), the quality went down dramatically. It's almost as if knowing the customers and quirks of the routes is important.

And then Amazon rolled in with a new low in service and working conditions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

I have a rural address, so my post box is in the village. I finally convinced the postmaster to quit rolling up my new Stargrave books and stuffing them in the box. Amazon delivers to the post office most of the time, the rare few times they feel they must courier I send the parcels to the office. Hence, on all my international orders I write in big letters: RURAL ADDRESS. DO NOT COURIER. It's not like the house is hard to find, it's just off the highway and a local landmark. 

If my friends are dropping something off, I have them put it in the pumphouse, as it's heated in the winter. We also have no doorbell. It's a farmhouse, 'cmon! My German shepherd is supposed to let me know when people come in the yard, but I did too good of a job socializing her as a puppy. I have to buy "Beware of dog" signs not because she's mean, but so people know she lives here and watch out for her when driving in the yard.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

May 16,

No I have a letter slot in the front door.

It's supposedly just for letters, but flat-ish parcels are regularly crammed though it, if the parcel is disappointingly square they just leave it by the door.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 14,

Do you prime all your minis? do you use the same primer for all materials? what color or colors do you like to use?

yes. at this point I go with stynlerenz either white, grey, red/brown, or silver for everything

On 5/15/2022 at 8:55 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

What's something about painting, building, or sculpting miniatures that you wish you knew when you were getting started? 

600 grit sand paper is what you want to finish prepping any bones variant before priming

May 16,

there's one of those slits in the door, but it's small enough that anything thicker than the smallest padded envelope gets left on the porch.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

May 16,

I have an apartment mail box, so it's only large enough for standard letter size or larger magazine size that can fold.

My previous apartment had no mailboxes, but a centralized town post office. Very secure, but lousy hours. And the apartment before that one had the newer communal mailboxes down the street. It could accept small boxes, but the location of the mailbox itself wasn't optimal as is was slightly lower than the street level and deep puddles would accumulate after rain or during snow melts.

But as a side note, anything I order, I usually try to ship directly to my post office.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Our neighborhood has common corner mailboxes, with about 20 lockable letterboxes for nearby addresses, and two shared large lockable package boxes.  Anything that doesn’t fit in those gets delivered to our doorstep.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

I have one, but it seems to mostly collect flyers I have to recycle.  Very rarely does any mail actually come into it, its like most things are delivered directly to my inbox these days... 

Oh yeah, there's the occasional delivery notice in there because our driver doesn't want to deal with parcels and doesn't care that CanadaPost said they must attempt delivery of parcels. 

Most packages I know are being shipped CanadaPost I'll use Flex Delivery and have it sent directly to the psot office.  I get an email in the morning and it actually makes it there when it's supposed to - not three days later after I've put in two tickets (one for a missing package, and the second as suspected internal theft - yup, we had one driver that would literally keep packages in his vehicle for days on end, started putting escalated tickets in and ohhhh boy magically we got a new delivery person...) 

I get to deal with my post office more often soon, because they're ripping apart the road and sidewalk in front of the place for a few months.  CanadaPost still hasn't bothered to give us our codes we're supposed to use yet... 

Oh yeah, in the past I have had a PO Box but I'm not bothering to paying $25+ per month to have a tiny box I can get packages sent to... 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention, when I bought my house, I asked the postman if I should replace my box (as it was pretty dern tatty at the time), he loudly exclaimed NO IT'S THE BEST BOX ON MY ROUTE. After I got done laughing, I took it down, fixed it to better than new, and it's been a champ ever since.

I miss that guy. He played bass in a blues band that opened for Muddy Waters, we got to be pals when he heard me playing some Freddie King on guitar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:29 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 12,

Tell us about your local nuisance animals, have you seen them cause any interesting trouble recently?

(This question brought to you by the squirrel that managed to knock over a saw horse)

Cats with collars in my backyard & dogs with/without collars in the front yard. I can't get rid of a calico colored cat. Damn things is always back there. Dogs, are just random dogs that have gotten loose from their owner's yards.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:27 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 13,

What is the best doughnut?

I tend to either eat glazed plain or chocolate covered donuts. I'm not a fan of jelly filled ones. Favorite donut place is Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 14,

Do you prime all your minis? do you use the same primer for all materials? what color or colors do you like to use?

Yes, I prime all my minis. I also prime all scale model plastic parts as well (well besides clear parts, but you paint those, you kinda defeat the reason why they are clear! ::P:). Primers I tend to use are Duplicolor grey, Tamiya white, Krylon grey (auto-grade) & The Army Painter primers (mainly white). I am gonna try out Stlynrez here soon.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:55 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 15,

What's something about painting, building, or sculpting miniatures that you wish you knew when you were getting started? 

I'm not exactly sure about when I started, but I kinda wish I would taken more seriously, the sculpting part of the hobby, mainly for repair work & such.

8 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Yes, I do believe it's a city requirement to have one on the street, as the USPS people are lazy & don't want to get out of their vehicles, unless they really have to. Mine is a bigger one that will allow up to medium size USPS priority flat rate boxes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

At my house I have nothing, which is fine as I don't have a mailman.  In return I have a free PO box.  It may appear small on the outside, only able to hold a few letters or a rolled up magazine, but will in fact allow for 70lb packages to arrive and sit in a climate controlled building.  Thus my default option is always USPS.

FedEx is fine.  They put it on the front step, don't block the door, and call ahead if there is a problem.

UPS is fine as long as there are no issues.  If there is an issue they try and lose my package. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1