Getting to know you MAY 2022

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

Do you have a mailbox? Do packages fit in it or is it just for letters?

(totally inspired by my new stargrave book waiting outside for 5 hours during expected tornadoes)

The previous government had decided that it was more economical to change from to door-to-door deliver to community mailboxes, so that I can walk to the end of the block in all manner of weather to get it instead of it being conveniently by my front door. A few weeks after I got switched over, a new government came in and immediately cancelled the change to community mailboxes. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to switch anybody back to the the old way.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

(totally inspired by my new stargrave book waiting outside for 5 hours during expected tornadoes)

Yup, mailbox on our road, big enough for small packages.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

I do; a flat pack with an Osprey book would be about the limit.  We also have a mail slot that isn’t supposed to be used, but occasioanlly substitute mail carriers don’t realize there’s a box.  If something is too big tfor the box our regular mail carrier generally brings it up and puts in on the screen porch, which is usually dry in the rain.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

When I was living in Texas, Cap'n John had a locking mailbox that was letters only. Packages were left at the side door.

Back home on Long Island, we have a larger mailbox that can accommodate small packages. Large ones are left at the front door.

We also have the same P.O. Box that we had when Old Crazy Linda & I first moved to Sound Beach back in 1974.  

22 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

How do you prefer your space aliens? Monstery? big eyes and tiny grey bodies? dude wearing a space suit and a weird forehead? something else?

I am not a SciFi Guy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

How do you prefer your space aliens? Monstery? big eyes and tiny grey bodies? dude wearing a space suit and a weird forehead? something else?

Werewolves are always a good candidate...  What, I'm not going to argue with a werewolf, it's a WEREWOLF. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

I'm not into Scifi but I make an exception for the Green Ones.

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-17 142253.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

56 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

completely non human.
Give me huge intelligent jellyfish from a gas planet,  or intelligent starfish the size of dogs, a neural network made up out of a square mile of plant life. 
At the very least, aliens that can only interact with humans with the help of specialized breathing equipment.   Oxygen/Water  is very good  chemical catalyst
so a lot of life would have roughly the same temperature requirements - but the chances of it being able to tolerate earth air, or vice versa, is complete chance. 

also with our gravity, most animals fall in the 5cm - 2.5m  range with more complex brains in the .5m and up.  but much higher or lower gravity might change the scale 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

I prefer my aliens to be more or less Lovecraftian in nature. Give me a big old blob sprouting random tentacles over a guy with pointy ears any day. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

How do you prefer your space aliens?

Three to five galaxies away…

Monstery?

Especially those. 

big eyes and tiny grey bodies?

Why not tiny grey eyes and great big bodies?

dude wearing a space suit and a weird forehead? something else?

Just the space suit is fine; if it’s wearing someone […thing] else’s forehead, it can stay six galaxies away. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The problem with space aliens is that they are liable to do this…

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Purged, of course.

image.png.5a87eff6bea28d035b3189c85a66023c.png

…to US. 

Seven galaxies away, final answer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 16,

We have a community mailbox like Pezler described beside a small community hall out in the country. It used to be just a bunch of small green boxes that only fit letters and magazines. They upgraded it a few years ago so that the personal boxes were a bit bigger and there are two parcel boxes. The parcel boxes aren't all that big so we still need to go to the post office for anything large or odd shaped. Mail is only delivered twice a week so for much of my life I've timed my trips for the days it was delivered so that my mail wasn't sitting there for days.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

May 17,

I'm not into Scifi but I make an exception for the Green Ones.

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-17 142253.jpg

What he said except I do read and watch a lot of scifi. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 17,

I like a variety. Ones that want to eat me......flamethrowers on High.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1