Getting to know you MAY 2022

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Last night I kind of got talked into helping someone try and find recordings of a show they had seen a long time ago that is now mostly unavailable, so...

May 3:

Is there any sort of lost media you're still looking for? Old TV shows? Songs you can't find recordings of? Missing books? That one issue of a magazine that was the only source for rules for a really cool out of print mini? Tell us about it.

There used to be a bunch of Garfield (the lasagna-loving cat) animated TV specials that would play when I was a kid. A Christmas special, a Halloween, one where he goes to a Hawaii-esque area, and others. I haven't seen those in ages. Never see them on dvd/bluray either. Charlie Brown always gets aired on tv, but no Garfield anymore, at least none that I have found.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Last night I kind of got talked into helping someone try and find recordings of a show they had seen a long time ago that is now mostly unavailable, so...

May 3:

Is there any sort of lost media you're still looking for? Old TV shows? Songs you can't find recordings of? Missing books? That one issue of a magazine that was the only source for rules for a really cool out of print mini? Tell us about it.

Actually in the last few months I found 2 things I had been looking for for years. A copy of Flying Tigers by John Toland, that started my love of reading and WW2 aircraft, and a copy of the sales brochure for a 1978 Jeep CJ7 with the Golden Eagle packages in it.

I guess the other book I am looking for is "Hell, I was there" by Elmer Keith,yeah, you can find it, but I don't want to give up a kidney for it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

I lose stuff all the time but then I don't remember what it was so...... 

DH is a Jack L Chalker fan and on the lookout for them every time we travel and go through used book stores or thrift shops. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

Is there any sort of lost media you're still looking for?

Yes. 
I think so. 

Old TV shows?

I am not that invested in old TV. 

Songs you can't find recordings of? Missing books?

Not as much these. 

That one issue of a magazine that was the only source for rules for a really cool out of print mini?

There was an old magazine that I did successfully hunt down. I got a copy for myself and my brother. 

image.jpeg.f9d5439de8fa287646453dbd1a5483cd.jpeg

Tell us about  it. 

The cover shows two aliens playing some sort of chess-like game. That imagery was part of the inspiration that got two kids (me and my brother)  to try coming up with a more “intricate, complicated form of chess” (like you do?!?) We started with two sets of wooden chessmen, some black markers, and some white poster board. 

Fast forward about 40 years….we made our game into an app for Apple devices. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7940f9e07bb7c32a19704c6fd6a0057f.jpeg

The name of it is— CHESSAGON —available on Apple’s App Store. Sadly, There is not an Android version. Sorry. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

Not really, unless it's the soundtrack for Titan A. E.   I kind of want to get my paws on that...  Absolutely love that movie... 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes. 
The cover shows two aliens playing some sort of chess-like game. That imagery was part of the inspiration that got two kids (me and my brother)  to try coming up with a more “intricate, complicated form of chess” (like you do?!?) We started with two sets of wooden chessmen, some black markers, and some white poster board. 

If my SF art eye is correct, it looks like a Kelly Freas painting. 

I discovered board wargames at 10, so a lot of interest in more complicated forms of chess ended up channeled into wargames. 

I did borrow a slender volume repeatedly from my local library, called Chess Variations: Ancient, Regional, and Modern, which served as my general intro to non-standard-European-chess. 

Xiang Qi is the one that most interests me, with its terrain and jumping pieces (cannons) not found in ortho-chess. I’m no good at it, for lack of study and practice, but it still interests me. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

Not really, thou I do kinda get lost in them, if I stumble across something. Example, I was looking for something & I came across a archive (pirate??) site that had a bunch of random things either as scanned pdfs, or jpegs, etc etc. I read the entire Atari comic book series. I was into that when I was a kid, but only got the first few issues. They had Nintendo Power issues, some gaming stuff from TSR, adult magazines. There was even some coloring/activity books for the D&D era of Warduke, Kelek & such. Also some Legend of Zelda media stuff like stickers, comics, etc etc.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 10:39 AM, TGP said:

I guess I go with WWMJD. (What would @Mad Jack do: Listen to the voices in his head…)

Heh... Actually, I usually play music while painting - it's much easier to concentrate when all the voices in my head are singing the same song, lol.

• Haha 7

On 5/2/2022 at 5:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 2:

What if anything do you listen to while painting? have any recommendations for the rest of us?

I like audiobooks especially much. Right now I'm listening to "The Hate U Give". It's a very interesting perspective on racial issues, and it's quite deep. The book has been banned from a number of school libraries, probably for language as much as content, but I think it should be require reading for high school students. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

Looking for Issue #1 of the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society, and Book 7 Merchants for 1st edition Traveller....

The book i've not seen under $100....

I want it, but not that bad!!!

Old Grenadier 28mm Traveller minis as well....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

My life seems to be a hunt for the OOP. I'd really like to have a copy of some Littlest Hobo on DVD. I finally managed to track down that Egyptian RPG I wanted. Sentry Box had it, and they gave it to me for a steal. I really only wanted the back pages of campaign ideas. I wish they would do a remake of Captain Planet, but I haven't seen the original since I was a kid. There are a few issues of Dungeon Magazine I'd like to have, but they are ridiculiously expensive. I also need to break down and buy the Twilight Zone boxed set with all the original episodes. I also wish someone would re-air "Secret Files of the Spanish Inquisition". 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

For me no, but for my Housemate it's The Love Boat.

She's crazy about the show, but the channel she saw it on a few years ago never reran it (Which was very odd for that sort of niche cable channel, they tend to rerun stuff into the ground), and it was never fully put out on DVD either.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 4:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 2:

What if anything do you listen to while painting? have any recommendations for the rest of us?

When I paint in the evenings, I watch/listen to other miniature painters live-streaming on Twitch.  I generally try to find someone in about my age range, which means “rapidly approaching old fogey” status.  I like to listen to DrFaustPaintingClinic, MonsterDenMinis, and of course Anne on PaintingBig, among many others.

17 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

The real grail-type searches?  Easier to find them now, in this modern internet age.  Looking for the railroad photo book “The Pacific Electric In Color, Vol. 2” (I have volume 1 and it’s lonely — wait, scratch that, it’s for sale on Amazon), paperback books by obscure sci-fi author Reginald Bretnor, and various DVD collections of early cartoon shorts that are not available for reasonable prices.

One online item that caught my eye recently was a scanned Gold Key Comic by the title of “Choo-Choo Charlie”, a one-off based on the advertising character for Charleston Chew candy bars.  As I read it, I realized I had owned it as a young child and read it many, many times.  It probably was one of the sources of my life-long love of trains.  It would be neat to hold that one in my hands again…

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 3:

I should add the Papyrus animated show to this. I believe it was made in Quebec as a joint venture between Canadian and French francophones in the early 90's. It's an adaptation of a French comic that had probably 30 volumes. I have a couple of the translated ones--my french isn't good enough to comprehend the whole thing. Sadly, they only translated a few into english. I have a few DVDs of Papyrus that I got at the dollar store, of all places. It's not amazing, but I like to watch it while I paint. Maybe I should study french harder: I still have ancestors in Alsace with my last name (it's not common, so they're certainly relatives) who speak french and my main source for Sandgrave is a french site. 

If someone has a print copy of Tribal by Mana Games that needs a new home within N. America, I could take it. I bought the PDF because shipping from AUS to CAN is more than the book. 

I also have a Greek temple made of cement or something very heavy from a defunct terrain company called JD or JT or something like that. They also made a ruined version. Perhaps one day I will find it...

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 6