Getting to know you MAY 2022

27 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

How old were you when you first used the internet? What is the first thing you remember doing on there?

A 2400 baud modem might have been involved.

My memory is too fuzzy and I am (thankfully?) unable to date myself with much accuracy. Internet, with a real browser, and URLs… (I had something that predated the proper internet that was dial-up based) …just not sure. 

Late 20s, maybe. 
www.nasa.gov mighta been an early destination. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/26/2022 at 7:08 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 26,

There is a lizard in a clear plastic cup with a lid on it. The cup has a label "no ice, no milk, lizard, for lizard" what do you do with the cup and lizard.

also are there lizards where you live? which kind?

Depending on circumstances most likely pop the lid and tip it over so it can go where it wants. Possibly try to figure out who/why it was left there. No lizards here. A few different types of snakes and amphibians. 

46 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

How old were you when you first used the internet? What is the first thing you remember doing on there?

I was either the fall of 95 or earlier 96. I took a computer course in University and a large part of it was learning how to use the internet for research. Don't remember much about the what we looked up as part of the class but remember hunting down memorabilia (which I didn't buy) for various shows I watched as a kid. Still do that 25 years later!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

I must have been about 25.  This was back in the late 80s when home internet access was still uncommon, but I was able to use it by virtue of working at a university.

The first thing I can remember doing was subscribing to the Traveller mailing list.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

I was about 29 or 30 yrs old I guess.

Searching for minis and how people painted them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

I remember it well, I  was on my first ship in the Navy,  and we had just returned home after a very cool port visit to Atlantis. 

I looked up funny cat pictures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

Early 90s maybe?

Small local BBS over 2400bps modem was my first access. Managed to find a couple of games that weren't traded between people at school on floppy disks. Then came the university library computers over Veronica/Archie. And eventually the computer labs got connected. So I was there when Mosaic and Netscape existed, and saw the heydays of Yahoo, GeoCities, Altavista, and plenty of IRC chat channels with the endless "part 1 of XXX" split downloads.

Then came the late 90s early 2000s and the Napster/Kazaa/Limewire wave. Online gaming (Diablo, Starcraft). Back then, eBay was a treasure trove. All over 54kbps and no one on the phone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

I was using networked computers as far back as 1975 (including a fun gaffe when I accidentally sent the output of my game of ADVENT to the regional office's printer...

Then I was 'online' in the early 80s, culminating in a couple years of hosting a BBS (kind of a pre-internet website/message board) from my bedroom after 10pm. Focus was skateboarding but I also had a video game section that even included a paywall for game tips (that I got by hex-editing games to find secrets). I was really so much more of a nerd back then!

When the band got going, I didn't have much contact with tech in the late 80s. I saw some folks using computers on the Internet, but wasn't really interested in tech anymore. Then in 93 I got my first 'modern' pc, but still didn't connect it to the Internet until 96 or 97 when I got into an alpha for Ultima Online. Been online since then.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

It was sometime in the late 80's, so late teens or early 20s.  The internet was all line commands and IP addresses, no fancy browsers, no mouse controllers to click on anything.  There was a lot of waiting for dial ups, hoping that one of the 4-6 connections was open, that the BBS wouldn't crash or bump you in the middle of a download.  I remember getting simple games, puzzles and mazes, jokes (my husband ran The Joke List, which was automated and sent the joke of the day), ascii art, recipes, home made D&D adventures, all kinds of stuff.  Mainly text file sharing, since there were no graphics as we know them at the time and nobody imagined you could share anything like music or video at the time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

What is this "internet" you speak of?

I was probably around 12 when I first heard of it? And maybe within a year started using it? It would have been when my tech-savvy brother came home from university for the summer. I probably used it to play multiplayer Warcraft 2. Then Starcraft and eventually Diablo once I bought my own computer for my room. That would have been a few years later though, after I got my first job in high school. Oh, and ICQ was big around then, I had that too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

Probably 1993 so 42 years old.  I had been on the bulletin boards for 12 years before that which were like text forums, but 1993 was the first time the public was allowed to access it.  I still have the 300 baud acoustic modem I used to get on the bulletin boards.  

novation-cat-300-baud-modem.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

What is this "internet" you speak of?

it is a series of cats passing messages in groups of 6 while yelling EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEeeeeE

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

I was in my mid-teens. It was at high-school in the 90's and we were allowed to use the Internet to do research for our Business Studies GNVQ, no idea what i looked up though.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

Early early '90's,and who knows what I looked up back then.  I was young enough back then 😛

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 27,

Early 90's so somewhere between 3-6 years old.

I know I'd did things on the internet far before Neopets became a thing but do not remember what those things were.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1