Getting to know you MAY 2022

22 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Last night I kind of got talked into helping someone try and find recordings of a show they had seen a long time ago that is now mostly unavailable, so...

May 3:

Is there any sort of lost media you're still looking for? Old TV shows? Songs you can't find recordings of? Missing books? That one issue of a magazine that was the only source for rules for a really cool out of print mini? Tell us about it.

I got distracted by the chess discussion and didn’t post my own …

In 1982, there were 6 episodes of a not-quite-Steampunk (which didn’t have a name yet) TV series called Q.E.D.; I was moving to my new job somewhere in those six weeks and didn’t see all of the episodes.  I doubt it was anywhere near as interesting as I remember, but the episode plots generally had to do with the not-quite-mad scientist Quentin E Deverill foiling some anachronistic plot, such as delaying development of German rocket technology, breaking up a smuggling operation running a new morphine derivative (heroin) or preventing someone from destabilizing the world economy by releasing a flood of cheap Japanese automobiles.  As far as I know, it’s never been available.

11 hours ago, knarthex said:

Looking for Issue #1 of the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society, and Book 7 Merchants for 1st edition Traveller....

The book i've not seen under $100....

I want it, but not that bad!!!

I’m supposing that you want a real physical copy? Both of those are available in pdf from Mark Miller’s Far Futures company, or on DriveThru RPG.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

What do you know about card games? Know any unusual ones? have you ever won at faro? Did you cheat?

I know that I don't/won't play any for money.

No, I don't think I know any unusual ones.

Never heard of Faro.

N/A

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

What do you know about card games? Know any unusual ones? have you ever won at faro? Did you cheat?

Not much. About the only card game I play is solitaire.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I know that I don't/won't play any for money.

No, I don't think I know any unusual ones.

Never heard of Faro.

N/A

I recommend looking it up. Not because it is good, but because it is such a lousy game that frequently both dealer and players would be cheating. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

I know that while there is a wide variety of them, I rarely play any, even though one of our favourite tabletop games is a deck builder style (Clank!). 

Don't know any unusual ones, and I've never heard of faro. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

Never played Faro. But on very rare occasions I will go to a poker night hosted by a coworker. It took a while to get an invite to that game as the first time I was asked to come over I was all like "well, you guys are going to have to teach me how to play." And "I hope you all don't take too much of my money," and other nonsense. The guy doing the inviting was all big smiles and "sure, we'll help you learn the game, no problem." Then my wife, who's watching the conversation but obviously not understanding what I'm doing, says "what are you talking about? You've been playing poker since before I met you." I was eventually invited, but not on that day.

I've also been known to play a little euchre. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

I have played common card games.

Also Magic the Gathering when it was new.

My girl and me often play the card game version of Catan.

Have played Macchiavelli and UNO for some reason.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

I’m not much of a card game player, either in the traditional 4 suits/52 card games, or the collectible ones, although I did play a fair amount of Magic when it was new. (Yes, I’ve long since sold the valuable cards, and the last expansion I bought in booster box quantities was Fallen Empires, if that gives you a time stamp.) 

In traditional card games, I am from the euchre belt (Buffalo to Chicago, roughly), so I do play; most recently at the family gathering at Christmas.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

I’m not much of a card game player, either in the traditional 4 suits/52 card games, or the collectible ones, although I did play a fair amount of Magic when it was new. (Yes, I’ve long since sold the valuable cards, and the last expansion I bought in booster box quantities was Fallen Empires, if that gives you a time stamp.) 

In traditional card games, I am from the euchre belt (Buffalo to Chicago, roughly), so I do play; most recently at the family gathering at Christmas.

Ah yes euchre, that game everyone in college expected me to know how to play but could never be bothered to teach. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

If you've ever read the Black Company, their ongoing games of Tonk remind me of my band years. We always had a card game going on somewhere. Luckily most of the guys weren't into gambling, so it was usually Spades or Rummy. 

Years later I was working with our old drummer's band and they were all hardcore gamblers, only played Texas Hold'em and bet coins. Ugh. That's about when I stopped playing cards, though I do enjoy an old-school game of solitaire.

I don't do many modern card games. I played MtG but got out when 4th edition hit. Ironically I did make some money with that game, started when I was watching my ex's little brother at the mall and he saw an MtG tournament was just starting up. We played each other regularly, so we figured it might be fun. He washed out quick, but I made it to the finals and got some money (I think it was the era of my brutal black/red deck, it used to beat eeeeveryone locally to the point I retired it and set about just making themed decks to keep it fair. There was a pretty active circuit at the time at the local bars.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

We regularly play card games here at Casa Corsair. Never tried Faro, even though it was extremely popular in the U.S.'s old west. Used to be an above average poker player, although no longer play for cash. And I do miss playing Spades...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 2:

What if anything do you listen to while painting? have any recommendations for the rest of us?

Usually music, occasionally a live stream or something that I don't need to watch.

I use amazon's streaming service for mine, not the premium, which has lately introduced a stop in play every hour or so.  Kind of annoying but also good for my back as I have to at least move over to my other desk to restart it.
Currently I have 3 bands I rotate through depending on my mood. In This Moment, Rage Against the Machine, and Slipknot.
If the free service ever includes their latest stuff, I'll add Electric Callboy to the rotation.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

Last night I kind of got talked into helping someone try and find recordings of a show they had seen a long time ago that is now mostly unavailable, so...

May 3:

Is there any sort of lost media you're still looking for? Old TV shows? Songs you can't find recordings of? Missing books? That one issue of a magazine that was the only source for rules for a really cool out of print mini? Tell us about it.

I'd love to find some actual footage of all the old, regional kids shows I watched growing up. Particularly Bixby and Me, which was on for a fairly short period of time and possibly just in NS....

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 4:

I know better that to ever get into another CCG.  My completionist mentality does not go well with them; it gets expensive very quickly.....

Traditional card games, I grew up on 45s, crib, crazy 8s, etc.
Now I pretty much only play a little crib with my folks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

May 4:

What do you know about card games?

You need decks of cards to play them…

Know any unusual ones?

Canfield (…a type of solitaire)

Have you ever won at faro?

No

Did you cheat?

At Faro?

Never played, thus…

Never won. 
Never cheated.

Don't remember ever hearing the name before today. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1