Getting to know you MAY 2022

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

What's the most interesting competition you've ever been to? Were you a participant or a spectator?

Neither a participant nor spectator, I was working at the Exhibition when the truck and tractor pulls were going going. Lots of fun to see, and a good time all around.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May 7

What's the most interesting competition you've ever been to? Were you a participant or a spectator?

Just last weekend went to a Cowboy Action Shooting match in Alabama. Participated and had a blast. I'm second from right

Posse 10.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

Possibly a state science fair. At least in terms of the sheer number of actually interesting things to see. I was neither a competitor nor a spectator. I was a judge. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

Hmmm, nothing really out of the ordinary, mostly sporting stuff. Kickboxing tournaments spring to mind, as a spectator and participant (competitor and coach). Those are always interesting if you enjoy such spectacles.

A less violent one was a crew/rowing competition on the Wannsee in Berlin, Germany, during high school. Obviously it was conducted in German, and every team except mine was fluent in German (my school was in Berlin, it's not like we traveled there across countries); we were a physical education class (who also had to do Saturday intramural courses with the younger grades). Our coxswain still gave the commands in German, as we were taught by a German man. We didn't win anything, but we didn't flip the boat either which in itself is a win. I haven't thought about that for many years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 6:

What are you working on building or painting this month? have any pictures?

I am plodding along with the second of the Witches' Isles:

DSCN0589.thumb.JPG.8530798a2309f8478e86cdb17207acca.JPG

DSCN0591.thumb.JPG.f20af8fd9d0eefefa5c2f61937cc5a86.JPG

DSCN0590.thumb.JPG.919b30197b5b5f04e21989a63c474886.JPG

Populating the place will be on the agenda as well...probably.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, TGP said:

A Duergar Hammerer from WotC's version of Chainmail

I did not when I started to answer this. But I managed to snap one.

62096267-0BE9-4001-8269-BEAB4EFE9EAA.thumb.jpeg.4668a24fa6b607468592f3f62293579a.jpeg

Duergar Hammerer

The Hammerer was part of a small box set that included a Human Glaivesman and a Human Sorceror. I never knew if this golem-like construct was built by the Duergar or if it was made by the human faction for the specific purpose of pounding on Duergar. 

The work I did on him was to reattach the left arm which had become detached from the ball-and-socket shoulder.

The stock model has one hammer arm and one claw arm, but somehow mine has double hammers. 

I think it was originally a human device (ie new Chainmail era) & it got switched over to Duegar for 5e.

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

You know I'm not exactly sure. I've been to many ReaperCons & the various Opens they have. I really don't do competitions, so most likely those. Mostly not a participant. Awards don't do it for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

In all seriousness ReaperCon has been the most interesting. Both as participant and spectator. Seeing the creativity from all levels of talent is simply inspiring and sometimes intimidating (those gold levels are something else).

For pure fun, watching very young children playing team sports is guaranteed adorable entertainment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

May 8,

Is there a terrible movie you still like to watch?

A few, yes. 

Escape from New York

Big Trouble in Little China

Night of the Comet

Star Wars

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

May 8,

Zontar! Thing from Venus.  It is a terrible movie that is a remake of a bad B-movie with amateur actors.  It was so bad! I remember one scene where a man shoots his wife because the aliens have taken over her mind. In a monotone with no emotion whatsoever he says "No, Martha no" (It's been a while so I don't remember her name)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Catch up time!

Work bench with some of the current projects:

20220508_095926.thumb.jpg.709f590c5f7fa70b5ec131406adbb8f2.jpg

On 5/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

Hard to say. 

I've been to several professional sporting events (spectator, obviously) as well as a lot of little league/high school sporting events (participant and spectator).

I've also been to the Reaper open at Reapercon a few times as both participant and spectator. They were all fun/interesting in one way or another.

May 8,

I don't re-watch terrible movies.

Now, if we're talking about movies that critics thought were terrible, the list is nigh endless. I don't put much stock in critics opinions.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 9:07 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

My younger son used to be a figure skater (ice dancer, to be specific), so I’ve been to many skating competitions.  He retired in 2012, though, so it’s getting to be a while.

AD768665-B5B3-44D5-AA2B-A5118F222DA4.jpeg.7d7c1ae6121dcc7cb13b5fb5532a2b32.jpeg

Usually, I was a spectator, although I did announcing at local competitions occasionally.  However, I do take lessons in ice dancing just for fun, and have been on the ice in competition a couple of times myself, mostly just so that I could say that I had done it. 

474457C0-01DD-4126-B31C-FD6A3FB71849.jpeg.db0b7597287f3d2bb46fb3ead8fdf6b6.jpeg

I’ve been in the speed painting competitions at Gen Con most of the years I’ve been.  I’m better at that that I am at ice dancing, but, in general, I’m really not much for competition.

6C81BA9F-30D7-4991-8889-2E75FC0ACFEB.jpeg.14401df88d7e8d82af55fd173babb2bc.jpeg

May 8,

No, not really …

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 6:

What are you working on building or painting this month? have any pictures?

Building the walls around the Emerald City for a "Wars of Ozz" game at Historicon in July. So far we have cobbled together a "proof-of-concept" design, and now need to cut out all the rest of the parts.  (See photo below)

On 5/7/2022 at 9:07 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 7

Back in the 70's my sister and I would routinely compete in our town's annual 4th of July Frog Jumping and Turtle Derby contests.  (They've since been discontinued when the realization that bringing a bunch of wild animals together to share diseases, and then returning them back into the wild to spread them further all over the county, was not a great idea.)  

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 8,

Xanadu is a perennial favorite of my wife and I.  Its sheer over the top late '70's/early 80's bizarreness is a thing to behold.  ELO's music is great, and Gene Kelly adds a nice touch of class.

image.png

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

May 8,

It depends.

I can't think of anything I consider terrible that I'd want to re-watch, but movies that critics/public opinion has determined to be terrible? The list is pretty much endless!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1