The coin chart in part 4 has errors

The coin chart in part four has some errors regarding the value of ep.  For example, it shows a sp is worth 1/2 ep but an ep is worth 5 sp.  Sometimes the chart uses a 1:2 ration between ep and sp and sometimes it uses a !:5 ratio.  I think 1:5 is the correct ratio

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he says pedantically, it would depend on the size of the coins and the gold/silver ratio in the electrum alloy (which isn’t particularly “fixed”). Historically the real problem with electrum coins was that it was easy to debase the currency by adding additional silver to the alloy, usually leading to the ultimate end state of the coinage becoming silver without alloying gold.  

As amusing as I think the whole numismatic world is in real life, fantasy rpg trips to the assayer or fussy merchant weighing of individual coins should probably be avoided…

• Reaper User
1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, he says pedantically, it would depend on the size of the coins and the gold/silver ratio in the electrum alloy (which isn’t particularly “fixed”). Historically the real problem with electrum coins was that it was easy to debase the currency by adding additional silver to the alloy, usually leading to the ultimate end state of the coinage becoming silver without alloying gold.  

As amusing as I think the whole numismatic world is in real life, fantasy rpg trips to the assayer or fussy merchant weighing of individual coins should probably be avoided…

Never underestimate the utility of a well-timed prestidigitation cantrip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2