Aboleth [WZK90258]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a soft spot for these horrible fellas! Good work on the shading.

Agreed with the above; gloss it up to make it look slimy, and a bit of contrast on there will make it pop. If you have any reindeer moss lying about, it would be a great accent for the lake-bottom base. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rigel said:

I've got a soft spot for these horrible fellas! Good work on the shading.

Agreed with the above; gloss it up to make it look slimy, and a bit of contrast on there will make it pop. If you have any reindeer moss lying about, it would be a great accent for the lake-bottom base. 

Aboleths are one of my go to monsters for underwater adventures.

I agree with everyone's suggestions and will be glossing them up. Never heard of reindeer moss before so I looked it up and ordered some. When it gets here I'll add some to the base and upload new pics.

• Like 3

Very nice, I love aboleths and am designing a campaign featuring one. 

Your highlighting and shading are very good. If I had to suggest something, it would be to add another color. Maybe some yellow to highlight the dorsal fins. That should compliment the green nicely. 

I'm also one of those who gloss whatever is supposed to be shiny or wet. I doubt top painters would do it, but it works for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like this...amazing work on the green skin. It looks so natural (especially impressive, since it's on such an UNNATURAL creature). I agree about glossing it up. However, color-wise, I think you've got everything you need. I can see you've got the added pops of color around the head/mouth. I think it's just the case that the model's orientation on the base doesn't really show off that extra color (so, at a glance, it seems like it lacks color). Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grand Slam said:

I really like this...amazing work on the green skin. It looks so natural (especially impressive, since it's on such an UNNATURAL creature). I agree about glossing it up. However, color-wise, I think you've got everything you need. I can see you've got the added pops of color around the head/mouth. I think it's just the case that the model's orientation on the base doesn't really show off that extra color (so, at a glance, it seems like it lacks color). Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling.

You are absolutely right about the angle of the model on the base. It also doesn't help that I don't have the best camera in the world. There are actually several shades of green to yellow-green on this one that just don't seem to want to show up well in pictures.

My first thought was that the base needed a little more "something." Does it make sense to say the utter plainness of the base draws attention when it shouldn't? I think adding to the base to create an environment for the creature will actually make the aboleth stand out more, especially if you choose colors that make the green on the creature "pop" more. 

Because the actual paint job on the aboleth is great! 🙂

7 hours ago, Painting Dog said:

My first thought was that the base needed a little more "something." Does it make sense to say the utter plainness of the base draws attention when it shouldn't? I think adding to the base to create an environment for the creature will actually make the aboleth stand out more, especially if you choose colors that make the green on the creature "pop" more. 

Because the actual paint job on the aboleth is great! 🙂

Makes perfect sense. I actually got some stuff to spruce it up a bit but haven't gotten back around to doing it yet.