Advanced Classes - What are you Looking For?

Wren

• Artists

I have a question for class takers, especially those who’ve been painting and taking classes for a while.

I regularly see comments wishing for more advanced/technical classes. My question to the people looking for those is:

What are some examples of what you consider to be more advanced class topics? What makes something more technical? What exactly are the classes you want to take that you aren’t seeing offered? (Or not enough of offered.)

I’ve been thinking about this for years, and I never really come up with any concrete ideas for what could be done that would accomplish anything meaningful in the 90-120 minutes of a class, particularly a hands-on one. So I thought I would go to the source and ask the people looking for the classes!

I have a few followup questions and comments, but I figure best to just start here.

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed in the past that "How to paint hot chicks" sells out immediately, followed by the various "how to paint faces/hair/skin" classes. 

I think there's a need among the advanced painters for some serious competition level painting reviews.  You know how crazy it gets on Sunday morning with everyone wanting feedback.  How about some short, scheduled, 1-on-1 sessions where people can bring their painted entry(ies) from previous years and talk to judges before the competition. 

There seems to be a great deal of interest in the various properties of Reaper paints.  What are liners? What are "clear" paints?  What is the difference between Bones paint and Core Colors?  What paints work better as glazes, and what is glazing anyway?  Why is my white going chalky? 

• Like 1

My wife and I have been to Reapercon for the last five years and ONE OF US is an excellent painter. (hint: it ain't me) 😄 Anyway, here's what comes to mind feedback.

• A focused lesson on identifying and painting volumes for highlight placement and reflections.
    • Related: utilizing grisaille underpainting

• Conveying mood and ambiance through selection of value, hue, composition, etc.
  • Pushing contrast via value and hue.
  • Working with limited palettes (analogous color schemes, monochromatic color schemes, zorn palette)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

There seems to be a great deal of interest in the various properties of Reaper paints.  What are liners? What are "clear" paints?  What is the difference between Bones paint and Core Colors?  What paints work better as glazes, and what is glazing anyway?  Why is my white going chalky? 

The Reaper Pro Tips ^ videos are this. If someone undertook the thankless (?) task of reviewing and clipping segments from Anne’s daily morning show, each and every one of those questions have been answered (and probably several times). Combining and condensing all of these could result in a video class on that general topic. 

• Like 1

Just off the top of my head (and I've been awake exactly 7 minutes), I would consider using multiple painting techniques and styles together "advanced". Sort of, how to achieve X effect by using X plus Y. Positioning and locating the figure on the base, and maybe what extra elements to add. It's all those little things that push a figure from silver to gold, or even to Sophie levels.

My entry from 2017 comes to mind. The feedback I got that year was that if I'd added some extra details, it would have achieved gold. It's that small insight that is what I'd consider "advanced" learning.

• Like 3

I still have difficulty with color scheme selection when it comes to which color I should use to make my shadows *AND* highlights without drifting into "too blue, too green, too yellow, etc." (something the triads helped with), or without going with the "add black/white" path and end with muted greys or pastels.

Additionally, are there any techniques to keep a common color scheme and make them warmer/cooler? Granted, I haven't done much research on the subject, but "add yellow for warmer, add blue for cooler" is not a satisfactory answer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TGP said:

The Reaper Pro Tips ^ videos are this. If someone undertook the thankless (?) task of reviewing and clipping segments from Anne’s daily morning show, each and every one of those questions have been answered (and probably several times). Combining and condensing all of these could result in a video class on that general topic. 

Probably they have been, but if you're going to splice old youtube videos, and call it a class, there's not much point in having Reapercon.  You can find tutorials online for just about any paint or miniatures topic.   Not that the mash-up wouldn't have value, but that's not what we take classes for. 

• Like 1

Probably the best 'advanced' class I've taken was Ben Cantor's class on composition (don't recall the name). Planning, reference art, and overall composition of a contest piece.

Freehand is another 'advanced' class I'd take again until it sticks. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, reytheist said:
  • Pushing contrast via value and hue.

Just going to throw out on this one, Michelle Farnsworth gave a great class at Adepitcon on pushing contrast with hue.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:21 PM, Inarah said:

So, here's a thought I'm going to throw out that I've suggested before and I think it flew like a lead balloon, but I still think it would work.

Reapercon has always had mostly classes. However, due to the nature of hands on instruction, this limits the class size. 

But a presentation, that could be something different.  Treat it kind of like the panels or special speaker type things that a lot of cons do.  Grab a bigger room, set up a bunch of chairs with a raised platform and a projector on one end, and for information dump topics without hands-on instruction you could seat a lot more people.  There's a possibility of better back and forth between speaker and audience than a twitch show, and information dump topics like this could be handled pretty straight forward.

Also worth mentioning, last year if we as attendees wanted to watch any of the streamed content, we had to do so by sticking our noses in our phones and hoping that with 300 of us all streaming the same thing it didn't overwhelm the mobile network/wifi.
I would dearly LOVE for the 'live' content to be presented in a stage format, where people in attendence could hang out and watch without having to use our mobile devices. Understandibly I get that they don't want to take over the main ballroom but if there's a 'theater' room that could be set up for people to watch live without having to rely on mobile networks, I think that could go over great.

• Like 4

• Artists

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

Just to keep things on target - I'm an instructor asking on behalf of instructors submitting classes, and classes only. We want to offer what you want to take! We just can't always figure out what that is. 😆 That's definitely the case for me with the 'advanced' thing, and I guess I'm not the only instructor if we're not offering enough of it. It's the kind of thing people will have different definitions of, I'm already seeing that in the answers so far. I started this thread after reading through the class comment thread for last ReaperCon. I saw more than one comment there about a paucity of advanced classes, and I've seen similar comments in past years, so I figured it was a topic worth delving into.

I can and have suggested panels to Reaper, but I can't make it happen. I definitely have no influence on how the streaming is conducted. I mention because I don't have any reason to believe that any of the Reaper people who are in charge of scheduling and streaming and whatnot will read this thread, so those topics are probably better raised as new threads or addressed to Reaper peeps directly rather than being discussed in much detail in this thread.

• Like 7