DDRPG Questions?

• Reaper User

I realize the player primer beta is very light. It's not intended to get you playing and running DDRPG. That comes later. We are working on a more significant something something for ya'll by ReaperCon 2022.

More details as we get closer.

In the meantime anybody have any questions while you have the developer's ear?

We're eager to hear from you. DDRPG is for all of us. It the edition I love running and we hope ya'll fall head over heels for it as well.

So make with the comments and questions I'm all ears.

• Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

I have a couple about languages. This assumes, naturally, that the character in question has an INT that gives bonus languages, and that they are non-human. Do folk with bonus langs automatically converse in those, or are extra languages learned pulled from the bonus ones first?
And do these include both verbal and written forms, if a written version exists for each?

Edited by Durham
  • Like 1

Another question - about spells, this time. Are cantrips and orsons just usable at will? As in, no time to renew/relearn them?

For example, my 3rd level mage used her Flaming Sphere, but she knows Acid Splash and Firebolt. Can she now just cast either repeatedly ad infinitum?

Alternatively, could she use one, then the other, alternatively, again ad infinitum?

Alternatively again, my party uses their last torch, and has no oil or lamp. They are in a cavern with no other light source. Can my cleric, cast Daylight on an expended torch hour after hour until a different light source can be obtained?

• Like 1

I have yet to read all of the PDF. I am mostly a GURPS GM and have recently picked up 5E, but have run an old Retro Clone, Labyrinth Lord. DDRPG has caught my attention, So I intend to read more of it, but it might be a while as I have do have two PbP of GURPS Traveller running and at some point, I want to run Dragon Heist in 5e. Having said that, I am very curious about DDRPG and look forward to more. I mean, I do love the stuff you have done to date and have listened in a bit on a couple of your games at Reaper Con. 

• Like 1

• Reaper User
18 hours ago, Durham said:

I have a couple about languages. This assumes, naturally, that the character in question has an INT that gives bonus languages, and that they are non-human. Do folk with bonus langs automatically converse in those, or are extra languages learned pulled from the bonus ones first?
And do these include both verbal and written forms, if a written version exists for each?

Ooh! Linguistic questions!!!

Each folk starts with their native tongue and one other tongue selected from those listed under folk. Humans know a human tongue and one other, either another human tongue or a non-human one. Humans are the most versatile 'cuz they're found all over. As for non-humans, they get their native tongue and a human tongue. If you have Int 8+ you also are literate with your languages.

If you have bonus languages you select from the list under folk although if a player really wanted to know dark elf or giant I'd probably bend the rules to accommodate.

Languages are easily picked up and good thing too 'cuz without language communication hits a wall.

18 hours ago, Durham said:

Another question - about spells, this time. Are cantrips and orsons just usable at will? As in, no time to renew/relearn them?

For example, my 3rd level mage used her Flaming Sphere, but she knows Acid Splash and Firebolt. Can she now just cast either repeatedly ad infinitum?

Alternatively, could she use one, then the other, alternatively, again ad infinitum?

Alternatively again, my party uses their last torch, and has no oil or lamp. They are in a cavern with no other light source. Can my cleric, cast Daylight on an expended torch hour after hour until a different light source can be obtained?

Yes, cantrips and their divine equivalents - orisons are usable at will. You don't expend or unlearn them although I allow PCs to swap them out between adventures under certain circumstances.

16 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I have yet to read all of the PDF. I am mostly a GURPS GM and have recently picked up 5E, but have run an old Retro Clone, Labyrinth Lord. DDRPG has caught my attention, So I intend to read more of it, but it might be a while as I have do have two PbP of GURPS Traveller running and at some point, I want to run Dragon Heist in 5e. Having said that, I am very curious about DDRPG and look forward to more. I mean, I do love the stuff you have done to date and have listened in a bit on a couple of your games at Reaper Con. 

GURPS 4e is great! Welcome!!!

Very kind words. We're very excited to be giving you bigger and bigger bites of DDRPG as we sprint to the Spring 2023 release date.

It's gonna be a wild ride and we're so happy to have you along! Hold on tight, it's gonna be a rollercoaster!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This isn't a rules question, but a future content question. I have a ridiculous soft spot for henchmen and hirelings - which grew even softer with the release of the Henchmen and Hirelings minis. 

Any chance there will be henchmen and hireling rules/advice in DDRPG?

Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

• Reaper User
20 hours ago, AngryCoffeeMan said:

This isn't a rules question, but a future content question. I have a ridiculous soft spot for henchmen and hirelings - which grew even softer with the release of the Henchmen and Hirelings minis. 

Any chance there will be henchmen and hireling rules/advice in DDRPG?

Thanks for your time!

You betcha buddy! I do too.

Hirelings are simple named NPC allies who fulfill a specific purpose: shieldbearer, scout, torchbearer, camp follower, tailor, valet, etc. They follow a simple format for their ability scores, proficiencies, defense, etc. Most only have a single hit die, usually a d4 or a d6. They have another trait: Loyalty which fluctuates based upon how they are treated and how the adventures go. Over time it's possible hirelings can graduate into henchmen.

Henchmen are evolved hirelings. They have names and a wider range of ability scores, proficiencies, and gear. Like Hirelings they'll have Loyalty. Henchmen can gain levels.

In time Henchmen can evolve into Companions, permanent additions to the retinue representing boon companions, buddies, and sidekicks. Companions can even be groomed as proteges and can be activated as a PC if the "owner" is somehow killed or otherwise incapacitated.

Still very much a WIP but my high school homeboy playtest group is planning to rope in some hirelings and possibly a henchman or two before their next expedition into the Westbarrow Hills as they hunt down the Horror on Howling Heath.

• Like 3

Just wanted to start by saying this is a fantastic beta you have here. It's very clear a lot of care went into capturing the feel of the 80's fantasy RPG feel, but without any of the baggage that held it back at times.

It's very smooth and easy to read, and you've done a great job of making this playable with just about any era of D&D module with minimum effort. It looks like 5e monsters might need slight updates to their rules to fit in effectively, but overal very minimum conversion. Likewise, with some minor work, 2e monsters could probably be shoehorned in.

Seriously great work! I could see myself trying to convince my group making the shift.

Ah, I do have one question.

Will there be proficiencies added to backgrounds in the future? At present it seems to primarily just be for lore and fluff without mechanical benefits.

Is there plans to expand on Culture, Upbrining and Trade? Or is it intended to be there to be set as recorded, and potentially give leverage in roleplay situations?

I could see it going either way. Looking for clarity. Thanks!

I see on table 2-1 that a stat of 0 has a -5 modifier.  Normally a stat of 0 (zero) indicated unconsciousness, paralyzation or death, depending.   What's the case here for a stat of zero?

• Reaper User
On 6/6/2022 at 8:17 PM, Chris_BCG said:

Ah, I do have one question.

Will there be proficiencies added to backgrounds in the future? At present it seems to primarily just be for lore and fluff without mechanical benefits.

Is there plans to expand on Culture, Upbrining and Trade? Or is it intended to be there to be set as recorded, and potentially give leverage in roleplay situations?

I could see it going either way. Looking for clarity. Thanks!

What is proficient and non-proficient in terms of overcoming challenges is negotiated at the table. Some tasks are assumed based upon class, folk, and background. A character with a rural upbringing and farmsteader trade trying to calm scared livestock or drive a cart would be proficient but an elvin wizard with an urban background and papermaker trade would definitely be non-proficient. Rogues picking a lock or looking for traps? Proficient. Fighter intimidating or using strength to push aside a boulder? Proficient.

A "skill list" won't be in the core rules. Earlier editions of D&D didn't have skill lists for over a decade across numerous editions. Skill lists are exclusionary and force players to make hard decisions. We don't do that with DDRPG and we won't be devoting lots of space to creating detailed systems per D&D 3.x/Pathfinder.

Backgrounds will be somewhat expanded for the sake of adjudicating the sorts of tasks considered proficient vs. non-proficient. Again, it's on the GM and players to come to agreement over a PC's qualifications. Unlike in D&D 3.x - 5e, the skill system is innocuous and runs behind the scenes and best of all, even if you're non-proficient, you still get a bonus of +1/4 levels (drop the fraction).

Make sense?

7 hours ago, Corum said:

I see on table 2-1 that a stat of 0 has a -5 modifier.  Normally a stat of 0 (zero) indicated unconsciousness, paralyzation or death, depending.   What's the case here for a stat of zero?

I dislike saying 'no' so it's more for temporary instances of scores going to 0. This may be a NA by the time we ship next Spring. 🙂

Con of 0 is death, Str is immobility as is Dex, as for Int, Wis, and Cha the body is an empty shell which could, I suppose, stumble mindlessly and insensate about.

• Like 1

I'm considering running a megadungeon once a month for my large group of players, starting in late fall/early winter. People will be able to drop in and play a session, skip a few and come back, so it's not very formal. We're all busy adults. Initially, I came to the Reaper website looking for minis to start painting for this game and encountered the DDRPG rules primer. My player-pool is a mix of OSR & 5e players so this looks like a reasonable middle ground. Stat assignment and classic four Folk, four Classes should make for easy character creation. Paces are a proper wonky measurement to give the GM the power to make rulings, etc. Now I really want to dig in to it.

1. Is there a beta list I can be on?

2. When going up in level do players roll hit dice or add maximum points? I've had good experience having players roll for hit points but only letting them keep the new total if it is greater than the previous total.

3. Critical hits?

4. Critical fumbles?

5. Resource management? Torches, rations, and time need a mention. They will always argue that with me because its a delve.

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks for what you've done so far.

~Peaches

• Like 1

• Reaper User
12 hours ago, Peaches said:

I'm considering running a megadungeon once a month for my large group of players, starting in late fall/early winter. People will be able to drop in and play a session, skip a few and come back, so it's not very formal. We're all busy adults. Initially, I came to the Reaper website looking for minis to start painting for this game and encountered the DDRPG rules primer. My player-pool is a mix of OSR & 5e players so this looks like a reasonable middle ground. Stat assignment and classic four Folk, four Classes should make for easy character creation. Paces are a proper wonky measurement to give the GM the power to make rulings, etc. Now I really want to dig in to it.

1. Is there a beta list I can be on?

2. When going up in level do players roll hit dice or add maximum points? I've had good experience having players roll for hit points but only letting them keep the new total if it is greater than the previous total.

3. Critical hits?

4. Critical fumbles?

5. Resource management? Torches, rations, and time need a mention. They will always argue that with me because its a delve.

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks for what you've done so far.

~Peaches

Heya!

Sorry I've been away, working on an update to our Beta rules and also the Barrowgate guide.

There is a DDRPG Discord server.

I've read OSR retroclones allowing per level rerolling of HP per question 2. Nothing preventing you from doing this if you want your PCs to become MUCH tougher between levels.

There are critical hits, in fact it's big time on my mind. For now it's +1 die if you confirm the crit with a second successful attack roll after the initial natural 20.

Critical fumbles occur with 1 after rolling a confirmation roll resulting in a miss.

GM's are free to ignore consumption of provisions but it's assumed expeditions are perilous and require provision tracking. Run out of torches on level 3 of the dungeon and you are in a world of hurt unless every PC has Darkvision. Note, only dwarves have Darkvision elves have Low Light Vision.

Have fun and stay tuned. Something big is dropping in time for ReaperCon 2022.