04063: Cairn Wraith

I've done very little painting over the last couple of years. Just two or three figures since January 2020, I think. But the other night I felt the urge, so I picked up this guy.

Cairn Wraith, front view.

Cairn Wraith, back view.

I painted him entirely in grey scale using white, black, and three intermediate shades of grey. Then I glazed pthalo green over him, brightened it at a couple spots with a mixture of pthalocyanine green and Primary Yellow (from Golden), and ran a line of pure white up the center of the sword blade.

In general, I'm pretty happy with him. But something about the sword blade bugs me. It just doesn't look quite right, and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on what exactly.

• Like 10

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They definitely are, yes. I think I was trying for light emanating from the deepest part of the metal, making the core of it "hottest" and thus brightest. But it's just not working very well.

I'll have a go at doing it the other way around -- darker in the middle, brighter at the edges -- and see if that looks better.

• Like 1

My two cents.  First off, it looks great as is.  If I were to tweak it, here’s what I think… The cross guard on the sword needs brighter highlights.  The hand is closer then the head, so I would make that area brightest.  The hand and head should be almost as bright as the sword.

Posted (edited)

Well, I fiddled with the sword a bit, and made an attempt at brightening up the hand and upper arm.

I'm still not entirely happy with the sword, but it's okay and the rest of it is pretty good. So I'm going to declare it done, post a show-off thread and be done with it.

Edit: and the show-off thread is up.

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 2:43 AM, sentinel said:

About the sword.  To me, the edges are darker than the middle, and it just doesn't sit right with me.  Is that what could be bugging you?

Yes. I would just feather a line of neon green along the outer edge of the blade to make it look like a blade. As it stands, it looks like a lightsaber.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, Darcstaar said:

My two cents.  First off, it looks great as is.  If I were to tweak it, here’s what I think… The cross guard on the sword needs brighter highlights.  The hand is closer then the head, so I would make that area brightest.  The hand and head should be almost as bright as the sword.

Agreed, the cross guard is metal and should have a glint, at least along the edge reflecting the color back from the blade. You could or could not do the hand as well, and it’d be fine if you’re just wanting to be done with it. 

• Like 1