How to find an old boardgame?

Every so often I get nostalgic for some of the things I had as a kid. Most of the time I'm able to find things on my own. Not really interested in buying most of them again. Just kind of fun to read about them or look at the pics. Anyhow I just thought of a boardgame that I had when I was very young. Probably belonged to my older brother but he never really liked playing games. I don't know what the name of it was which makes it tricky to search for. It was a cowboy game and the board had trails made of horseshoes for the spaces and every so often a circle that was some sort of special place. IIRC most players were bandits trying to escape and 1 was the marshall trying to catch them. pieces were cowboys on a horse. Would most likely have been made in the 70s or earlier. Sound familiar to anyone? Closest I've found was Bandit Trail with Gene Autry buy the board isn't what I remember. Also don't remember anything about Gene Autry in it either.

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Zink said:

Every so often I get nostalgic for some of the things I had as a kid. Most of the time I'm able to find things on my own. Not really interested in buying most of them again. Just kind of fun to read about them or look at the pics. Anyhow I just thought of a boardgame that I had when I was very young. Probably belonged to my older brother but he never really liked playing games. I don't know what the name of it was which makes it tricky to search for. It was a cowboy game and the board had trails made of horseshoes for the spaces and every so often a circle that was some sort of special place. IIRC most players were bandits trying to escape and 1 was the marshall trying to catch them. pieces were cowboys on a horse. Would most likely have been made in the 70s or earlier. Sound familiar to anyone? Closest I've found was Bandit Trail with Gene Autry buy the board isn't what I remember. Also don't remember anything about Gene Autry in it either.

Had a little time so you got me curious. BoardGameGeek does have a search feature that brought up a lot, but nothing with distinct horseshoes on a board. Tried bandit, thief, cowboy, marshal, and sheriff. The closest I found was "Sheriff of Dodge City" from 1966:

A simple game in which players must spin a spinner to determine movement. If a player reaches a space with an outlaw token they spin the spinner again to see whether they "hit" and capture the outlaw (picking up the token) or miss and have to move again. The first player to capture at least three outlaws and get back to Dodge City wins.

But that doesn't have the horseshoes and each player is a sheriff. Just searching "horseshoes" won't work either.

• Like 4

Yeah, I did something similar to the same result.  I also did a Google search for Milton Bradley Cowboy Board Games, since they put out a ton of games in that era.  Nothing really fit the bill that I saw.  

You MAY want to try the Board Game Geek Facebook page, but that way lies madness.

There was a contributor to the Dice Tower videos who did classic, 1970's games.  However his name escapes me at the moment and I haven't watched those videos in ages so I'm not sure if he still does that.  And he's not on their website for contact information so...I'm stumped.  😞 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I don't think I imagined it all but no luck finding anything similar. There's a very small chance it's packed away on the farm but I doubt it. Only a handful of things from that long ago left.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keianna said:

I may have found it. Search 'Good Guys n Bad Guys' by Cadaco.

I did not immediately find a noncommercial link. 

Wow! You did it! :bday: That is definitely the game. Time to go read up on it. I played this about 40 years ago so barely remembered anything.

• Like 4