Building up with broccoli bases

I’m sure this one has been seen before, but the search page isn’t returning the answer very easily. 

I’m wondering what substance folks like for building up the ground on a base if they opt to retain the broccoli base when gluing a Reaper figure to a plastic base. Sometimes one just wants a more solid bond, other times the feet or other details are just too likely to get sliced if one trims the base down to just the connecting points. 

In particular, I’m looking for thoughts on alternatives to green stuff that would be easier to use in building up some ground around the broccoli base before ultimately adding grit and other texture to the lot. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you find difficult about green stuff?  You can use any other hobby putty in its place, for filler.  Try modeling paste, 2-part epoxy, air-drying clay, Bondo, spackle, any number of similar products. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

What do you find difficult about green stuff?  You can use any other hobby putty in its place, for filler.  Try modeling paste, 2-part epoxy, air-drying clay, Bondo, spackle, any number of similar products. 

If I’m going to be basing 100 minis, that’s an awful lot of kneading. Maybe good for my handshake, but I’d like something that applies quicker. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You could do any of the following: 

1. Spackle with sand and white glue mix.

2.  Texture paste 

3.  Pumice texture from Golden or Vallejo. 

Those are my go to options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Multiple layers of superglue (liquid) and baking soda builds up fast, and will give you a very solid, plastic-like mass. As a bonus, if the baking soda hasn't been protected from the damp, it will be all crumbly too, which helps to create texture.

Note: lay down the superglue puddle first, then drop the baking soda into it, or else lay down the soda and then drop superglue into it. Don't try mixing the two together, as the soda catalyzes the superglue instantly.

Edited by MojoBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been 3d printing bases with the center recessed for a while now. I glue the base into the recess then fill in any gaps with filler. Golden Coarse Pumice Gel is my latest go-to for that. The edge of the base also makes it look neater, as I struggle to keep things even when building up around an integral base.

Once the base is filled in it can be covered with sand, etc I find this makes it look like they're on a standard base without the hassle of removing integral bases, with all the problems you note.

It will depend on the depth of the base. However, as it's going to be covered, hacking away chunks of cauliflower to make it fit is fine. There is a variety of integral base depths, so I sometimes have to shim them with a circle or two of plasticard to make their feet ground level.

• Thanks 1

Woodfiller is also a good option. It use it or spackle. Sometimes spackle doesn't cooperate (it might stick to your tool instead of going on), but the woodfiller is a bit heavier and tends to stay in place for me. You can use an old, damp brush to smooth both if you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tend to stay away from air-drying modelling pastes, because they tend to shrink. Not too much, but enough to annoy me. 

My go to would be milliput (standard yellow/grey variant), it's way easier to knead than green stuff. Also, its much easier to smoothen with a drop of water and it's even somewhat sandable when dry. For additional texture I finish with a very thin coat of vallejo earth texture paste:

IMG_8738.jpg.aae1278d9beac8df66883c37faf03894.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:47 AM, zemjw said:

I glue the base into the recess then fill in any gaps with filler.

This is a very interesting idea!  I haven't thought about this before.  It should work for the Reaper round bases, too.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:09 AM, Samedi said:

My go to would be milliput

I was going to suggest this as well.  I don't have much experience with it, but the 2 times that I did use it, it seemed like it stock to other surfaces pretty good.  Should be strong for bonding 2 surfaces together.

Modelling paste. It's basically weak spackle/filler. It doesn't smell, dries fairly quickly.

Goldens are the American brand I think Windsor and Newton Galleria is a good UK brand. 

• Thanks 1

I've used the patching plaster stuff from dollar tree with a wet brush. Then I work in any larger things I want embedded into the base and work the stuff into it to blend it in...normally, I've done that with stones for rocks on the base. Then I let it mostly dry and add sand with some superglue over it to soak in and harden it.

That's how I've been doing my Anhurians

• Thanks 1