Treasure Dragon from Bones V

Recently started painting again after about a 18 month break due to just too much on my plate. Finished this guy up a few weeks ago. Tried to pick out as much unique treasure as I could. Really fun mini to paint. Not sure if the head fins work or if I should have gone with horns.

Would love some critique on what I could do better...all opinions welcome 🙂

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

• Like 19

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

The leathery look to the wings is really nice, they have a wonderful organic quality.  You might consider pushing up one or two lighter highlight levels on the very edges of the most exposed (to the sky) scales.  If it’s too much, you can always glaze back over to mute it down.  The volume and detail you’ve already captured on them is really nice - you can feel the underlying muscles.  Also, you nailed the base!

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Count Urlik said:

The leathery look to the wings is really nice, they have a wonderful organic quality.  You might consider pushing up one or two lighter highlight levels on the very edges of the most exposed (to the sky) scales.  If it’s too much, you can always glaze back over to mute it down.  The volume and detail you’ve already captured on them is really nice - you can feel the underlying muscles.  Also, you nailed the base!

Thank you for the feedback!

I agree w the highlights. However, every time I go w more highlighting I always don't like the way it looks and re-do it to tone it down. Its a hurdle I need to get over 

• Like 2

I like the little pops of purple on the back of the head, as well as the way you carried it through to the underside of the wings. That kind of color planning really creates a lot of nice cohesion. Great work picking out all the treasure as well.

I would agree with Count Urlick's suggestion about highlighting. But, I hear you...it's always a balancing act. If you're concerned about the highlights getting too light after adding oranges/yellows, you may want to consider mixing your red with a metallic gold and using that as a highlight instead on the scale tips. You may end up with kind of a cool effect after playing around with it.

Really cool piece, though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grand Slam said:

I like the little pops of purple on the back of the head, as well as the way you carried it through to the underside of the wings. That kind of color planning really creates a lot of nice cohesion. Great work picking out all the treasure as well.

I would agree with Count Urlick's suggestion about highlighting. But, I hear you...it's always a balancing act. If you're concerned about the highlights getting too light after adding oranges/yellows, you may want to consider mixing your red with a metallic gold and using that as a highlight instead on the scale tips. You may end up with kind of a cool effect after playing around with it.

Really cool piece, though.

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion of using gold, never thought of doing that w metallics. 

• Like 2