Sparrow paints a Bust (Dziewanna)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/27/2022 at 11:04 PM, haldir said:

Pinning is one of those things that if you've never done, it feels like you can't do it. Once you do it, you'll tell yourself, why haven't I been doing this?? With resin it can be a bit scarier then say a metal mini, as your not sure if the material will crack or split, but with a dedicated & right size drill bit, you should have no problem. I will say, pin vise matters. Get one that feels comfortable in your hand, just don't get the first one you see. I went years with the wrong one & I hated pinning. I've picked up a couple the last few years (one I thought I lost so I got a similar one) & they've made a difference.

Also, take some sprue cutters & cut near the rectangle of the resin, Then once you have 3 parts, take the bow halves & start to nibble away at the exess resin. Once your close then start to sand away with sanding foam boards (not needle files). (Wear a mask, you don't want to breathe in resin dust!!).

Good luck & she is a beauty!

And you really need one that's for the material you're working with.

I started with one that was sold at a few of the larger craft stores in their doll house area...it was great for wood and plastic along with a lot of basing materials, but a pain to get working with some resins and pretty much all metals.

I still use it for some things, but it's not something for a lot of work...though I'd gotten it for $3 and I've seen the same thing under a few names recently for either $5 or $6...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SotF said:

And you really need one that's for the material you're working with.

I started with one that was sold at a few of the larger craft stores in their doll house area...it was great for wood and plastic along with a lot of basing materials, but a pain to get working with some resins and pretty much all metals.

I still use it for some things, but it's not something for a lot of work...though I'd gotten it for $3 and I've seen the same thing under a few names recently for either $5 or $6...

Any brands you could recommend? I definitely don't want to screw this up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One more thing!

Resin: When Sanding it/Drilling it etc...wear a mask!

You don't want to get resin dust into your lungs.

Not a healthy thing.

Oh...and looks good so far!

Nice choice of colours!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

One more thing!

Resin: When Sanding it/Drilling it etc...wear a mask!

You don't want to get resin dust into your lungs.

Not a healthy thing.

Oh...and looks good so far!

Nice choice of colours!

Oh, definitely will do that, is there a specific type of mask I should look for? And thanks!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Oh, definitely will do that, is there a specific type of mask I should look for? And thanks!

A dust mask is fine for sanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/5/2022 at 11:06 PM, SparrowMarie said:

Any brands you could recommend? I definitely don't want to screw this up.

One that I'm trying out now is a powered one that Walmart had in their crafting area, though it's listed as an "engraving tool", works really well there. It was $19.99 at the local one, though I assume it's a cheaper brand that they're going with, don't have the packaging anymore and it's not labeled on it.

One suggestion for a manual one is to look at the hardware store, they tend to have several and you can compare them against your hand. A lot of specifics with them are about how comfortable they are in your hand, and those tend to work the best for their price. You can make some adjustments by adding things to them to make them more comfortable...the manual one I've used has some of the wider foam tape added to it for padding, though that wouldn't work with the smaller one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A pin vice is definitely a personal choice thing. I for one, like having something on the end that you hold in your palm. There is a double ended one that I tried long time ago & I did not like that one at all. I'm sure it was one that made me hate pinning. Currently I'm using the one from Army Painter. It has a hollow handle that holds the collets & has a flat spinner end. I did at one time had the ball ended one from GF9 & I loved that one. I really wish I hadn't lost that one somewhere.....

Take a look at widget supply. They are over on your side & they have a ton of small tools & such. Just use "pin" as a search term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, haldir said:

A pin vice is definitely a personal choice thing. I for one, like having something on the end that you hold in your palm. There is a double ended one that I tried long time ago & I did not like that one at all. I'm sure it was one that made me hate pinning. Currently I'm using the one from Army Painter. It has a hollow handle that holds the collets & has a flat spinner end. I did at one time had the ball ended one from GF9 & I loved that one. I really wish I hadn't lost that one somewhere.....

Take a look at widget supply. They are over on your side & they have a ton of small tools & such. Just use "pin" as a search term.

I may actually have that Army Painter one. I will give the widget supply place a look though.

• Like 3

Haven't painted since the last picture I posted. I've been incredibly busy trying to get the house rearranged so our new dishwasher can be delivered/installed today. I will resume painting tonight if I can figure out what I want to do with the metallics.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Haven't painted since the last picture I posted. I've been incredibly busy trying to get the house rearranged so our new dishwasher can be delivered/installed today. I will resume painting tonight if I can figure out what I want to do with the metallics.

You want to use Scale 75 Metallics, great coverage!!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

You want to use Scale 75 Metallics, great coverage!!!

Good idea! I have a few around here somewhere. Not sure if they are ones I want color wise but I will look. I also have some Pro Acryl metallics that I want to try out. We shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good luck!

Take your time, a big model like a Bust deserves it.

Definitely going to take my time. I'm just base coating/blocking in now. She will get the time she deserves. Probably going to spend a lot of time on the skin after base coating.

• Like 2