JUNE: Getting to know you more!!

4 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

Have you used a airbrush before? Own? What kind? Any tips?

Yup! I've owned 5 of them (Badger Vex, Sotar/ Paasche Millennium (started in 99-00 with this one)/ Harbor Freight dual action (was only used for clear coats)/red no name (will be used for clear coats - replacing the HF one)/Testor's Aztek (like the car of the same name this one was hideous & didn't feel like a airbrush, why I picked up the Paasche & sold it off using UseNet message boards (remember those!). I'm in the process of getting ready to use the Vex here soon, so hopefully this one lives up to the hype I've watched & read. 

Couple tips: With airbrushing you don't need to totally mask off the item your trying to paint. Airbrushes produce a more controlled spray vs a can. If you have multiple airbrushes, don't use multiple hoses & a multi-manifold, just get one brand of hose & then get quick-release ends for your airbrushes.

• Like 8

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

Once or twice but it was a cake decorating airbrush at school. So not a lot of experience with that. Have never used one for painting.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

Yes. I have a generic one I got from a hobby store to practice with. I was using it to basecoat larger items and even a bit of highlighting. Then the pandemic hit and the nicely lit, well ventilated corner of the house where I had it set up got turned into my home office and I haven't found a place to set it back up since. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

I have not. Though if I ever do, my FLGS is very well stocked in Iwata gear.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

I have 3...

A siphon feed $20 Badger that I use only for body paint for the Drow costume

A Grex Genesis XS .3mm

an Iwata HP-SB with a .2 mm nozzle

The last 2 are gravity side fed, dual action

These are used for the full gamut of jobs, but mainly base coating with the Grex as it has a bigger nozzle and feed cup.

The Iwata is for more detail work, such as painting camouflage on 15mm armored vehicles

Tips- Clean it, clean it, clean it! Nothing will mess up your brush faster than old paint... It isn't that hard to clean them after use, by now (I've been using the Grex since 2010) it takes less than 5 minutes to clean the brush. Every once in a while I'll spend more time and do a deep cleaning...

No different than what you do with your kolinski sable brush, just different methods...

Practice!

You didn't get to your current skill level with a brush without practice, why should an airbrush be any different?

They are a tool, like any other tool, they have their uses. Fades for instance...

I did Marbrezuk and did fades on his claws using the Grex...

If anyone has the desire, pm me and I will be more than willing to help if I can

I can also demonstrate things on the Hangout if you wish....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

No. At this stage in my painting life, it would only add another complexion to my old fashion approach to painting.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

What's your favorite kind of sandwich?

I have 2 favorites...hot and cold!

Actually a good corned beef on dark rye with Muenster Cheese.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

No, I've been interested in getting one for years but space, and lack of experience with them means I never buy one.

12 minutes ago, haldir said:

June 17th QotD:

What's your favorite kind of sandwich?

My too most common sammiches are PB&J or ham and cheese with mayo and BBQ sauce.

• Like 9