JUNE: Getting to know you more!!

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, haldir said:

June 1st Question of the Day:

So currently in my Weds night FLGS D&D game, I'm using yuan-ti of various types. A popular D&D creature but one I've never really used before in all the years of D&D gaming. Is there one creature, you've never used before while DM/GMing a game. If not a gamer, how about a miniature type, one you've never painted before say goblins or dragons, etc etc.

Last campaign I GMed was the Asian flavored Pathfinder adventure path, so I used some uncommon monsters like onis, kamis, kenkus, and even a kappa, with some ninja/samurai combos.

I've probably used most of the classic D&D or mythological monsters. Though I'm struggling to remember if I've used fey/sylvan creatures or not (fairies, nymphs, centaur, satyr, etc.).

My fairy princess ballerina infantry minis from Thunderbolt Mountain Minis will get some interesting reactions.

TMM-4202_Group_text_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1

No one expects fairies to be packing submachine wands firing high velocity armor piercing glitter.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for today as I've been doing Facebook security management, plus waiting on my mom as we are gonna do a early lunch & a little bit of shopping around town this morning soon. :angry:

June 2nd Question of the Day:

Ever had to do security management due to a broccoli person wanting to mess with your personal life?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

23 hours ago, haldir said:

June 1st Question of the Day:

So currently in my Weds night FLGS D&D game, I'm using yuan-ti of various types. A popular D&D creature but one I've never really used before in all the years of D&D gaming. Is there one creature, you've never used before while DM/GMing a game. If not a gamer, how about a miniature type, one you've never painted before say goblins or dragons, etc etc.

Aboleth.

1 minute ago, haldir said:

Quick question for today as I've been doing Facebook security management, plus waiting on my mom as we are gonna do a early lunch & a little bit of shopping around town this morning soon. :angry:

Ever had to do security management due to a broccoli person wanting to mess with your personal life?

Luckily, no.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, haldir said:

Ever had to do security management …

Lowly worker bees don’t get tasked with that sorta thing, we just get told to make our passwords longer??

15 minutes ago, haldir said:

…due to a broccoli person wanting to mess with your personal life?

:huh:
I have had my personal vehicle burgled twice in my lifetime, does that count?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, haldir said:

Yes. It takes the form of not signing up for any social media that requires you to be discoverable by the name on your driver's license. 

Persistent pseudonymous is the only reasonable way to run a website.  

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, haldir said:

Myself, not so much. But I've had to help my mother several times for falling prey to online scammers. Like "your computer is compromised, click/call here", "you have a package with fees, contact us", "you won an iPad, enter your credit card to claim". Luckily, little actual damage, but she did have to changre credit cards last fall once we discovered that small innocent looking amount of a definitely not approved purchase.

A bit like @Werkrobotwerk, I realized that pseudonyms are a great way of identifying spam. When an email calls me "Mr. Cranky" instead of my real name, it's a good sign that it's not legit. Also, being in bilingual Canada, nearly all big businesses send official emails in both English and French, or a single language with a link for the other language. And lets not even begin with those with spelling mistakes, either by purpose, ignorance or pure laziness.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've had my debit card shut down by my bank without notice numerous times in the past due to suspicious activity, which was awkward because I was trying to buy lunch or groceries every time my card wouldn't work. People have tried to use my credit card, but my credit card has been really good at notifying me to see if I just charged $300 in a Chinese province (and no, I didn't).

Been part of a few data breaches where my SSN was stolen, and got free identity theft protection for a few years from the state.

And just yesterday someone seems to have stolen my resume and applied for a receptionist job at some type of care facility that is posted on Indeed. I don't have an account with Indeed, which is required to send any sort of "contact us" message, and no phone number contact available either. Got one email from Indeed, and another from a recruiter saying my application was accepted. Hopefully just a scam though, since the email address from indeed is lacking a period from my actual email address. Though the job is actually posted on the jobsite.

My identity theft protection from my previous job just expired, and the perk isn't available at my new job until October.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Myself, not so much. But I've had to help my mother several times for falling prey to online scammers. Like "your computer is compromised, click/call here", "you have a package with fees, contact us", "you won an iPad, enter your credit card to claim". Luckily, little actual damage, but she did have to changre credit cards last fall once we discovered that small innocent looking amount of a definitely not approved purchase.

A bit like @Werkrobotwerk, I realized that pseudonyms are a great way of identifying spam. When an email calls me "Mr. Cranky" instead of my real name, it's a good sign that it's not legit. Also, being in bilingual Canada, nearly all big businesses send official emails in both English and French, or a single language with a link for the other language. And lets not even begin with those with spelling mistakes, either by purpose, ignorance or pure laziness.

That's also good, but I meant more along the lines of, it keeps bosses, landlords, "repentant" highschool bullies, class mates I don't want to see again, angry exes, and stalkers from easily getting every detail of my life. Because it's none of their business, and are all likely to be looking for it. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Luckily, not really.

I've had CC fraud detected a couple of times (the fools tried to charge a vacation hotel stay on my CC the day after Christmas....at the time you'd have been lucky to buy a good lunch on my card that close to Christmas......).

I regularly deal with other people with my name not being able to provide the right email address, so I end up with their emails.  Curse of being the original person with my name signed up to gmail way back when it was in beta.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:

No, but I have had some credit cards hacked.  No loss of money. Just hassle

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Nope.

Had my credit card details stolen a few times, luckily my bank is surprisingly quick at catching stuff like that.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Yep. As a civil servant in a time of extremism, security management is always on my mind. Unfortunately my real name, job description and home address are all part of the public record and some folks with agendas have exploited that information to harass folks in the past. Both online and in person. Not much I can do to stop some nut job from showing up at my front door. But I can, and do, severely limit the amount of personal information that is available about me online. That means almost no social media presence and the social accounts I do have are not in my real name or are blocked from the general public. Even if you know all of my publicly available info, I doubt you could find a picture of me. 

My wife and I have also had an issue with a stalker several years ago. That never got to the point where we felt unsafe. But it was intrusive enough that we had to change some of our habits and quit associating with several volunteer groups to get away from it. That was seriously weird.

There's lots of disturbed people out there. You have to constantly be aware of your own security to be safe these days.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Sort of...due to my job/position I make sure not to post a pic of me online. And...I stay clear of social media because I don't want some people to be able to find me anymore. It's a personal thing...

• Like 9

Yup, due to my job before I retired.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Had some CC issues but don't think it was personally targeted.  Online I have been pretty good about not using real names, addresses, photos, etc. and I have different user names in various forums/social media. 

• Like 8