JUNE: Getting to know you more!!

haldir

June 6th Question of the Day:

1944, Normandy, France. If you don't know what day this in history,  please look it up. 

Did you have family involved in this day in 1944?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

1944, Normandy, France. If you dint know what day this in history,  please look it up. 

The Longest Day. No family involved on this.  My former Pastor was one of the paratroopers who went in first.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

1944, Normandy, France. If you dint know what day this in history,  please look it up. 

One of my dad's cousins was a tank commander with the Sherbrooke Fusiliers on Juno Beach. One of the regiments that recruited heavily locally, The Regina Rifles was in the first wave as well but not sure if anyone related was with them then. A few people I knew, including one of my mom's uncles and several neighbours, were definitely involved in later fighting in Normandy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, haldir said:

1944, Normandy, France. If you don't know what day this in history,  please look it up. 

Not directly. 

I had an Uncle in the 5th Army doing his bit to distract a few German Divisions in Italy. My Uncle was attached to an artillery unit. Today 78 years ago, they would have been somewhere in the vicinity of Rome (which was taken on June 4th 1944). 

My dad wasn’t of age to serve at that point (he was later drafted for the Korean War).

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, haldir said:

No, grandpa arrived in France a week or two later. 

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, haldir said:

Not directly involved in that operation, but my grandfather served for several years in France during that war. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

The only active duty relative I had that served in France was in the early 50s.

As a French speaking Canadian, he said he never had to pay for a single one of his drinks in gratitude.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

More than likely did, but most family from that time didn't talk about it while they were alive, and those that might know won't say a thing about the various conflict zones they've been in.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, haldir said:

No, the only family member I had that was the right age to participate in that was also blind. Not necessarily the kind of guy you give a rifle to. 

There may have been some distant cousins or something that participated, but if so I'm unaware of it. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, haldir said:

I've known several World War II veterans, but I'm not sure if they were directly involved in Normandy or not.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Not that I know of, my grandfather from Mother's side didn't want to talk much about the War, I know he escaped to the UK and he served, one time ( I was a kid) I kept asking so much that he snapped a bit, he told me he was equipped with a flamethrower during his service and that I should shut up now..

I have no idea where he fought and when exactly, he passed away decades ago.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Yes.  My grandfather was an acting chief.  His LST beached unloading whatever equipment they were transporting and ended having to wait for low tide so bulldozers could come in and move away some sand (he had a picture of the bulldozer by the ship).  He was also at Anzio, where he had a picture of a building that got taken out by a dive bomber trying to hit his ship as well as a giant hole from a mine.  I can't remember if it was Clinton or Bush 2, but one of them sent out letters to WWII veterans with a star for each major battle they had participated in.  He had 4 stars, but always claimed it should have been 5.  It's been so long ago now that I don't remember all of the places he was at and which he said they missed.

Apparently his ship was one of those used as a meeting place for allied commanders. He remembered smoking with one of de Gaulle's aides on several occasions while the big wigs made plans behind closed doors.

• Like 7

To answer my own question (first since, I've kinda answered my own questions in the question, so far this month):

None that I know of, thou I will admit, the dad's side of the family is kinda of murky to me & I'll just keep it that way. I know none of my maternal uncles or aunts, nor my maternal grandparents served. I'm not sure on anything beyond them.

To all that have served & have paid the ultimate price for their service, thank you, I appreciate what you've done for me & my family.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, haldir said:

well, that would cover my grandfathers, one of whom was most probably in internment in France at the time (after running away from occupied Netherlands and 'losing' his papers), and the other was training on bombers in Canada at the time.

So no, no family directly involved as far as I'm aware.

• Like 7