JUNE: Getting to know you more!!

haldir

3 hours ago, haldir said:

June 7th Question of the Day:

What is your largest miniature?

It’s either the Bones Roc or the mashup class Winged Cthulhu. Grymtalon the Roc wins on wingspan but Cthulhu is much taller. 

Smallest?

It would be some Warmaster elf archers. Nominally 10mm those little guys. 

Is it painted?

None of the Warmaster dudes have paint. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little early today, but since I'm still up,

What is your largest miniature? Smallest? Is it painted?

Don't have it anymore but a 1/48 scale Boeing B29 Superfortress. Smallest, probably a rabbit for a base for a 28mm mini.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Not sure what the largest is. Definitely nothing the size of Ma'al. Probably one of the dragons from the Bones 1 KS. None of them are painted.

Smallest is Gonads, a halfing barbarian from Heresy Miniatures. He is tiny. I've haven't attempted painting him.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

It’s either the Bones Roc or the mashup class Winged Cthulhu. Grymtalon the Roc wins on wingspan but Cthulhu is much taller. 

It would be some Warmaster elf archers. Nominally 10mm those little guys. 

None of the Warmaster dudes have paint. 

Hmm come to think of it, a few decades ago I painted two Warmaster Armies.

So those might be smaller or maybe equal to my little dino swarm critters.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Largest miniature is probably my Dragon King from Kingdom Death, he's sorta half painted (I hoped to speed through him with a quick base/wash/drybrush but it didn't work, so I gave up).

Smallest is probably my Wizkids Halfling Bards, they're unpainted because I really don't think I can do a decent job on something that small.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, haldir said:

If we are talking, traditional miniatures, then most likely largest is the Bones 5 Pirate ship. Smallest is probably a imp or quasit from Wizkids Nolzur's line up. 

That being said, I do have larger scale models.

Surprisingly the imp (not the quasit) actually has paint on it. Sophie's Revenge, I haven't even started on yet.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, haldir said:

I have  a couple of dollhouses that the Bones pirate ship would fit inside. 

If we're talking gaming, then the pirate ship is the largest plastic piece and I think Blightfang is my largest metal piece. Neither painted. 

Smallest would be some really old Ral Partha in 10mm. (or maybe 15mm)

• Like 8

10 hours ago, haldir said:

If you want to call it a miniature, then the Bones Pirate ship would be the largest.  It is unpainted.  The smallest is likely one of the familiars.  I've painted some of them.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Surprisingly, the answer to both is likely "a spaceship"

The biggest is either and imperial guard Valkyrie, or an enforcer fighter. I can't remember which is bigger. 

Now the smallest is definitely a single vesk fighter I made for starfinder. 

I'll try and get a picture of them together when I get home. 

I was wrong it's actually argent and the vesk fighter. The Valkyrie is slightly longer but argent has a much greater volume.

So here's the fighter perched on argent's head. 

538936021_PXL_20220608_0019426392.thumb.jpg.2112ad121b3832a873e86264d3eaa0c7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

On 6/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, haldir said:

June 6th Question of the Day:

1944, Normandy, France. If you don't know what day this in history,  please look it up. 

Did you have family involved in this day in 1944?

Mom's Family is Swedish, they were Neutral during the war...

Dad's father worked in the steel mills in Pittsburg, and as such, was an 'Essential war effort worker'

Had an uncle by maraige, he served in the Polish Army, was captured by the Russians and sent to Siberia!

Furthermore, he escaped the camp, and walked all the way to Odessa, in the Ukraine on the Black Sea!

Not sure how many miles, and how long it took, but...

Being a retired NON COMBAT Vet, I have talked to many vets, and those that served in combat tend to not talk about it, even to folks like me.

This is for 2 reasons, in my opinion...

1. They want to forget about the things they saw and did, and talking about it often brings back painful memories.

2. They figure that you were either there (ie in combat) or you weren't, and if you weren't, you wouldn't understand anyway...

12 hours ago, haldir said:

Largest

Painted plastic- DDS 2 Terrain and Dragon (not the characters)

004.thumb.JPG.1e5f754012abeeafcb5113d2b5ec6349.JPG

(That is a 15mm LST in the back left corner...)

Unpainted Plastic- Either Ma'al or Sophie's Revenge, both still in the unopened boxes...

Painted Metal- Takhisis... (click on I painted a Goddess blow for pics)

Unpainted Metal- Likely Gauth.... or maybe DDS 1? again, both still in the boxes....

(And yes my Gauth is Metal)

Smallest

Unpainted would likely be the 15mm infantry figure for Flames of War / Team Yankee WWIII... or the teeney tiny Taki 3d print for a project

(Shown with our Hero!)

002.thumb.JPG.c27cc2769ec92993a1236136829736bc.JPG003.thumb.JPG.0c804ee8555a7dffb29ebad4da23d9a1.JPG

Painted would likely be this familiar Vampire Rat, with Thregan Helmsplitter....

005.thumb.JPG.1d11f7693194307bb18cece08376cf18.JPG

The Drow

• Like 11

15 hours ago, haldir said:

Smallest unpainted: some chickens I don't remember ordering that I found the other day. Must've been for some terrain project or another. Oh well, they're going to Aegypt. 

Smallest painted: probably bones rats.

Largest unpainted: Mumak from GW. It spites me. I have no idea how to do justice to that much grey elephant flesh. 

Largest painted: GW Necron canoptek reanimator. I don't have a thing for giant minis. Some people like them, I get it. I don't paint to display, and I don't play games that have giant minis. I need to find something for the dozer in Stargrave: The Last Prospector that is more Egyptian, but I'll probably end up building a giant elemental or platform on a giant scarab or just proxying the Mumak. I would rather build colossal and impractical terrain. I have a life-sized foam head to use as my fallen colossus. I'm planning on casting my hand and have more or less life-sized rubber fingers to use, too. I might make an exception for the thigh bridge. You could march a 28mm army 2 or 3 ranks abreast on my thunder thighs. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Mumak from GW. It spites me. I have no idea how to do justice to that much grey elephant flesh. 

I think I have this one also. But Cthulhu is taller and Grymmtalon is wider with the wingspan. 

That is if we are talking about the Haradrim Oliphant from Lord of the Rings?

• Like 4