Forlarren

Here's my current project: a forlarren.

Forlarren front view.

Forlarren side view (right).

Forlarren back view.

Forlarren side view (left).

I've been slowly getting back to painting after a long hiatus, and I really wanted to work on contrast. So I've been painting things in grisaille to work on values. So far the only colors I've used have been Dragon White, Solid Black, and greys mixed from those two.  I plan to add color later. Right now I'm just focusing on my darks and lights.

It doesn't come through as clearly in these close-ups, but there is a strong contrast between the uppermost portion of the model and the lower.  Starting from the neckline of her shirt up everything looks quite bright.  Everything lower than that is pretty dark, and maybe a tad too uniform in value.

• Like 9

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent some time smoothing out blends, checking for missed blacklining, and evening out the values a bit. She was too bright from the shoulders up before.

Forlarren stage 2 front view

Forlarren stage 2 side view left.

Forlarren stage 2 back view.

Forlarren stage 2 right view.

Hmm. Her ears still need attention.

The photography turned out better.  The backdrop I was using the first time was much too busy.  This one is the back of my copy of The Anglo-Saxon Poetic Records vol VI, the minor poems.

• Like 7

A forlarren is the offspring of a nymph and a demon.  They first appear in the Tome of Horrors under 3.5, then got updated to Pathfinder 1e.  Not sure if they made the jump to Pathfinder 2e.

This model was patterned off the Tome of Horrors creature art. I got it as part of a Kickstarter by Center Stage Minis a number of years ago.  They set out to make minis for a bunch of the Tome of Horrors creatures.  Things went badly, and they went bankrupt before fulfillment.  The greens for the partially-complete line of Tome of Horrors minis got sold off to Pace Setter Games, which produced a limited run of the ones that were finished and sold them (at a major discount, pretty near cost) to the Kickstarter backers.  I don't think any of the minis from that are still in production.  Pace Setter is still around, but it looks like they're focusing on publishing adventures rather than producing minis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More work. First some attention to jewelry, ears and deepening a few shadows.

Forlarren stage 3 front view

Forlarren stage 3 left view

Forlarren stage 3 back view

Forlarren stage 3 right view

And then I started adding color.

Forlarren stage 4 front view

Forlarren stage 4 left view

Forlarren stage 4 back view

Forlarren stage 4 right view

Her skin has a couple thin layers of Quinacridone Magenta with just a bit of Pthalo Blue. Her clothing is plain Pthalo Blue.  Jewelry got Primary Yellow, her horns and hooves I hit with a sepia glaze, and her eyes got Fireball Orange.  All of those are from Golden, except the Fireball Orange which is a Reaper color.

Hrm.  I'm not sold on the skin. It came out too uniform. I was hoping the underpainting would show through better.  I have not sealed her yet.  I'm going to ponder for a while.

For consistency's sake, I used the same paint-in-greyscale technique on her base.

Forlarren base 01

And then added color to that.

Forlarren base stage 2

The Runes are Pthalo Blue, with a bit of pure white in the center to punch up the brightness. The moss is Pthalo Green, with a tiny bit of Formula P3 Wurm Green in a few spots. The root is just some Oiled Leather diluted with a bit of matte medium.  I finished off the edge in Walnut Brown and the stone is just the same grey it always was. I went ahead and sealed the base, it's ready to go.

• Like 8