Ma'al Drakar Finished

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

Fantastic paint job! Definitely going to reference this when my 30th anniversary dragon comes in!

Well if you're curious about what I used or how I did any of it, just ask. I never pass up a chance to talk hobby.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cursed13 said:

Well if you're curious about what I used or how I did any of it, just ask. I never pass up a chance to talk hobby.

I'm still trying to decide which color scheme to use, but I am curious about the colors you used on the belly scales on the red head.

This came out fantastic! I particularly like the scale shading and transition. The white dragon is my favorite of the bunch as I find them to be the hardest to paint and yours is excellent. The mouth and ears off set it very well by the pink. Your horns are particularly good. If I was to find any critique it would be I wish you had used some greenstuff to clean up the joining point on the tail. You should be proud of it great job.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warlock1459 said:

This came out fantastic! I particularly like the scale shading and transition. The white dragon is my favorite of the bunch as I find them to be the hardest to paint and yours is excellent. The mouth and ears off set it very well by the pink. Your horns are particularly good. If I was to find any critique it would be I wish you had used some greenstuff to clean up the joining point on the tail. You should be proud of it great job.   

Yeah it bothers me too, but he just wanted it painted. Maybe I should have just done it anyway... But yes, I was really playing around with the white head so that I could decide how I wanted to tackle Argent, since silver dragons are canonically white with silver flecks.

2 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

I'm still trying to decide which color scheme to use, but I am curious about the colors you used on the belly scales on the red head.

I used 09029 Earth Brown as the darkest, with 09031 Tanned Leather and 09032 Amber Gold as my mid tones with a mix of Amber Gold and 09062 Leather White as the highlight, but I keep a mix of the neighbouring two on my wet palette as I do it, so it's never just the straight from the bottle colour, and I also used a glaze of Earth Brown frequently to bring the colours back down.

Picking just one colour is always the hardest part for me, thankfully I got to try six on this.

• Thanks 1

This is definitely an incredible piece. The membranes on the wings...the depth to the scales...it's all great. My favorite aspect is the way you gave the various heads different eye colors. It's a detail that would have never occurred to me (I'd have painted them all the same color without giving it any thought). It's a small detail that I really enjoy on this piece.

• Thanks 1