Ral Partha Male and Female Fighter in Plate, sculpted by Jim Johnson

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Great work!  Love the rich red color.

Thanks, if I remember correctly, I used Asmodeus Red as the base color, and then went up and down from there.  I heard about Asmodeus Red from Anne's show and have started using it, it's a great color!

9 hours ago, KruleBear said:

Those reds are luscious, but I Find the black leathers to be wonderfully highlighted. Your execution of the contrasts really make thes3 beautiful minis to look at. 

Thanks KruleBear!   The Black of course started out as pure black and then afterwards started highlights from there, starting with Dark Elf Shadow, then I think Ritterlich Blue and some other blues and greys all the way up to white.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I agree with the above!

Wonderful red/black leather

Thanks, wanted to keep kind of a limited pallet with this one, red, black and bronze.  I even took the straps on the back of the calves and made them black as well, something I usually wouldn't do. 

2 hours ago, Rigel said:

Great work bringing out the personality in those faces! A beautiful matched pair. 

Brother and sister?

Girlfriend and boyfriend? 

At least they have matching outfits!

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 8:21 PM, 72moonglum said:

H In any case they just sit in a display case, a display case in my unfinished basement that nobody except myself ever sees, oh the humanity......

at least they're in case where the dust won't ruin them. You could always do a video crawl of the entire display, one end to the other, zooming in and out to focus on this or that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fencig said:

at least they're in case where the dust won't ruin them. You could always do a video crawl of the entire display, one end to the other, zooming in and out to focus on this or that

I've considered that and I'd done that in a small version in my Instagram account years ago. It would be fun to do again, maybe shelf by shelf or something like that.

The best thing about a collection of miniatures is they are small so quite a many of them fit in a small space!

20 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

I've considered that and I'd done that in a small version in my Instagram account years ago. It would be fun to do again, maybe shelf by shelf or something like that.

The best thing about a collection of miniatures is they are small so quite a many of them fit in a small space!

they're not actually easy to display once you get a lot of them.  I bought a small rectangular glass case, like a mini carvana tower, and it's full. most glass door'd cabinets are too deep for display. if you know of a good source, for tall, shallow, glass fronted cabinets please share

• Like 1

They both look fantastic; very nice work on them. :winkthumbs:

Also, very cool seeing more of Mr. Johnson's work; I like his style, so it's always a treat to see pieces of his that I am unfamiliar with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

They both look fantastic; very nice work on them. :winkthumbs:

Also, very cool seeing more of Mr. Johnson's work; I like his style, so it's always a treat to see pieces of his that I am unfamiliar with.

You know Chaoswolf, he has sculpted so many miniatures for so many companies it’s not hard to find something of his that you didn’t know existed before. I’m just a little curious to find out about him, as I’ve never seen a photo or heard an interview or really know anything about him at all. 

• Like 1

First off, they look great! 

Second, it's so interesting how i can spot your work because of your unique style.  I wish i had a style that was "my own" or a means of painting that identified me.  Still looking for what works and all, but think it's very cool you have "your" way of painting and it stands out. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

ThanksR2ED!

not sure about my style, I think it kind of developed in a vacuum, not having physical contact with other painters. I’ve tried to see what other folks do on line but ultimately have to figure it all out myself. Before the internet i used to do lots of drybrushing, and used really dark base colors but now I use the base color I actually want it to be in theory, then washes and shades to walnut brown, black or dark elf shadow and then highlight usually up to white but with very thin paint. 

Edited by 72moonglum

On 6/16/2022 at 2:55 PM, Fencig said:

if you know of a good source, for tall, shallow, glass fronted cabinets please share

If you get some business card holders and flip them on their sides, you'll end up with a little tiered platform (at least the size of medium sized characters). It can be a cheap way to increase the visibility of multiple minis in a too-deep display cabinet.

You really knocked it out of the park with these. The mail looks great and I'm impressed with the way you've added visual interest to unadorned shields.

Cool pair of minis. With darker hair, I feel like the male would have a Vlad the Impaler vibe. 🙂