Microsoft Puts Fingerprint Readers Into Hardware

Frankthedm

Microsoft Puts Fingerprint Readers Into Hardware

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...t_hardware_dc_1

1 hour, 46 minutes ago

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Wednesday unveiled a new array of keyboard and mice, with some featuring built-in fingerprint readers to make it easier for users to log on to personal computers and Web sites.

A keyboard, mouse and stand-alone fingerprint reader were added to Microsoft's hardware lineup, which works with software to verify and switch between users of its Windows operating system, as well as automatically enter the identifications and passwords needed to log onto secure Web pages.

In its annual refresh of its computer input hardware, the world's largest software maker also introduced a new small wireless mouse designed for laptop computers and keyboards with a zoom slider bar to shrink or enlarge digital text or photographs.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft, which discontinued its hardware networking business earlier this year, said that it would continue to introduce new keyboard, mice and PC input-related products using technology derived in part from its $6 billion annual research and development efforts.

Hardware with built-in fingerprint recognition is expected to retail at between $55 and $110, while the wireless notebook mouse will sell for $45 and the keyboard with zoom for $35, Microsoft said.

Microsoft is not the first to introduce fingerprint recognition hardware. Sony Corp (news - web sites). (6758.T), Targus and other manufacturers also sell fingerprint readers to boost computer security, although Microsoft says its new hardware is more for convenience.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a little "paranoid" but, doesn't it bother anyone that they can have your finger prints on record @ M$? Of course they say they wouldn't do something like that but, uh, would you trust them? Obviously that information has to be stored somewhere for it to work on websites and the like... OK, i'm going back to the relative safety of my head now :wacko:

Yeah... biometrics are pretty cool.

They can also tell if you've just sliced the thumb off the CEO and are trying to get to his files.

You can get other biometric devices already on the market.

That's why you take the whole hand.

Hehe... no, taking the whole hand isn't the answer either.. you have to take a whole living CEO under duress.

I'd be less paranoid about biometric information than all the other ways you can be tracked. For starters, it's a choice.. as an admin you can chose to use it or not. It's there to make your life easier or more secure.. if you want to use passwords.. fine.. no big deal. Everytime you log in can be tracked and broadcast. Wherever you go can be tracked and broadcast. Whatever you look at, how long you look at it and where you came from *is* tracked.

When you go to the grocery store, and chose to use your shoppers card, the patterns of what you buy can/are tracked. Pay for it via credit card or debit card? Tracked. Drive/walk/bobsled to and from the store, take a look at various lamp-posts, store fixtures etc... you're being videoed.

Cellphones? Insecure communications... cordless phone? Even a bored amature can listen in to what you have to say.

And that just scratched the surface of what you have to be paranoid about.

Call me a little "paranoid" but, doesn't it bother anyone that they can have your finger prints on record @ M$? Of course they say they wouldn't do something like that but, uh, would you trust them? Obviously that information has to be stored somewhere for it to work on websites and the like... OK, i'm going back to the relative safety of my head now :wacko:

Nonono.. heh.. it's not kept on a big mainframe under a mountain someplace.

When you set the hardware up on your computer, it's usually flashed into the reader and kept on the client machine. Thats how it knows who sits down at a machine to work, so secretaries don't have to call the helpdesk every 7 days because they forgot their password and they system was shutdown and logged off over the weekend.

It also just keeps record of who you are and enters it when you go to a website that requires secure data (kinda like a browser that remembers passwords)

Look at my other post about things to be paranoid about.

Yeah... biometrics are pretty cool.

They can also tell if you've just sliced the thumb off the CEO and are trying to get to his files.

You can get other biometric devices already on the market.

Interesting! Which companies are making the ones that look for a living being with a pulse? Most of the biometrics I've read about are still relatively easy to spoof.

For example: Use a dust/compound to draw-out a latent fingerprint on the pad, put on a latex glove, carefully depress the glove on the pad. Voila! A person with a pulse and "fingerprint" to be read... Of course, combining it with other technologies make a thumbprint reader more secure...

And you're right about the whole paranoia thing. Just remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya.

Rgds, :blink:

Then they'd be stumped by an Aussie invention.

Mechanical heart, about the same size as a new one, and with a life expectancy as long as the patients.

The only downsize, no pulse! Freaky.

Oh and what happens when people start putting in viruses to steal biometric data.

I wish MS would make their system tight enough that security wasn't an issue.

Then they'd be stumped by an Aussie invention.

Mechanical heart, about the same size as a new one, and with a life expectancy as long as the patients.

The only downsize, no pulse! Freaky.

Oh and what happens when people start putting in viruses to steal biometric data.

I wish MS would make their system tight enough that security wasn't an issue.

Oh yeah! I read about that. It just constantly circulates blood. Actually, it might have been on NPR that I heard about it.

Great M$ already tracks me everytime I turn on the big black box of higher learning (aka GAMING) now they want my fingerprint??? The local police from back home have them to many times and the Federal govt needs it so I can go to work. Please Bill jsut let me have some peace.

P.S. Its good to see Dr Who is still on down under.