Dremel cleaning

Has anyone ever stripped a metal mini with a Dremel (rotary tool)? The manufacturer claims that their stainless steel and carbon steel are good for soft metals and/or white metals. Has anyone tried it? Does it get through that awful gloss sealer that used minis all seem to have? Does it scratch the metal? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why you couldn't?  Just MAKE SURE to have eye protection, be outside or ventilated area, and go as slow as you can.  The speed on a dremmel could melt it.  I'd stick to a file or back of an xacto blade, but I'll be curious to hear your results.  Just don't breathe any of that dust in. 

I would not recommend it, a Dremel has a surprisingly powerful motor for such a little tool.   I use mine to remove the thicker bases from my metal Reaper miniatures (I like to create my own bases) and it chews through the metal quite easily.  

The manufacturer claims that their stainless steel and carbon steel are good for soft metals and/or white metals.

It all depends on the type of head you attach, but I doubt Dremel had delicate finely detailed miniatures in mind when they made that claim.  I cannot imagine it not scratching the metal up.  If you are going to try, attempt it on an inconspicuous section first.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:19 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

Has anyone ever stripped a metal mini with a Dremel (rotary tool)?

No, I have not. I'm assuming you are talking about stripping paint off a metal mini? Sounds risky unless you have a very steady, practiced hand at it. If you aren't keen on using solvents and REALLY want to use something abrasive, you might gently try some steel wool, or possibly try a battery-powered nail polisher; they rotate at a much lower RPM than a rotary tool, probably easier to control. You still might scratch the metal though.

14 hours ago, cmorse said:

A steel wire wheel on a miniature? Sounds like a bad idea to me. 

There is precedent for using a brass wire brush on metal miniatures. Some high-level painters use it to remove tarnish/oxidation from the surface during their prep stage to make the mini shiny (Lukasz/C'tan from Poland shows his prep in an article here on his blog). Some forego the dremel and just use the brush by hand. Here are the results from an older CMON forum article on shading metallics that briefly delved into that hand-brush style of prep (no polish vs polishing):

metals_article01.jpg.30317ddb3ce49a3e06411dab8b301b0c.jpg

On 6/19/2022 at 12:00 PM, R2ED said:

The speed on a dremmel could melt it.

I doubt it would melt a pewter mini, melting point of most lead-free casting pewters is over 400 F. Definitely heat it up, but more likely it'd get too hot to be able to hold onto without sufficient heat gloves (which would need to be thick enough and probably would get torn up by errant movements from the rotary tool).

• Like 1

You know i was thinking you meant cleaning off flash, not stripping paint. 

If you're talking removing paint i can't state enough good things about LAs Awesome Cleaner you can get a dollar tree. Works like a charm. 

Speaking of stripping, I subscribe to a couple of scale modeling channels on the 'tube & one did experiment with a new eco-friendly stripper. Since the guy uses Castrol Super Clean (or Super Clean now - purple spray or jug bottle). Anyways he did a series of tests with styrene plastic car bodies & various paint brands. Out of the brands, Tamiya spray is one of the hardest to get rid of (it's a weird spray), but the results of the test which he showed pulling the bodies out of the tubs, the Tamiya just slid off or distrengrated upon touching it. The stuff's website is on my phone, but if your interested, I can edit this post later.

I recall the prices weren't that bad either + the 'tube channel had a discount code for it as well. I'm not sure if they ship/sell in Canada thou, so that might be a big problem. The paint brands he tested were Tamiya on bare plastic, Testor's lacquer with primer, Testor's enamel with primer, & Rustoleum with primer. I think he heavy handed the Rustoleum just to see if it would strip it.