Painting During the Pandemic 2022: Summer's small statues

I didn't complete my goals for June. So I think I will take it down a notch in July. I also need to work on an entry for Reapercon; so quality over quantity

My goals for July are:

• Paint a game token for Marvel United
  •  Paint this month's Mithril miniature
  •  Paint one figure from the annual box
  •  Start a diorama for Reapercon. This will also count as my terrain piece for July

buckyball

Hobby goals for 2022

Painting one piece of terrain each month [ 6 so far]

Painting the 17 miniatures in my annual box and finish the one from last year [ 11 so far]

Painting  one game token each month [ 9 so far]

Painting one Mithril miniature each month [ 7 so far]

Use up my remaining clear acrylic bases, which will give me a reason to order more

• Like 5

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/2/2022 at 6:53 PM, Inarah said:

I'm going to keep slogging along, doing whatever attracts me at the time.  I've been feeling a serious post-pandemic burnout in a lot of areas of my life including painting.  No contests, no deadlines.  It seems to be working for me.  I finished 9 in May.

~12 in June plus terrain. Going to keep on keepin' on. 

• Like 5

Keeping it simple seems to be working for me at the moment, so this month I'm mainly going to be concentrating on my Ghostly Ferryman. 

But I also want to start something for Kingdom Deaths Pin-up competition, and I'm waiting to see if Reapers latest quarterly competition is going to be something I find interesting.  

• Like 5

Since I'm playing a bunch of No Man's Sky and also plan on progressing further in Mass Effect, I'm going to keep it simple... 

- rearrange living room to give Voron Trident a more stable table

- work on Zaku 1 Sniper conversion 

- finish waterslide decals on Strike Rouge

• Like 4

I've managed to clear out my desk so there aren't hundreds of sad grey eyes looking at me.

I've got some kitbashed knights for Sludge/black powder and the Footsore miniatures Welsh in front of me and some fishes from Bones 5 Dark Depths. 

I'd love to finish those off and tackle something big, maybe an army project or a Bones 5 expansion. Will have a think.

• Like 4

I got out to play some Saga (Dark Ages somewhat historical skirmish) last weekend, and found inspiration to finish up a few Norman crossbowman. These are wanted to be able to deploy a Norman war band, and three of the four have been primed and glued to tongue depressors since the late ‘90s. 🙄 I am resolved this month to take whatever inspiration the Muses send, so, Dark Ages it is…

• Like 5

Putting in a lot of painting time.  but apparently this month is quality over quantity.   I should do show-off threads, IM really happy with them ... 

1. Zita - female efreet

2. 3 headed troll 

4. tiny fox  (holy monster companion) limited pallet 

*is that how numbers work?* 

Goals :
noble woman in opera dress 

impressionist canvas backdrop (5x7") 

2 elves 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

On 7/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, Brianuk said:

I've managed to clear out my desk so there aren't hundreds of sad grey eyes looking at me.

I've got some kitbashed knights for Sludge/black powder and the Footsore miniatures Welsh in front of me and some fishes from Bones 5 Dark Depths. 

I'd love to finish those off and tackle something big, maybe an army project or a Bones 5 expansion. Will have a think.

Not doing too badly. I've been busy with work and some other things but still managed to get a healthy amount of painting done. 

Painted the fish from Dark Depths

I kept dropping the blinking dark age Welsh, so the paint job turned into a restoration half way through, but have finished them. 

I have painted some cavalry and other bits for a black powder orc army for Sludge, and played a game of it on Friday, so that was good. 

I then got the new Oathmark orcs and painted a unit of those. 

And I had some satyrs kicking about and paintes them using contrast paints and the new citadel washes. 

Looking ahead, I wanted to be able to put on a game of the Battle of the Five Armies (battle of the five warbands maybe) and will probably have enough orcs etc by end of year. I'd need a Beorn, and some eagles. 

I still want to paint a whole Bones expansion, or an army, or something big. Am mulling over what to do there. 

• Like 4

I started a new job in February. While that was fantastic for me for many reasons, it was terrible for maintaining my painting schedule. I got almost no painting done between March and June and fell massively behind schedule.

My painting goals for each month are:

• Paint 2 minis per week
  • One of which must be painted in under 2 hours per mini (to move towards my overarching life goal of "progress, not perfection")
  • Paint 1 terrain piece per week

At the start of July I was a massive 46 minis and 17 terrain pieces behind schedule!

The kids wanted to do some painting and found some cool Moana coconut people from one of the Patreons I subscribe to, so I 3D printed those and we spent a day painting them. That allowed me to catch up a little.

Then, a week ago, came some good news and bad news.

The bad news was I got COVID. The good news is that it has been mild enough so far that I've been able to spend a lot of my mandatory isolation period painting.

In July I've now painted 22 terrain pieces and 14 minis. So I've fully caught up on my terrain and I'm only(!) 40 minis behind schedule.

I hope to paint a few more minis in the next few days to catch up a little more but, either way, I feel that just getting back to painting has been an accomplishment in and of itself.

I'll post pics of everything from this month in a few days.

Lucky I got my painting mojo back, because my Dungeons and Lasers pledge arrived this week. There's around 200 minis and a tonne of scenery pieces in there. I'm going to need a lot of time off work to ever get through it all!

• Like 4

I did really great in July, I finished 8!

Midlam Halfling Ratcatcher    HTC21
Black Dragon Wyrmling    WZK73850
Bones 5 Townsperson    B5-217
Henchwomen, Woman-at-Arms    B5-407
Bones 5 Townsperson    B5-225
Bones 5 Townsperson    B5-213
Townsfolk III - Milkmaid    77737
Townsfolk II - Angry Woman    77666

I have been on a townsfolk painting spree!

• Like 3