Jumpin' July! M.E.O.W. takes Command

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, July 18: How far do you live from where you were raised?

About 550 miles  (or 880 km).  My parents still live in the house they have had since before I was born, and I visit them as regularly as I can, given the distance, but I haven’t lived there in 40 years or so.  I’m a little surprised at the “close to home” numbers.

• Like 7

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Pretty far. I lived in Asia and Europe until I was a teenager. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Um....yes?

I've moved A LOT during my life, even during  childhood. 

I'll go with approximately 1800 miles; grew up in the Northeast,  currently living in Texas. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Since the age of 6 I've lived within the same 2 square mile area.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Zero feet. Since having to move back in with parents for a variety of reasons, I'm right back in the house we moved into when we first came to our state many moons ago. It has its perks; I save on rent and have someone to keep Molly and Dixie company when I am at work, while being able to assist my aging parents with house upkeep, and, most importantly, keeping them from doing things that they have no business doing (ladder work, roof work, heavy objects, etc).

• Like 7

On 7/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, TGP said:

Sunday, July 17: Is your innate sense of time hopeless or accurate?

“I ain’t as good as I once was…”

Can you tell —or feel— what time it is without looking at a clock?

Sometimes I can, but it is getting worse.  I missed the beginning of a mystery TV show last night because of the worsening. 

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Six Miles?

Depends on which house I count. All the houses that child me remembers are still standing….

• Like 7

On 7/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

The way to do this is through acid refining, where the gold alloy is dissolved in Aqua Regia and then a reagent is applied that causes the gold to fall out of solution leaving the other metals dissolved.  This process gives you 24K pure gold to work with.  It is a rather dangerous process that requires the right equipment and chemistry knowledge, so most jewelers send their scrap gold alloys into companies that do this for them, returning casting gold for a 20-25% cut in the value of the gold.  That really hurts when gold is $1800 an ounce.

I play with aqua regia most days.  Fun stuff.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, TGP said:

Saturday, July 16: How late do you like to sleep in? What time /how late did you wake up today?

I went out of town saturday, so I slept in till 7am or so.

Sunday, July 17: Is your innate sense of time hopeless or accurate? Can you tell —or feel— what time it is without looking at a clock?

Depends on what I'm doing, so somewhere in between.

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

About an hours drive north.

• Like 7

Tuesday, July 19: Cereal Grains (wheat, corn, rice, quinoa, etc...), a major part of human diet in nearly every culture; what is your preferred grain and favorite method of consumption.

(Today's question popped into my head out of nowhere; I may be going mad.)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, knarthex said:

I keep forgetting u

Your a g' ilander... 😀

Means you're likely less than 100 miles from me, less when I'm at work in the city...

We are practically neighbors.

When Cap'n John & I crossed the Hudson on the Tappan Zee back in '16, I thought George must live somewhere around here.

26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, July 19: Cereal Grains (wheat, corn, rice, quinoa, etc...), a major part of human diet in nearly every culture; what is your preferred grain and favorite method of consumption.

Mashed potatoes, The Staple of Life.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Though I cut down heavily on carbs in my personal daily diet, wheat bread is always welcome. Lightly buttered, it pairs with just about every kind of meal or just by itself. For several years I even baked my own bread.

As a planned part of a meal, I am very fond of rice. I even own a high end Zojirushi rice cooker where I add a bit of leftover broth for some good savoury flavouring.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hmmm, hard to say.  They go well as a sandwich, tacos, or a wide variety of things...  But pretzels are always lovely. 

• Like 7