Transparent vs Contrast

R2ED

I've seen countless videos on using GW contrast paints.  I've also seen their new line coming out and looks pretty exciting.  However, like most of us, i have waaaaaay too many paints than i realistically use.  I've of the sets i bought was the Monument Hobbies transparent paint line.  I had assumed this to be a Contrast paint-like range.  

I've put it on a few fodder models, but man did it cover.  I don't think the contrast over zenithal is my paint style, so i struggle with how to use it.  

My question is: are the transparent paints MH version of GW contrast paints?  

Does anyone use the transparent line?  How do they use it?  Do you mix it, airbrush, or thin it?  I feel like i bought something i can't find much about or fully understand how to use it to the fullest.  

Looking for help. 

• Like 1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about Monument paint, but in general transparent paint just means they chose pigments that aren't particularly opaque. If you paint it over a black line you'd many many coats before the black line vanished. Other than that it's usually the same as any other paint within it's own line. Be aware that whatever is underneath will show through more, but aside from that it's just paint.

Contrast type paints and washes add things like extra flow aid and medium to help the pigment pool in recesses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cmorsethank you.  I've kind of figured what they are, but more trying to figure out how to use them to their fullest.  Does someone use just these as a means to speed paint?  Do they use them as the base coat and shade, then layering up on them?  If they do, is there chance of reactivating? Do they use mediums to push them?  I see so many people online using the crap out of gw paints, but can't find much about MH.

I am not familiar with Monument Hobbies, but with other companies their transparent paint lines are generally best for glazing techniques. Typically heavily watering down your paints to make glazes can make them very runny and harder to control on your model, where as transparent paints retain that paint-like consistency. I have tried Vallejo's transparent line but I was not a fan, I have found I have much greater success making my own glazes by mixing my regular paints with a glaze medium that way I have much more control over the transparency (I prefer very thin subtle glazes, built up over many layers).

Edited by Dan S
  • Thanks 1

@Dan Si couldn't agree more.  I feel like i bought the paint line thinking it'd be a solution and same me time but my own style of painting is layering and glazing.  The few I've tried seem to cover the work i did more than enhance or glaze it.  

I guess I'm hoping someone on here goes,  "oh i love that stuff. I use it for 'x' and it's super easy when i do 'x'."  

Might just be more paint on my rack. 

• Like 1

Hi!

For me it depends on the individual color, as some of GWs are way too dark/thick

But I tend to use them as a final glaze/wash combo, so

base coat

lighter layer color

lighter highlight

final glaze/wash with contrast paint (sometimes thinned)

It helps blend the layer border lines for me

but I find I do need to use a much lighter base color/highlights

and I'm not that good at color theory - so ask my partner the trained artist what under color to use   lol

they work really nicely over Reapers skin triads (at least for me)

hope this helps some!

• Thanks 1