Jump to content

Reaper Catoblepas WIP


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, knarthex said:

 

Sadly, Micro-Mark doesn't carry that shape of scraper anymore. It's more or less a wooden handle with a long tri-blade now.

 

Looking good! Love the swamp weeds in it's mouth. Feels like something that would have really added to the final figure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haldir said:

 

Sadly, Micro-Mark doesn't carry that shape of scraper anymore. It's more or less a wooden handle with a long tri-blade now.

 

Looking good! Love the swamp weeds in it's mouth. Feels like something that would have really added to the final figure.

 Some people got them from Amazon..

Don't know if that's still possible...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 7/3/2022 at 6:31 PM, haldir said:

Feels like something that would have really added to the final figure.

Wanted to, but it would have added more parts and cost to the figure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I started pushing paint around on Monday and Tuesday.  First, I airbrushed the grey and purple areas (underside and tail).  I got too carried away with the highlights and it got too light.  I will likely use a glaze to darken all of the grey areas or to even color change it to a ruddy brown; still thinking on it.

The back scutes, I am painting Mwangi brown, but with green highlights to reflect a thin coat of algae growing on it.  I shaded this area in Brown Liner, then started working through  a shade color and mid-tone glazes of the greens.  I have one side done to that point.  I'll finish the other side and then start highlighting the green parts.  I think I will also paint the head this way as well.

 

IMG_8014.jpg.ef4543b1ce82870eb80e97aad0be4714.jpg

 

IMG_8016.jpg.3004d5fd715512a7f6ed0cd8230239a2.jpgIMG_8017.jpg.2cc121457c43e21f3db5c0c4b2dc4f84.jpg

 

IMG_8020.jpg.f92eea3a45bdafa77944f40d37169226.jpg

 

1644184034_IMG_8029(1).jpg.a1d112ae76819657fa0168f2de504a1d.jpg

 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I finished the back scales to the first highlight, lots more to go on that.  While painting that I began to loathe my color choice for the body; I mean it looks like primer with a bit of purple thrown in.  It just really feels discordant with the back (which I love how that is turning out).  I did a bunch of tests with glazes and really didn't find a solution, so I scrapped the grey all together and painted it Ruddy Brown.  That means I will have to hand paint all my shadows, but I think it looks a lot better already with just a base coat.

image.png.449168e953eef9eac826386aba5589f2.png

 

image.png.b99f5627830a2b3e6206011c45b7933c.png

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Sorry for the lack of updates; I've gotten a lot done.  I am basically at a point where I am highlighting everything.  I'm about 75% done with it, not including the base.  I will start sculpting the base at lunch today.  I hope to have the main critter at about 90% by the weekend so I can start painting the base this weekend and next week and then put it all together next weekend. 

 

I have a few ideas for some additions I want to sculpt for it too, but will hold off on those until the whole is done, in case time gets away from me (still have a ton of prep to do for my RCon classes too).

image.png.f6f8964f2359f1d80f0bdce9389ac6e3.png

 

image.png.2d23956ff28390537418a35182a2af85.png

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Put a bunch of time into highlighting this last week.  I also started sculpting the base.  I tried a blue background this time, but I am not sure how successful the pictures were, as the eye looks a bit more washed out than it should.  Anyway, you get the point; they are just WIP pictures from my bench, so they're not going to be perfect lighting.

image.png.11b7289b502a96f06d9608bc7a3a88c0.png

 

image.png.f2dcd80c0a39edbf0d67bee88f63db46.png

 

Still have more highlighting to do, especially on the spines, nails, belly fur, and weeds in its mouth.  I hope to get all that done tonight and then focus on painting the base.

 

And the current state of the base:

image.png.357dafa823069c00d387d8bd8072dcc4.png

 

I hope to finish the sculpting on this during lunch today. I am also thinking of printing off a REALLY tiny version of Arakoth and sticking her on the stump or under the log.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...