Weapons Locker(s) 80034

Given all the things I've been working on, for some reason I suddenly decided I needed to finish these weapons lockers! Plastic Bones Chronoscope pieces. I think I base coated them in Stynelrez green primer a while ago(year +?) And they've been sitting on the painting table ever since.

Sunday evening I applied a Flory Brown wash, then wiped off the excess Monday morning. Sat down last night and painted the details. Highlights and weathering were done with colored pencils. 

20220719_060656.jpg

20220719_060719.jpg

20220718_091020.jpg

• Like 20

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Cool!  The super weathered one!  They need a Private to scrape the rust off with a spoon and repaint it with a toothbrush.

I provided that to show how the Flory Wash looks.  They both looked like the one on the left.  The one on the right has just been wiped down.  The top two pictures show what the finished result was after wiping down the wash and painting the details. It's neat stuff for traditional models and terrain.  Wouldn't work so great for figures since it's water soluble.

• Like 1

I think maybe, I'm so used to it, but a little silver weathering around the edges where people interact with it would be a nice addition. I like the look of the wash. Is it a enamel wash?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I think maybe, I'm so used to it, but a little silver weathering around the edges where people interact with it would be a nice addition. I like the look of the wash. Is it a enamel wash?

There is some, but I use graphite (pencil lead), so the metallic effect is much more subdued than using silver paint.  Also quick cell phone camera pictures so the quality isn't too great.

Flory washes are water based clay.  Comes in about a half-dozen shades.  You paint it on, let dry, and then go back over it with a moistened Q-Tip or towel to wipe away the excess. Swipe perpendicular to the recesses and it leaves the wash in there and removes it from the surface.  If you don't like the way it looks you can just apply more water and wash it off.  If you want to do more work over an area you have to seal the wash in, otherwise it'll just lift up.  In this case I have an old dishtowel that I used for the main areas, and Q-Tips get into the tighter areas around the hinges.  Great for applications like this.  It was developed for use on plastic model kits.  I used the black on Airstream trailer I posted earlier this year.  If you Google "Flory washes" you get the guys page and you tube videos showing how to use it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

There is some, but I use graphite (pencil lead), so the metallic effect is much more subdued than using silver paint.  Also quick cell phone camera pictures so the quality isn't too great.

Flory washes are water based clay.  Comes in about a half-dozen shades.  You paint it on, let dry, and then go back over it with a moistened Q-Tip or towel to wipe away the excess. Swipe perpendicular to the recesses and it leaves the wash in there and removes it from the surface.  If you don't like the way it looks you can just apply more water and wash it off.  If you want to do more work over an area you have to seal the wash in, otherwise it'll just lift up.  In this case I have an old dishtowel that I used for the main areas, and Q-Tips get into the tighter areas around the hinges.  Great for applications like this.  It was developed for use on plastic model kits.  I used the black on Airstream trailer I posted earlier this year.  If you Google "Flory washes" you get the guys page and you tube videos showing how to use it.

Sounds pretty much like Tamiya panel line washes, thou they are enamel & a traditional wash you just paint your lines, then after they dry go back with some thinner & wipe the excess away. Sounds interesting.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, Grand Slam said:

These look good. Weathering with a graphite pencil sounds like a clever way to get some slightly metallic weathering. Good idea.

Old school armor (tank) weathering technique. 

• Like 1