The Mighty Zeus! (AKA The Storm Giant) WIP

This is what happens when you spend an afternoon watching a double bill of Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans (80's version), you remember you picked up a big Zeus-alike in a Kickstarter and you must paint him NOW:-

CJd7UmR.jpg

Here he is all washed, boiled, straightened, scraped, assembled and primed.

xLXP1jd.jpg

Since I'm a messy drybrusher, I did the base first.

The stone started with a base of Stone Grey, while the dirt is Leather Brown, it all got a Black Wash, then the stone got a heavy drybrush of more Stone Grey and then everything got a lighter drybrush of Ghost Grey.

Since he's so big, I'm going to paint him in sections, starting with his left leg.

• Like 11

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, aku-chan said:

This is what happens when you spend an afternoon watching a double bill of Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans (80's version), you remember you picked up a big Zeus-alike in a Kickstarter and you must paint him NOW:-

Wonderful inspiration to get the painting started. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, that is a lovely mini!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Wonderful inspiration to get the painting started. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, that is a lovely mini!

It is a nice mini, not too detail heavy, so I have a chance of finishing it!

HYLviC1.jpg

I have a leg.

This was a base of Dwarf Flesh, shaded with Flesh Wash (Just in the recesses and around the edges), tidied this up with some thinned Dwarf Flesh, did a few highlights of 1:1 Dwarf Flesh/Light Flesh and then hit it with loads of glazes of very thin Dwarf Flesh to try and smooth it all out.

He then got some Iraqi Sand toenails with a Sepia Wash at their roots.

Start on the shin protector tomorrow.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Ganryu Kojiro said:

I feel your pain about details. I like a good, clean sculpt. Makes it easier to come up with a pleasing composition.

Off to a great start 🙂

Thanks!

Normally I'm all about 'Moar details!', they distract the eye from the fairly basic paint-job I've done, but on big minis like this they can very easily get overwhelming.

ARFjXAs.jpg

Painted his shin-guard.

The steel parts are 1:1 Pure Black/Oily Steel > Oily Steel > Black Wash > Oily Steel, while the bronze parts are Leather Brown > Bronze > Brown Wash > Bronze > 1:1 Bronze/Polished Gold.

There's also some Leather Brown straps.

Now to repeat all this on his other leg!

• Like 9

qGQmjpE.jpgIhaRoxf.jpg

Painted his underwear. This was just a base of Steel Grey, 1:1 Steel Grey/Ghost Grey for highlights, targeted Black Wash for shading and then some thinned Steel Grey to tidy up.

Then I did his loincloth. This was a base of Iraqi Sand given an all over Sepia Wash, then highlights of Iraqi Sand and Bonewhite and some of the gentler folds smoothed out with an Iraqi Sand glaze.

Going to work through all the dangly bits he's got going on in front.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

qGQmjpE.jpgIhaRoxf.jpg

Painted his underwear. This was just a base of Steel Grey, 1:1 Steel Grey/Ghost Grey for highlights, targeted Black Wash for shading and then some thinned Steel Grey to tidy up.

Then I did his loincloth. This was a base of Iraqi Sand given an all over Sepia Wash, then highlights of Iraqi Sand and Bonewhite and some of the gentler folds smoothed out with an Iraqi Sand glaze.

Going to work through all the dangly bits he's got going on in front.

Coming along really well!

And, bless you, it's taking a lot of self control not to make a dirty joke with that set up, there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, Ganryu Kojiro said:

Coming along really well!

And, bless you, it's taking a lot of self control not to make a dirty joke with that set up, there.

Thanks!

My inner child insists that I refer to them like that.

hMlEIp5.jpg

Got a bit more done!

The blue danglers are a base of Magic Blue, given a Black Wash, highlights of Magic Blue and 2:1 Magic Blue/Ghost Grey and Brassy Brass studs and faces.

The red danglers are a base of 1:1 Scarlett Red/Leather Brown with Polished Gold decorations, given a Brown Wash, then highlights of the basecoat plus some 1:1 Polished Gold/Chainmail Silver highlights on the gold.

I then started on his sword, but found some bits of underwear and loincloth I missed, so those got done first.

UNk2uYZ.jpg

His sword blade (And chain) started with 1:1 Gunmetal Grey/Pure Black, then a coat of Oily Steel, then a Black Wash, then a highlight of Oily Steel. The chain was finished there, but the sword blade got an edging of Chainmail Sliver and another Black Wash.

Gotta paint the rest of his sword and other waist thingys next. 

• Like 8

9rspzb7.jpg8N1Xsx6.jpg

Got quite a few little bits done.

Big decorative  crotch flap (Ochre Yellow > Brown Wash > Ochre Yellow > 1:1 Ochre Yellow/Bonewhite > Sepia Wash),

Belt and sword handle (Leather Brown > 1:1 Leather Brown/Ochre Yellow > Brown Wash), the belt also got (Brassy Brass > Brown Wash > Brassy Brass > Bronze) decoration,

Sword decoration and grips (Bronze > Brown Wash > Bronze),

Ropey bits (1:1 Leather Brown/Iraqi Sand > Brown Wash > 1:1 Leather Brown/Iraqi Sand > 1:1:1 Leather Brown/Iraqi Sand/Bonewhite),

Man purse (Red Leather > Brown Wash > Red Leather > 1:1 Red Leather/Ochre Yellow with Bronze decoration),

Treasure chest (Parasite Brown > Ochre Yellow Drybrush > Brown Wash with Gunmetal Grey edging and Oily Steel lock).

And with that he's 50% done! Yay!

Bottom half of his torso to do next.

• Like 7

Finally made a bit of progress, a combo of flu and melancholia have kept me away from the painting table for a few days:-

7pX7Ykk.jpg

Everything was painted the same as previous metallic bits.

The shoulder pad is a steel face with bronze hair and brass horns.

The bracer is steel with a bronze trim (And squid motif picked out in 1:1 Chrome/Gunmetal Blue).

Plus steel knuckleduster.

Got some straps to do, then I start on the other half of his torso.

• Like 4

Awesome skin tones!  I just don’t understand how you can break down the pain job into pieces like that.  Once I put some tanned flesh on my palet, all his skin would have been basecoated.  

love watching it come together, section by section. 

19 hours ago, Rahz said:

Awesome skin tones!  I just don’t understand how you can break down the pain job into pieces like that.  Once I put some tanned flesh on my palet, all his skin would have been basecoated.  

love watching it come together, section by section. 

Thanks!

It's a little wasteful paint-wise, but I would get so bored working in just one colour for that long I'd never finish him! 

I'm just glad his upper half is so easily broken into segments.

CXWnGH0.jpg

Didn't get as much done as I would like, took a while to get in all the nooks and crannies of the chest strap, plus I had to do some repair work, the paint is starting to rub off where I'm handling him, even though I'm varnishing as I go.

Straps were done in 1:1 Brown Leather/Scarlett Red > 1:1:1 Brown Leather/Scarlett Red/Ochre Yellow > Brown Wash > 1:1:1 Brown Leather/Scarlett Red/Ochre Yellow, and the chest strap got a Bronze brooch and Oily Steel buckle.

Now I can do the upper half of his torso.

• Like 6